Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ZenDancer

Loneliness, presence and quitting TV

5 posts in this topic

howdy peeps,

lately I've been trying to cut back my consumption of Netflix/TV and spend more time being present and mindful in the evenings. It's really opened my eyes to how difficult I find it to be present when not actually meditating... There's a discomfort inside of me... a kind of low-grade depression that wants me to be constantly either doing something or zoning out with entertaintment... I know that path of self-enquiry requires me to spend more time in the present and actually 'ebving with myself'... Has anyone else experienced this? What have you learned?

Lucas

@ZenDancer The underlying uneasiness and dissatisfaction with life becomes quite apparent to me when I stop my habitual distracting activities. At the same time it feels more empowering and fulfilling to be quietly with those nasty feelings than immersing myself in distractions.

@ZenDancer

If you want to cut something, the best way is to replace it so you don’t have time to come back.

Try to find for yourself a new “distraction”, a healthier one like writing/editing/sport hobby WHILE you meditate daily. If you can manage at least 20 minutes of meditation daily, you are good to go for the next 3-6 months, after that rethink what you can add/cut right now. Repeat.

It’s a process of change when you replace things very slowly to not get an strong ego backlash. Habits, habits and more habits. Ofc will be times when you will fall back, but just do not mind them, love yourself and keep moving forwards. After all, you are doing it for your own well being.

"stay ?sitive" - Gautama Buddha (maybe)

Thanks @Dumivid  and @Markus both! I appreciate your thoughts and responses... I've decided to start tracking TV consumption, and set a target to limit it to 5 hours per week... I'll see how I go with that - if I can cut TV out in the evenings I should be able to hit that target... I dont want to be completely anti-social and refuse to watch a film with loved-ones now ands again, though I think that in time I may want to set the target even lower... 

I hope you're both keeping well.. it's great to find others on the forum have been working on similar issues ;)

Lucas

For me, it's YouTube and self-help content.

It's crazy how the mind comes up with rationalizations about how I'm better off than others, because I spend my time in a better manner. But the truth is that it still keeps me away from doing deep work and just being.

As Leo said, no matter how good your habit is, if you stop doing it for 7 days, and you face withdrawal symptoms, then it is an addiction.

We are enslaved by anything we do not consciously see. We are freed by conscious perception.

- Vernon Howard