Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
still_no_satori

Vipassana Retreat - If you had to offer 1 piece of advice, what would it be?

36 posts in this topic

What would your number one piece of advice be to a relative newbie going on a 10 day Vipassana retreat in 3 months time?

(I have scoured the search function in the forum and have gained some good advice from it but didn't see anyone ask this specific question)

Some context...

- I have watched most of Leo's videos on meditation/enlightenment/nature of reality topics. Also all of Leo's retreat blog videos.

- I have read and re-read Eckhart Tolle's books over the last couple of years.

- I have been practising beginners Kriya Yoga every day for 5 weeks (routine currently around 25 min)

- I have been practising mindfulness/body scanning type meditation twice per day for 5 weeks (10min sessions lying in bed before and after sleep)

- I have never read a Vipassana trip report before (I dont want to 'spoiler' myself!) but I am aware that it involves some bodyscanning style techniques.

- I know the daily schedule of the retreat and so am expecting the experience to be very taxing and the most difficult thing I have ever done (in other words I am aware this isn't some fun relaxing spa weekend!)

Any advice greatly appreciated, thank you!

From,

A long term lurker, first time poster

Edited by still_no_satori
formatting issues

Read the instructions on their website very carefully, and during the retreat follow their instructions to heart, with a “beginner’s mind”. Forget everything you know about meditation.

If you’re struggling with something, talk to the teacher. Do not try to figure things out by yourself.

You are allowed to ask questions once after the daily talk, and you can also talk in private with the teacher for 2 minutes. 

17 minutes ago, still_no_satori said:

I know the daily schedule of the retreat and so am expecting the experience to be very taxing and the most difficult thing I have ever done (in other words I am aware this isn't some fun relaxing spa weekend!)

Yes, it’s not easy. But don’t preoccupy yourself with that. After the initial few days, you’ll probably start to enjoy the practice.

Questions:

1- How’s your emotional life going?

2- Do you have any psychiatric condition?

Edited by Gabriel Antonio

Meditate! 

But when the retreat starts it's just one thing to remember: Don't give up no matter what. 

That's all :)

@cirkussmile thanks yes that is certainly something I will commit too. There is no way I am travelling across the country only to return after a couple days with my tail between my legs!

@Gabriel Antonio thank you for your reply. I will be sure to ask a question if I have a problem. If it is particular to me I will do it in private with a teacher. If I am sure my query may help others to hear the answer then I will ask it in the hall question time. 

On 3/11/2019 at 3:03 AM, Gabriel Antonio said:

Questions:

1- How’s your emotional life going?

2- Do you have any psychiatric condition?

1. It is going as normal for me. 

Do you ask to alert me as to what issues may crop up in my mind while I am there?

2. No issues there.

15 minutes ago, still_no_satori said:

1. It is going as normal for me. 

Do you ask to alert me as to what issues may crop up in my mind while I am there?

2. No issues there.

Good! 

There cases of people who are emotionally unstable and/or have psychiatric conditions who freaked out during a Vipassana retreat. It doesn't look like that will be your case. Sure, your mind will go crazy at times, but it will hopefully be at a manageable level. 

Another thing is physical discomfort. I myself am pretty unflexible and my core muscles are quite weak. So sitting for 10-12 hours daily produces so much discomfort that meditation becomes an enduring pain challenge... 

I just read the following article: https://www.ndoherty.com/vipassana/. Even though he does sound a little whiny, it's pretty interesting. At the end of the article, you can find a few articles that might interest you. 

From what you've told me, I would say that yes, the retreat will probably be beneficial to you. Naturally, the mind will come up with many excuses, but question them to see if they are really valid. 

Also, be careful not to get a little neurotic on reading too much about other people's experiences. 

25 minutes ago, Gabriel Antonio said:

I just read the following article: https://www.ndoherty.com/vipassana/. Even though he does sound a little whiny, it's pretty interesting. At the end of the article, you can find a few articles that might interest you. 

Also, be careful not to get a little neurotic on reading too much about other people's experiences. 

I have avoided reading ANY trip report whatsoever. I want to go in without knowing all the real specificity of the retreat. Unless someone in this thread can give me a good reason otherwise I will stick to this. 

I did super scan over the articles you linked me though and the 2nd link has a 'Recommendations for first timers' paragraph which points out a couple nice things so thank you for that. 

16 minutes ago, still_no_satori said:

I have avoided reading ANY trip report whatsoever. I want to go in without knowing all the real specificity of the retreat. Unless someone in this thread can give me a good reason otherwise I will stick to this. 

Good!

As Gabriel said ask a lot of questions to the teacher (you have to put your name for interview time before lunch everyday)

And eat lightly, empty stomach will be better for meditation

Also in my experience, it's easier and better to meditate in the hall than in your own room (at some times you will have choice to stay meditate in the hall or go meditate in your room)

And i would also not lying in your bed in the breaks, it can easily make you even more tired and wanting to sleep, so better to rest comfortably seated in your bed or by being outside

When you have the choice to either meditate in the hall or your room, meditate in the hall

Thank you for the thread, I am going to my first retreat in 2 weeks. Somebody in the different thread suggested to watch "What is Actuality?" video before the retreat. 

