OmniYoga

Speed reading

8 posts in this topic

does it really works?
what speed is possible with full understanding, not skipping
why almost anybody can do it? I mean if its so brilliant skill why most people never learn it

It definitely works. There are many books out there teaching you how to read faster.

It actually depends on what you're reading and your purpose for reading it. If you're

familiar with the subject and it isn't a step-by-step to-do book, you could reach 1000+

words per minute, considerably more than the average reader.

Why most people never learn to meditate? They haven't heard about it or aren't

consistent with learning the theory and doing the practice.

Do you guys think that speed reading would be appropriate for any kind of expand-your-mind kind of reading?

I usually SLOW-read books. Meaning i take notes, paraphrase the shit out of important paragraphs, take a day or two to digest and re-think each chapter etc. It's not about the quantity but quality for me.

Well, I had a very good friend in high-school, 1970's, that took a speed reading course.  It worked, but only for 15-20 minutes at a time, then he burned out.  Now, if this is still poplar and for real, FAR OUT.  But going back home (Life, the Creator) I need to relax and ENJOY my books !!!!

Acadia

Edited by Acadia

On 23.03.2019 at 11:50 AM, Krzysztof said:

Do you guys think that speed reading would be appropriate for any kind of expand-your-mind kind of reading?

I usually SLOW-read books. Meaning i take notes, paraphrase the shit out of important paragraphs, take a day or two to digest and re-think each chapter etc. It's not about the quantity but quality for me.

I read over 200 books, and my clusion would be if you really want to learn something from that book - you need to reread this book couple times - otherwise you will forget what was there easily ..., so yeah there is no shorcuts I guess,

and it's something that people at the top actually recommend - at least they said that in RSD

@Krzysztof

are you from Poland?

Edited by OmniYoga

I also read slowly and underline, some quotes makes my ask question myself and ponder. I read 2 books a month. Even after all that i forget stuff. And have to re read. 

I will be waiting here, For your silence to break, For your soul to shake,              For your love to wake! Rumi

Every sentence usually has a subject and a verb or an idea. So you just read the subject and idea and move on. 

You cannot remember every single word in the book so why bothered with them so much? Just make sure you know the main gist of the sentence and move on. That's how you speedread.

Usually you just need to read the first, middle and last word in every sentence.

It works, but heard it does have its flaws of not having as good memory of what was written as you would reading it normally and I see how it could be very bad for educational books, or learning some stuff that requires time to process idea behind text.