Sam Barker

Should i be jobless while i work on my life purpose?

22 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

So, i've started the Life Purpose Course. I'm slowly learning what my life purpose is (music/filmmaking/documentary is what i'm deciding on). I have no idea how i'll make money now, but i live with my dad who pays for the bills. Should i quit my job and start working on my chosen Life Purpose once i fully know what it is? Or should i continue working in this job i hate to make money? 8 hours a day dedicated to this pointless job leaves little time for me to work on myself.

Leaving the job will upset my girlfriend and family, because they'll automatically think that i'm just being lazy and have no ambitions. What to do???

Edited by Sam Barker

Why don't you work on the job as your side hustle ? 

Once you start to get some momentum going on what you actually want to do. 

You should definitely quit the job.

But until then I suggest you work on the job. 

- Pras.

@Pras It's 5 days a week 8-5. It's pretty difficult to fit much more in the day after being exhausted from work. I was thinking of looking for a part time job or zero hour contract instead, because honestly i'm in a lucky position right now - I don't have to pay bills, and I should take that advantage to work on myself which I haven't been doing much of for the last 5 years, because I've been lazy and stupid. But now I feel i'm ready to transition into the beginning of my Hero's journey.

@Sam Barker It depends on your relationship with your father.
Is he trying to influence your life purpose? Do you mind him influencing it? Do you see it as a potential area of conflict?
The fact that he pays your bills can be leveraged in a disagreement.

@tsuki No, he's not trying to influence my Life Purpose. He always says I have loads of good ideas, but my problem is that I don't put them into action, which is true. But, since I'm living in this house for free he does expect me to be an adult and not rely on him for money and food, which is more than fair. If i wasn't working he'd only expect what has happened in the past, which is that I'll just leave a job and not work for a while and be a lazy bum, get another shit job, leave it, and the cycle continues.

I know I am talented, but i also know I'm not reaching anywhere near my full potential - I've wasted my time. But i'm ready now. I know I can better my life.

This sounds familiar to me.

And I guess you need to find the answer that works for you on your own.

if you decide to quit your job, just make sure to have a plan, goals and a timeline set in stone by when you want to do/have/be X. That might also make it easier when you talk to your father and your Girl about it.
If you just quit and tell them "I want to be a filmmaker" they may not take you seriously (especially, since you've got a "history" of being a lazy bum). But if you tell or show them an actual plan with a timeline it'll be much easier.

Of course, you'd have to stick to that plan.

But then again, you could also find a part-time job that's somewhat related to your purpose. Work at a record store (do they actually still exist?), try to find a local videography/film business and help out there, etc.

Or you just go door to door to local businesses and offer your filmmaking services to them by offering them to shoot some promotional videos they can use for their website. If you did 2-3 gigs like that you can start to charge some money and move up from there.

That part-time job or trying to do it on your own isn't about the money. It's more about proving how serious you are about your new purpose. And if you feel you're not just ready yet, then give yourself 3 months or so to learn the basics. That's plenty to get started.

Good luck!

Posted (edited)

@AlexJ I've got the basic equipment for shooting videos and for making music, and i have some money to last me a few months, if not more depending on if i don't waste it on going out with friends and drinking, etc. I can make a plan and tell them. I'm serious about this now. 

You've given some helpful advice. Thanks!

Edited by Sam Barker

Depends on your situation.

• Do you have savings?
  • Your risk tolerance
  • Can you easily get another job in case you run out of money?
  • Do you have the possibility to maybe work part time or take a sabbatical?

Things like that. I don't think there's a general answer.

Breaking the laws of physical nature is spiritual process.
In this sense, we are outlaws, and Shiva is the ultimate outlaw.
You cannot worship Shiva, but you may join the Gang.

@Shiva Yes I have savings. I can get a job easily when i run out of money. I don't know about my risk tolerance.

18 hours ago, Sam Barker said:

So, i've started the Life Purpose Course. I'm slowly learning what my life purpose is (music/filmmaking/documentary is what i'm deciding on). I have no idea how i'll make money now, but i live with my dad who pays for the bills. Should i quit my job and start working on my chosen Life Purpose once i fully know what it is? Or should i continue working in this job i hate to make money? 8 hours a day dedicated to this pointless job leaves little time for me to work on myself.

Leaving the job will upset my girlfriend and family, because they'll automatically think that i'm just being lazy and have no ambitions. What to do???

It depends. If you have a very very clear idea and plan for executing and working towards your vision then maybe consider it. But if not, then stay with your job (unless it's really that bad then get a different job). You don't want to be making any drastic changes to your current situation, even if you feel super confident with your purpose. Implementing your purpose takes time and it'll change and develop. The purpose you create now may not be the purpose you want 6 months down the line. I would advise making it a more gradual transition. For now, stay with a reliable job, but work on your purpose in your spare time. Set yourself small bets, or projects that will give you a taste of the actual realities of your chosen purpose. It's important to bring your purpose down to actual reality, and really think about what you will need to be doing on a day to day basis in order to realise it. It's here that you can start to take action. Part of discovering your purpose is about testing it, and experimenting with actual action, rather than just thinking about yourself in some ideal future situation (thats important, but it needs to be grounded).