I received the email from the retreat:

> Please do not forget to bring cushions for mediation, house shoes and bedding with you.

I usually meditate on my sleep pillow and/or chair, so I am going to take my pillow with me. :) 
Should I buy a specific cushion for meditation and bring with me?

What a dream, what a joke, love it   :x

3 hours ago, Jordan94 said:

Also in my experience, it's easier and better to meditate in the hall than in your own room (at some times you will have choice to stay meditate in the hall or go meditate in your room

1 hour ago, herghly said:

When you have the choice to either meditate in the hall or your room, meditate in the hall

Interesting that two of you have said this. Do you recommend because you feel you are more likely to be strict with the practise or another reason?

46 minutes ago, dimitri said:

Thank you for the thread, I am going to my first retreat in 2 weeks. Somebody in the different thread suggested to watch "What is Actuality?" video before the retreat. 

No problem! Good luck with the retreat, what is your main emotion you are feeling about it as it nears? And thanks, I will watch that video.

48 minutes ago, dimitri said:

I usually meditate on my sleep pillow and/or chair, so I am going to take my pillow with me. :) 

Certainly easier than bringing the chair xD

1 hour ago, still_no_satori said:

No problem! Good luck with the retreat, what is your main emotion you are feeling about it as it nears? And thanks, I will watch that video.

Certainly easier than bringing the chair xD

I am excited to try something new. I had a fear before, but after 2-days solo micro-retreat the fear is gone.

Yeah, to bring chair would be a tough task. But I am wondering whether they usually have some additional goodies for meditation so I can comfortably meditate. :D

•  Have no expectations 

•  STAY TILL THE END !

1 hour ago, still_no_satori said:

@Kensho How does one go about having no expectations? 

Let's say "don't have high expectations".  A person who has been into material like what Leo is teaching and listening to Leo suggesting the Vipassana retreat, may expect to have deep experiences during it, like a samadhi or satori or some sort of mystical experience (your nickname... :-) ). They may happen of course, but this is not what you go there for. Even the vipassana technique is not something that can be achieved from the first retreat. If it's not sticking don't get frustrated. Keep trying.

The retreat gives you the chance to focus  on meditation and mindfulness  for ten days. No distractions, nothing of the everyday life to worry about. During the retreat, you ll go on a thought roller-coaster ride.  24/7 only with your thoughts. You get the best chance possible to observe them. It's a lot, lot of thinking,  processing and self-inquiring. 

I 've done the 10-day retreat twice. The most difficult part for me was to cease the continuous thoughts to leave the place, that is why I told you "stay till the end".

Take pillows and blankets. Have a pair of ear-plugs too.

It's a good experience.I wish you the best.

P.S. You know what the best thing in Vipassana is? No talking for 10 days!

30 minutes ago, Kensho said:

Let's say "don't have high expectations".  A person who has been into material like what Leo is teaching and listening to Leo suggesting the Vipassana retreat, may expect to have deep experiences during it, like a samadhi or satori or some sort of mystical experience (your nickname... :-) ). They may happen of course, but this is not what you go there for. Even the vipassana technique is not something that can be achieved from the first retreat. If it's not sticking don't get frustrated. Keep trying.

The retreat gives you the chance to focus  on meditation and mindfulness  for ten days. No distractions, nothing of the everyday life to worry about. During the retreat, you ll go on a thought roller-coaster ride.  24/7 only with your thoughts. You get the best chance possible to observe them. It's a lot, lot of thinking,  processing and self-inquiring. 

I 've done the 10-day retreat twice. The most difficult part for me was to cease the continuous thoughts to leave the place, that is why I told you "stay till the end".

Take pillows and blankets. Have a pair of ear-plugs too.

It's a good experience.I wish you the best.

P.S. You know what the best thing in Vipassana is? No talking for 10 days!

Thank you, this is useful to me. About 'no talking'.. there is talk with  teacher in case of questions, right? So, strictly speaking, there is low chance to be silent for 10 days.

Edited by dimitri

I didn't talk to my teacher until the third day. As mentioned already you put your name on a list and you see the teacher in the order of the list. Go every day if you like or not at all up to you. I told him that my thoughts are very negative and they don't stop for even 5 seconds. He smiled and said that's OK some people have down 3/4 10 day courses and have the same issues, he said the best advice he could give was to ACCEPT it. 

This was and still is the best advice anyone has given me in for meditation, non-duality, everyday life or any situation. Suffering happens because of resistance to what is, accepting reality as it is whether 'good' or 'bad' will bring peace.

Having said that there will be a LOT of resistance and that's great, it's an opportunity to learn and grow. I also resonate with all other advice's in this thread, I promised myself before going that I will stay til the end and did and hope you stick it out too. 

Best of Luck

Don't check your phone or read a book. Follows the rules. If you get bored go for a walk and stay silent. Basically follow the rules and stay till the end.