improvementedward

Having More Fun in Life

12 posts in this topic

I've been into self-actualization for a few years now, and thought I might share some perspective that often seems to be pushed to the wayside. Specifically, I want to start a dialogue on the importance of having fun while actively seeking self-actualization.

I used to think that having fun meant that I wasn't doing things right. In my mind, if I was having fun then I was "getting soft" and I "wasn't pushing myself hard enough." I felt that having fun and enjoying life were almost irresponsible. Flash forward a few years, and I'm absolutely miserable. I went through perhaps the worst depression of my life in 2018, and ended up losing a job along with a relatively serious long term relationship.

At my worst around the New Year, I took some psychedelic mushrooms and I had a little bit of a breakthrough. I realized that I'm the one that controls my happiness. I can choose to be a grouch, or I can choose to make the most of every moment and have as much fun as I can every day!

Since then, I've made a conscious effort to have as much fun as possible. I try to intentionally schedule activities that I know I enjoy, and I do my best to surround myself with fun people that lift me up. More importantly, I bring an attitude of playfulness to all that I do. I still workout, I still meditate, and I still get my work done. But I do my best to have fun while I'm doing it.

The reason I'm bringing this up is because I think this is a common trap for people to fall into. It's easy to become too focused on things like eating perfectly healthy, exercising every day, taking cold showers, and meditating for hours while forgetting to just enjoy the simple things in life. But all the self-improvement in the world isn't worth it if you're a miserable stressed out grouch.

So this is really just a friendly reminder to enjoy the journey. It's not about how many minutes you meditated today, or the number of carbs you eat. It's about actually improving your life and feeling good. How do you make life enjoyable for yourself? What tips and tricks do you use to have more fun?

A mentor said to me how life is after enlightement:

"The only attitude possible to have is one of playfulness. You just watch the world spin, you watch humans dance around in all their misery, and mixed with compassion you just feel non-serious about everything."

He was a student of Osho.

Osho has said that seriousness is a disease on the planet. Be non serious and playful without losing your sincerity.

Im not enlightened, but indeed I look at people around me and just see all the drama they cause in their life via their mind. They confuse how situations are with their thoughts, and the drama just never stops. These people even when they laugh, they laugh with restriction. They laugh from courtesy and manners, not a deep genuine laugh where they lose themselves.

I believe Saghuru and Osho have also said that a pre-requesit to falling in love is a necessary embodiment to be a fool. You must be willing to be a fool in life.....

And Osho has quoted that the most intelligent masters are often judged as being fools.

Conscious fools are secure in their intelligence.

Intellectuals are insecure with their intelligence: they must show you how smart they are.

Lol you're just trying to justify your lazy ass :D

People are different. Everyone has their own path. Some take harsh, dedicated, unwavering path.. some are fluzzy and random. It depends on a person. 

Doing too much consciousness work should be the least of your concern...

Edited by Salvijus

I get lost in personal development too, and have sometimes rejected my friends when I should have gone and hung out with them. And it's come back to bite me! I've had to let go of some of the friends that wanted to have fun ALL the time.

I've recently quit partying and late nights and I feel incredible, and I think everyone can gain from quitting drugs and alcohol.

Well done for not losing touch with your fun side!

Good stuff!

I really need to remind myself to have some fun during the self-actualization path. Sometimes I'm way too serious about the practises I do.

7 hours ago, improvementedward said:

I've been into self-actualization for a few years now, and thought I might share some perspective that often seems to be pushed to the wayside. Specifically, I want to start a dialogue on the importance of having fun while actively seeking self-actualization.

I used to think that having fun meant that I wasn't doing things right. In my mind, if I was having fun then I was "getting soft" and I "wasn't pushing myself hard enough." I felt that having fun and enjoying life were almost irresponsible. Flash forward a few years, and I'm absolutely miserable. I went through perhaps the worst depression of my life in 2018, and ended up losing a job along with a relatively serious long term relationship.

At my worst around the New Year, I took some psychedelic mushrooms and I had a little bit of a breakthrough. I realized that I'm the one that controls my happiness. I can choose to be a grouch, or I can choose to make the most of every moment and have as much fun as I can every day!

Since then, I've made a conscious effort to have as much fun as possible. I try to intentionally schedule activities that I know I enjoy, and I do my best to surround myself with fun people that lift me up. More importantly, I bring an attitude of playfulness to all that I do. I still workout, I still meditate, and I still get my work done. But I do my best to have fun while I'm doing it.

The reason I'm bringing this up is because I think this is a common trap for people to fall into. It's easy to become too focused on things like eating perfectly healthy, exercising every day, taking cold showers, and meditating for hours while forgetting to just enjoy the simple things in life. But all the self-improvement in the world isn't worth it if you're a miserable stressed out grouch.

So this is really just a friendly reminder to enjoy the journey. It's not about how many minutes you meditated today, or the number of carbs you eat. It's about actually improving your life and feeling good. How do you make life enjoyable for yourself? What tips and tricks do you use to have more fun?

Congrats man.  Have fun!

@JohnnyBravo I really like the idea that seriousness is a disease on the planet. For me, it's more about perspective than anything too. It's not about staying out all night partying, but about the attitude you bring with you in your day to day life. It's just about enjoying the journey!

Yes! 

Osho explained one time a famous Zen practitioner whom strived endlessly for enlightenment. He eventually attained it. As advise, he observed people around him and he said that "If you really want enlightement then you must take this path seriously."

Osho responded that THAT was where him and this monk differed.

Enlightenment can be nothing BUT entertainment. The trees laugh. The cuckoos laugh. Everything is all laughing together.

On 3/7/2019 at 7:29 AM, improvementedward said:

I have found that there are usually two types of people: People that elevate you or people who don't. It is important to not pursue relationships that no longer align with your higher self. If you are going out of your way to hang out with people who don't serve you, it will hinder your growth. Of course if you have no choice to be around certain people (work, living situation, etc.) then work with it, however it is important to make a distinction as to who is in your social network and ask the question are we actually symbiotically connected and are we benefiting each other where we equal something greater then the sum of its parts?

Also, at a certain point there becomes no difference between having fun and doing the "hard things." In other words, there is no dichotomy between personal development work and fulfillment/happiness. In other words the very process of growth is the mechanism which fuels your gas tank up. 

The way I see it is, focusing on these things gives me the enjoyment, passion, and drive to continue the process. The whole point of self-improvement is to not be a miserable stressed out grouch. Meditation, exercising, eating healthy gives you the capacity to be more compassionate, more fulfilled, more understanding of yourself and others. Of course, if you are doing these activities while not be grounded in the present moment, then of course you will be stressed. 

For me it is about the constant improvement-I actually enjoy the process. 

People have to be careful with this because this can be a trap in of itself not to do the work necessary to change your life or to give yourself an excuse as to why you may or may not be doing something. Be careful with the question am I having fun? This can be tricky, for me personally the work fills me up so much to the point where I can give so much back to others. 

"a certain point there becomes no difference between having fun and doing the "hard things." In other words, there is no dichotomy between personal development work and fulfillment/happiness."

Ive noticed this also. Work and play no longer have a boundary; the boundary is vanished because a boundary is no longer desired. Everything becomes fulfilling.

Because life is a constant unfolding (process), the words "work" and "play" no longer feel appropriate. Everything just gets experienced as a sure continuing of process. Life doesnt get sectioned off or compartmentalized any more.