hyruga

How to get rid of fear?

17 posts in this topic

I am fearful of people sometimes. I do not dare to make sales calls or to talk to people in public. Or to go up on the stage and dance.

What are some ways to get rid of fears?  

By not shaming yourself or talking down to yourself because you have those fears.

By having the courage to live the rest of the life with those fears, but consciously and with curiosity and understanding.

Im not a fan facing fears  like this head on, but works for some. Exposure therapy can help, but sometimes fears are core issues to do with self and your relationship with life and the world or other people.

Thus, explore the core issues and awareness will naturally uncover the nastiness of the fear over months and years.

Guy i knew had fear of ocean. Which is fear of the unknown. He explored himself psychologically and now can swim in the ocean without panic and worry.

Only way to get rid of fear is to go in it and come out the other side.

You can't avoid it, not if you don't want to build more tension in your subconscious.

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

You cannot get rid of it. You are not separate from it, it is you. Submerge yourself brother and realise it's love.

Look at the mental pictures that are causing the fear. And accept those possibilities. Are tigers going to eat me? I'm fine with that. Let them eat me. I hope they like my taste.

Black is white. Down is up. Bad is good. -Eric Tarpall

Fear comes because you're too concerned about your self image.

You may not like the answer but the answer is self abandonment.

Only when you don't think anything of yourself then only other people's opinions will not mean anything to you. That's the only way. 

When you have no opinion about yourself you have nothing to defend. When you're full of ideas about yourself, then you want to maintain a self-image reputation, status, etc.. every action that you take, every word that you say you're concerned about how it makes you look , this is where all the anxiety comes from... Unless you abandon your self-image you'll be tortured by it endlessly.

"Passion for others, disspassion for yourself, the highest quality" #sadhguru

P.S. Self love is bull( I'm saying this before someone else comes here with this advise for you)

Edited by Salvijus

8 hours ago, hyruga said:

I am fearful of people sometimes. I do not dare to make sales calls or to talk to people in public. Or to go up on the stage and dance.

Sensing the physical sensations in the feet can help. The kind of fear you mention happens when we're completely stuck in our head with all the thoughts racing. Focusing on sensations in the body can help one to get grounded through the physicality of the body. Breathing deeply into the belly is also good.

"To have a free mind is to be a universal heretic." - A.H. Almaas

"We have to bless the living crap out of everyone." - Matt Kahn

Thanks Guys! These are some wonderful answers. I will definitely keep these in mind.

Some fears lessen with exposure but expecting fear to completely disappear is a misconception. That's why courage is such an admirable trait. Take action in spite of the fear. <--- That's where it's at.

Agreed on what other people have said on facing fears, and taking action in spite of them. You are never going to get away from your fear completely. But the best way to make progress in that is to face them.

It starts by facing the feeling of fear itself. If you're afraid of something, don't try to fight it. Just sit with the feelings in your body and show them compassion. Learn to embrace the discomfort of fear, and it won't have the same power over you.

The second part of this is taking action on the things that you are afraid of anyway. Gradually exposing yourself to things like sales calls or talking to people in public can help you to make progress against your fears. You can start extremely small, but the key is to just keep chipping away at them.

Fear is a very difficult emotion. I wish you the best of luck as you grapple with it.

Fear is a natural emotional response and I would suggest to initially affirm to yourself that you aren't afraid of fear and being afraid. When the mind/body is experiencing some form of fear look at it through the mind's eye of your awareness to create some distinction between that fear being felt and your awareness of that fear which you aren't afraid of that fear.

Even if you don't know why you are feeling that fear, where it came from, or aren't going to 'face it', examine it or anything some may suggest to try to deal with it just by us not being afraid of the fear will mitigate it's overall effect in us. By not actively 'agreeing with' or 'endorsing' or 'believing' that fear in our intention we are not empowering it reflexively.

Then from that place in our awareness with our intention we can deal with the thing that is being feared without being gripped by the fear. Over time the mind will become conditioned to not immediately and reflexively believing the 'fear' and ultimately the mind's conditioning will express less subconscious fear of that thing or situation that we will feel or experience.

Doing this unbelief tactic initially in coordination with any of those other possible methods or techniques to address it can have much more lasting effect in managing any fear we feel.

On 3/6/2019 at 9:11 AM, hyruga said:

In my experience you cant really get rid of fear, but you can overcome it.  Start with asking yourself what you want to do genuinely.  Then from there go out and do those things and if fear comes up, recognize the fear by inwardly saying, this is fear, its natural and normal and even CEOs and the best actors, sports players, soldiers all have fear arise.  It's not going to kill me, and I'm going to do what I want and not let this fear be the reason I dont go forward.  It will get easier and easier the more you do this.  The first times doing this will be challenging, but stick with it.

Edited by Mu_

Love.

We fear what we don't understand. Love accepts that we are inseparable from that which we direct our affections towards. In love, there is knowing. In knowing, fear ceases to exist.

"Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all."

-Aristotle 

Watch the videos "How To Deal With Strong Negative Emotions" and "Awareness Alone Is Curative". Trust me, this helps:) 

Edited by LoveandPurpose

42 minutes ago, LoveandPurpose said:

Watch the videos "How To Deal With Strong Negative Emotions" and "Awareness Alone Is Curative". Trust me, this helps:) 

This. How to deal with strong negative emotions is one of the best videos I have seen on how to deal with fear.