noselfnofun

Is our memory about past events an illusion ?

35 posts in this topic

All we know of the past is through our thoughts, how do we know our past is even real if the only thing that can recall it is a thought? Dose anyone know if this has been spoken about before by other teachers?

I guess if two people go through the same experience you could say they then both remember it through similar thoughts, but how do we know they don't just share the same thoughts and the event never actually happened? Mind fuck 

I guess one way to look at it is lets say i cut myself, I will have a scar and a memory of the event of cutting myself. So the scar is evidence of cutting myself, but how do i know for sure, because the scar could of just appeared in the present moment and so could the thought of the memory of cutting myself and that would be enough for me to believe it actually happened?  

Edited by noselfnofun

You say that something has changed, when your memory doesn't match experience.
Did experience change, or did your memory change?

Edited by tsuki

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

10 minutes ago, tsuki said:

You say that something has changed, when your memory doesn't match experience.
Did experience change, or did your memory change?

Sorry don't quite follow what you mean? I mean to say did the past even happen, as all we know of it is through our thoughts, how do we know that thoughts just appear about the past but the past never actually took place in the first place. 

@noselfnofun You can't think your way out of thoughts, but you can convince yourself that it's impossible to do so.
You're asking the right questions. Keep going.

Edited by tsuki

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

@tsuki Yes we can just become aware of them, I guess this is what is meant by the world is maya

@noselfnofun Nah-ah. You're convinced again that you know what you're doing. That's how you get lost.

35 minutes ago, noselfnofun said:

, how do we know that thoughts just appear about the past but the past never actually took place in the first place. 

@noselfnofun Ever hear of "Last Thursdayisim" ?

Last Thursdayism (alternately Last Tuesdayism! or Last Wednesdayism) is the idea that the universe was created last Thursday, but with the physical appearance of being billions of years old. It's also a counter to the creationism theory. Under Last Thursdayism, books, fossils, light already on the way from distant stars, and literally everything (including your memories of the time before last Thursday) were all formed at the time of creation (last Thursday) in a state such that they appear much older.

Everything that is not directly experienced is technically an illusion.

Illusions are good if you want to tell a story, but you don't need them to live a life.

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

2 hours ago, noselfnofun said:

I guess one way to look at it is lets say i cut myself, I will have a scar and a memory of the event of cutting myself. So the scar is evidence of cutting myself, but how do i know for sure, because the scar could of just appeared in the present moment and so could the thought of the memory of cutting myself and that would be enough for me to believe it actually happened?  

“....but then I wake up, and see that it was a dream, in which “things were happening”. Some of it was great and some not so great, but it was all really actually me dreaming about.....wait....thought I saw something....oh, nevermind...nothing. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

1 hour ago, Shin said:

Everything that is not directly experienced is technically an illusion.

@noselfnofun The thoughts about the past are a direct experience. The past is not.

Alternatively, the past is just a thought, not concrete reality. And the thought always exists in the now.

Say you keep having a recurring thought about your mother. Where does the thought go when you're not thinking about your mother? When the thought comes back, how do you know it was the exactly the same thought you had before? How do you know you had that thought before?

All stories and explanations are false.

For those of us that are Last Thursdayites, today is a special day. . .  It’s Thursday baby!!! ? 

So get out there and create an amazing reality you can enjoy until Next Thursdayism kicks in.

Whoop whoop! It's Thursday (again).

All stories and explanations are false.

There is only the Now. All memories of past events happens in the Now. In that sense and understanding it's an illusion.

@noselfnofun

Along the Y axis of Now, memories are impulses appearing Now.

Along the X axis of the timeline construct, memories are representations of previous events. Yet, memories are not always “accurate”. There are many different ways to interpret life events and the mind often edits, deletes and adds in stuff to previous events.

I’m not sure what you mean be the term “illusion”.

9 minutes ago, Highest said:

There is only the Now. All memories of past events happens in the Now. In that sense and understanding it's an illusion.

I

9 minutes ago, Highest said:

Now I have a memory that I wrote what I wrote about 12 min ago and the evidence is above. So did it actually happen? That I am not sure about yet. But I know the memory is always occurring in the Now, including what I just wrote. 

17 minutes ago, Highest said:

So did it actually happen?

It "happened" within time and space.  But it has always existed. It is indelible.

8 minutes ago, cetus56 said:

It "happened" within time and space.  But it has always existed. It is indelible.

Can I get to the point where I stop being a little girl ?

That would be lovely.

Thanks !

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

2 minutes ago, Shin said:

Can I get to the point where I stop being a little girl ?

That would be lovely.

Thanks !

A universal constant: Information can never be lost. Yikes!!

@cetus56 Yes. But I don't understand that it has always existed. Do you mean the Now or something completely else? "?