TRzed

What does the mind want?

62 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, zambize said:

I'm currently freezing my balls off in Wisconsin, so I'm very jealous of you, especially since I've been wanting to try peyote 

The nature around Sedona is a wonderful setting for that. I tripped with my gf there and it was powerful. It was her first time and a moderate dose took us on a deep journey with our spirit guides. 

Another Sadhguru vid, but with more experiential insight. :)
No need to try and memorize or understand intellectually.
Attentive listening is all that's needed.

Edited by isness is my bizness

You know what's great about this question is everything is open to view.  You can see what the Mind wants by paying attention to the Mind.  The more you observe your own Mind, the more you will learn about it.  This is one reason why mindfulness practice is so important to get wired into your everyday habits.  

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Survival reproduction and evolution/growth.  That is the whole point of this whole shenanigan ?

to live

... 7 rabbits will live forever.                                                                                                                                                                                                  

Roughly but not entirely, the Mind is an agent of the Ego.  This means that the Mind is looking out for the interests of the Ego.  An agent is like a servant, an employee, a hired-hand.  This is why transcendence of the Ego-Mind, or the Ego and the Mind, go together like ham and eggs.  You must transcend the Mind as well as the Ego or it doesn't work.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

What does the mind want? 

Maybe the apparent existence of objects being distinct/separate from the apparent existence of/as a subject. 

Wants to believe in a world made of matter that stands independent from itself. 

Edited by Jack River

4 hours ago, Joseph Maynor said:

Roughly but not entirely, the Mind is an agent of the Ego.  This means that the Mind is looking out for the interests of the Ego.  An agent is like a servant, an employee, a hired-hand.  This is why transcendence of the Ego-Mind, or the Ego and the Mind, go together like ham and eggs.  You must transcend the Mind as well as the Ego or it doesn't work.

How does one be without a mind, is it even possible? Does the mind create the ego? 

Are you saying a mind must transcend itself? 

7 minutes ago, DrewNows said:

How does one be without a mind, is it even possible? Does the mind create the ego? 

Are you saying a mind must transcend itself? 

No.  Transcendence just means that you clearly see the Mind and Ego for what they are.  Once you see them for what they are, they can trap you less.  If you had to cross a minefield and you knew where most of the mines were, you would end up less maimed on the other side. 

Edited by Joseph Maynor

20 minutes ago, Joseph Maynor said:

No.  Transcendence just means that you clearly see the Mind and Ego for what they are.  Once you see them for what they are, they can trap you less.  If you had to cross a minefield and you knew where most of the mines were, you would end up less maimed on the other side. 

Aiight so that’s the difference between someone who has transcended the mind and one who hasn’t. Less suffering or injuries from their “mind field” ?

Gotcha 

4 minutes ago, DrewNows said:

Aiight so that’s the difference between someone who has transcended the mind and one who hasn’t. Less suffering or injuries from their “mind field” ?

Gotcha 

Well we all know what it's like to be trapped in the Ego-Mind.  So, imagine watching the Ego-Mind from a corner in the room instead of being trapped within it.  It's like being able to see a mechanism for what it is that you were formerly not conscious of.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

12 minutes ago, Joseph Maynor said:

Well we all know what it's like to be trapped in the Ego-Mind.  So, imagine watching the Ego-Mind from a corner in the room instead of being trapped within it.  It's like being able to see a mechanism for what it is that you were formerly not conscious of.

Yes I hear this man. I’ve been able to recognize nearly every action of my ego 

in this recognition or seeing is there an ability to change? If so where does it arise? Musnt it arise in the now 

9 minutes ago, DrewNows said:

Yes I hear this man. I’ve been able to recognize nearly every action of my ego 

in this recognition or seeing is there an ability to change? If so where does it arise? Musnt it arise in the now 

I see Enlightenment as a three prong exercise:

1. Discovering being and realizing that thoughts lay on top of being; (being is in the now)
  2. Understanding and seeing your own Ego-Mind clearly;  (this includes Ego and Mind separately and how they work together)
  3. Transcending your own Ego-Mind; (imagine watching the Ego-Mind from a corner in the room instead of being trapped within it)
Edited by Joseph Maynor

32 minutes ago, Joseph Maynor said:

I see Enlightenment as a three prong exercise:

1. Discovering being and realizing that thoughts lay on top of being; (being is in the now)
  2. Understanding and seeing your own Ego-Mind clearly;  (this includes Ego and Mind separately and how they work together)
  3. Transcending your own Ego-Mind; (imagine watching the Ego-Mind from a corner in the room instead of being trapped within it)

Yes to see its illusory nature. Not to take anyone’s word but simply to understand the intention of thoughts and the egos  separation between itself and reality 

Edited by DrewNows

3 hours ago, DrewNows said:

Yes to see its illusory nature. Not to take anyone’s word but simply to understand the intention of thoughts and the egos  separation between itself and reality 

I'm careful with that metaphysical word "illusion", I don't really use it in my practice.  

Edited by Joseph Maynor

On 10.03.2019 at 11:26 AM, Alpu said:

The canvas of your perception
Torn by sharpening knife
The mirror of self-deception
That reflects outer life
The scene of dreams and memories
Where thoughts are living art
The freest when you find the peace
With connection to heart
The play that you can’t escape from
Your enemy or friend?
The knowing how to act in it
Can plot the happy end
The theater of empty seats
Where drama has no break
It’s happening behind the scenes
With one actor at stake

*Applauds with one hand*

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

33 minutes ago, tsuki said:

*Applauds with one hand*

I get this now.  Love it.  What is the meaning of life?  let's have a cup of tea.  What is the nature of the Self?  Grab this wooden staff.  How do I become Enlightened?  Clean this porch spick and span.  What is the nature of reality?  Make me a sandwich.  Zen.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

@Joseph Maynor You know, jokes that need explaining are not worth saying.

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

22 minutes ago, tsuki said:

@Joseph Maynor You know, jokes that need explaining are not worth saying.

What is meaning of life?  Throws water at face.  Now go wipe it off. 

I totally understand these kinds of koans now.  Well, "understand" is the wrong word too.  That's important to note.  

Edited by Joseph Maynor