5 hours ago, Space said:

. For now, stay with a reliable job, but work on your purpose in your spare time. 

I've tried. is impossible. Working every day 9-5 the maximum you can is going to the gym, take language lessons, learning to play a instrument...

I recommend to the OP to stay in the hateful job (Im in the same situation) and wait till vacation. Then take a full week thinking about life purpose or career project (Leo's life purpose course recommended). At the end of the vacations make the decission.

I went jobless for a while while studying my craft aka life purpose (massage therapy). It was 7 month and I saved 15k to survive those months. Btw I use to make good money in my other career (computer programing). But I'm going to tell you something, it is harder than you think. If you think it's going to be harder multiply that for 3. I finished massage school one month ago and got the licence last week. Now it's 8 months and I only have like 2k left but I already have some prospects waiting for me. I'm gonna start my career as a LMT next week. Btw I'm not going to make the same amount of money as my last career for at least two years until I start my own business. Prepare to get serious about keeping your WORD. BUILD A BIG VISION! When I told my wife I was going to abandon my carrer to study massage she threatened me to leave me but because I know know she truly love me and it was a reaction of the ego to maintain things as they are, after two months of explaining my vision she accepted my calling (btw she did not have any choice I make my mind by that point). I would suggest to start planting the aidea as a joke and start talking with your girlfriend and dad. It's harder than you think. 

Btw 3 side notes, 1) before leaving my career I meditated about it for almost two years. I sometimes went to meditation retreats to contemplate and to reflect on my life. I suffer a lot while waiting and working in stuff I don't care. 2) The amount of happiness, gratification I'm getting now after starting my life purpose doesn't have explanation. It doesn't mean you are going to enjoy everything and every day but on perspective I feel alive now. 3) Buy the Life Purpose Course, I happen to find my life purpose before buying the course but after finding it and now doing the LP course it is amazing how much you can get from it even when you find it. 

@nahtanoj I've been doing the LP Purpose for the past few days and studying it hard and taking A LOT of notes and reading over them agin and again. I left my job, and told my girlfriend. I know some people here advised against it, but it's what felt right. If i'm going to take this seriously then i'm fully going in. Working at a shit 9-5 job is too much of an obstacle and distraction for me at this time in my life. I'm ready!

I haven't told my dad yet. I'm spending all day everyday doing this course and figuring out once and for all what my grand vision is, what i'm aiming for every day when i wake up early. I will probably get a zero hour contract job soon just to make a bit of money here and there, but i have enough savings to last me a while. 

I obviously don’t know your exact situation but I can share what works for me and it might be helpful for you.

Currently I’m full-time as well in a job I don’t like, working 8:30-5 Mon-Fri. I’m not working on a business that is related to my life purpose but its a business that will help me reach my financial goals. And of course I’m looking into some investments as well. All of this requires capital, so that’s what the job is for, plus my living expenses. Maybe you require money to be invested in equipment, so figure all that stuff out before anything else.

Another thing I want to mention, if I ever left my job, having so much free time makes me unsure of what to do with it all. I’ve been in the same situation before several times. I quit my job because my ego was out the roof about being an “entrepreneur” and I ended up not doing much and played video games all day. So currently I use my 9-5 as motivation. It’s a constant reminder of not wanting to be in a 9-5 for the rest of my life. The place I work at literally has people in their 40s, 50s, and 60s. I’m 23 and hell no do I want to be like them. Plus having less free time means I use the free time that I have more wisely. I value the free time that I have because 40 hours of my week is taken up at my job. And the free time that I have now is honestly enough to work on my side hustles. It honestly doesn’t require 24 hours everyday of free time to work on your side hustles. I usually put in a good 1-2 hours on weekdays then 5+ hours a day on weekends.

"Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death." - Albert Einstein

Posted (edited)

@7thLetter I'm 23 too! I thought the same in all of my jobs when i saw people in their 60's doing this shit job. I feel so bad for them and like you it motivates me to not fall down that path. I did quit my job in the end, because i found it difficult to find time after work - i have a girlfriend, so it was hard to manage time to get my head around this course first of all, and secondly i had no idea what i was aiming for.

I have started the course and have spent all day everyday studying it and really putting in the mental effort. I will get another job soon enough to finance me, but right now i'm spending all my time focusing on finding my Grand Vision that i'm aiming for.

Edited by Sam Barker

@Sam Barker this is where everybody starts. In their parents' house. It is a part of getting out of the maze of life leo talked about. The question is? What is your current job?

@Sam Barker Good job mate. Don't get discouraged when you're slacking off for some days. Sometimes the work on a big vision needs some contemplation. When your savings are gone go part-time ideally something LP related. Best of luck :)

Sounds like your problem is mostly with your family and girlfriend thinking you are lazy.

Feel what lies behind this. Many people have a need for security, validation or control.

It will be beneficial for you to let go of any need that stands in between you and your purpose.