Alexander Goffrier

Lesser known things to eliminate from the diet?

37 posts in this topic

I have already eliminated some of the big ones such as milk, eggs, trans fats (hydrogenated oils, shortening, etc.), snack pastries, overly-sugary foods (though I still have treats), etc. My war against sodium, saturated fat, and sugar is still raging on with sodium being the toughest thing to limit.

My question is... what should I add to the list of things to avoid eating? Anything that you can recommend I will work on removing. This could be things such as harmful ingredients to look for, what kinds of meat to avoid (I already avoid processed meat), anything. Also, anything that I should start adding to my diet?

Thank you!

2 hours ago, Alexander Goffrier said:

My war against sodium, saturated fat, and sugar is still raging on with sodium being the toughest thing to limit.

Do you know your sodium intake? perhaps its not as high as you think. Sodium is only high in processed foods and pre-packed meals. Once you stop eating those, you will never have problem when you eat wholefood ingredients. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

You doing this wrong in the first place, is my opinion and experience. You got caught as i did in the past, caught in the propaganda that saturated fat and animal products are the enemy. 

All this consumerism system is built this way, even studies made on this are full of lies, from respectable scientists. In the end money rules over what is healthy or not. 

Edited by Hellspeed

... 7 rabbits will live forever.                                                                                                                                                                                                  

I would add pasture-raised eggs and healthy saturated fats (coconut oil, animal fat) back in, and subtract WHEAT.

Bread, pasta, cookies et cetera. Personally I don't eat any grains anymore, not even rice or quinoa. But you don't have to take it that far.

@Alexander Goffrier I have a detailed summary of Leo's 'how to shop for healthy food' video, PM me if you're interested.

Edited by flowboy

Learn to resolve trauma. Together.

Testimonials thread: www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82672-experience-collection-childhood-aware-life-purpose-coaching/

3 hours ago, Shiva said:

But always make sure to have some cheat meals ;) 

I don't get why people insist on those. It just feeds into the paradigm that you're depriving yourself. Counterproductive in my opinion.

Create a diet that you love and you won't want a cheat meal.

Testimonials thread: www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82672-experience-collection-childhood-aware-life-purpose-coaching/

All and all, listen to your body. Be mindful how different foods make you feel after eating them. And try to avoid labeling yourself as "someone who doesn't eat x," it's a personal choice for you and you will get pressure from others to change back if they don't have proper education.

I'll admit, I am bias to for what I am recognizing, so don't take this as gospel. Anyone who is dogmatic that you should follow a direct way is full of shit There isn't a one size fits all way to eat, so research and planning are needed for everyone. 

Cutting out animal products is essential for good health, and I commend you on your progress! Saturated fats don't need to be completely eliminated, just watched. 

Here are some sources you may enjoy: 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19562864 

https://www.organicauthority.com/buzz-news/vegan-diet-appropriate-for-all-stages-of-the-life-cycle-says-largest-group-of-nutritionists 

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/the-skinny-on-saturated-fat/

8 hours ago, Michael569 said:

Do you know your sodium intake? perhaps its not as high as you think. Sodium is only high in processed foods and pre-packed meals. Once you stop eating those, you will never have problem when you eat wholefood ingredients. 

I use the app called Cronometer to track the amount. I am trying to keep it below 1500 mg even though I am allowed to eat up to 2000 mg at my age. I eat around 1800 mg a day on average

5 hours ago, Hellspeed said:

You doing this wrong in the first place, is my opinion and experience. You got caught as i did in the past, caught in the propaganda that saturated fat and animal products are the enemy. 

All this consumerism system is built this way, even studies made on this are full of lies, from respectable scientists. In the end money rules over what is healthy or not. 

I still eat saturated fats without too much control, but I am trying to lower my daily intake.

4 hours ago, Shiva said:

Don't try to avoid foods.

See, when I quit smoking, it really helped to make the shift in my mind from "I'm someone who quit smoking" to "I'm a non-smoker". When someone who just quit smoking is offered a cigarette, it takes effort to resist and say "no". But for a non-smoker, it's effortless because he just doesn't smoke.

Perhaps a similar mindset can help you, too. Focus on the things that you do eat rather than the things you don't.

If you have enough healthy recipes, ingredients etc. at hand such questions probably will occur a lot less often.

But always make sure to have some cheat meals ;) 

Thanks for the advice! I will try to implement it into my life and see if I can avoid those tempting treats.

Edited by Alexander Goffrier

5 minutes ago, Hello from Russia said:

Limiting your fructose intake is a good idea too

I think that I have been doing a good job at that too. I have been avoiding high fructose corn syrup, candy, and too much honey.

@Alexander Goffrier This seems promising:

https://integrallife.com/plant-plus-personalized-nutrition-2/?the-video=1

It is a video course talking about functional medicine from a psychologist / cell biologist and researcher from Harvard. You can make yourself a free account for 1$ to watch the episodes than for free. The description below is a good indicator to see if it is worth for you or not.

@Hellspeed Honey, I do see how this is important for you, but this is the last time I am going to ask you to stop. We both know I can whip out my own proofs too. I feel you may be trying to convince yourself more than us. That's what I did when I used to get into heated debates. And avoided looking at that for years because it hurt too much to accept. I am glad you have a passionate fire, but perhaps that could be directed on your life purpose more than telling others how wrong they are all day? (I know, I know, I see the irony) 

Go treat yourself to a relaxing bubblebath or the like, as it feels like this may have broiled your blood. 

And these videos heavily rely on personal bias; something you hate that others do, so why not stop doing it yourself? I know it is frustrating that no one seems to be taking your side, but maybe it would be good to think why- and you can still disagree and tell me I smell on top of it if you want. But will that make you happy? (Though I would have to admire your nasal capacity in that regard.) 

17 hours ago, Nervtine said:

Anyone who is dogmatic that you should follow a direct way is full of shit

@Nervtine After which you go on to make a dogmatic statement:

17 hours ago, Nervtine said:

Cutting out animal products is essential for good health

Which is... your personal opinion I guess? You just like veganism for ideological reasons, I suppose. Good quality meat is healing.

14 hours ago, Nervtine said:

@Hellspeed Honey, I do see how this is important for you, but this is the last time I am going to ask you to stop. We both know I can whip out my own proofs too. I feel you may be trying to convince yourself more than us. That's what I did when I used to get into heated debates. And avoided looking at that for years because it hurt too much to accept. I am glad you have a passionate fire, but perhaps that could be directed on your life purpose more than telling others how wrong they are all day? (I know, I know, I see the irony) 

Go treat yourself to a relaxing bubblebath or the like, as it feels like this may have broiled your blood. 

And these videos heavily rely on personal bias; something you hate that others do, so why not stop doing it yourself? I know it is frustrating that no one seems to be taking your side, but maybe it would be good to think why- and you can still disagree and tell me I smell on top of it if you want. But will that make you happy? (Though I would have to admire your nasal capacity in that regard.) 

Nope, I'm with @Hellspeed . What he shared makes sense.

You, on the other hand, are misbehaving by attacking people for having a different opinion. Shame on you, sir.

Keep it civil guy's. 

Everyone has their own opinion. Respect and accept. There is no 'right' or 'wrong' 

17 hours ago, Alexander Goffrier said:

I use the app called Cronometer to track the amount. I am trying to keep it below 1500 mg even though I am allowed to eat up to 2000 mg at my age. I eat around 1800 mg a day on average

Cronometer is amazing and imo quite accurate especially with things like sodium that does not get lost with cooking and processing. Yeah as long as you keep it bellow 3g you sould be fine but ideally stay within 1-1.5. Below 1g is not too good either. 

Other things you can try doing is: 

• use only saturated oil for cooking (coconut oil / butter) or just use water only
  • don't roast your carbs to avoid creating acrylamides
  • get in at least 40g of fibre, if you can and it doesn't bloat you, go even higher
  • balance your intake of Omega 3 to Omega 6 fatty acids. Try to get close to 4:1 or 3:1. 
  • limit alcohol, smoking, trans fats and hydrogenated oils (even partially hydrogenated)
  • make sure you have sufficient magnesium, b-vitamins and iron for sufficient energy levels
  • sleep 8 hours (this is probs even more important than diet)

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

I eliminated gluten, milk and milk products and I try to stay away from sugar (not always successful at that), processed food, soya, peanuts, corn and whatever I had a positive result on food intolerance test (e.g. banana, pepper, avocado etc.) I eat only fish (as little as possible), no meat (although that for over 20 years). Some say that many legumes are suspicious but I keep eating them.

On 3/14/2019 at 8:30 AM, Shiva said:

Truth is no matter what you do, as long as you avoid SAD (standard American diet), you're gonna see results and feel great if that was your previous diet :D

Well, I guess that I am good there then haha