Sine

Book recommendations on how to make friends?

5 posts in this topic

I am looking for books that can help me build a stronger social circle. I find it very difficult getting close to people, when the thing is not about sex. Therefore my only truly close friends are people I have been dating, and even though it can sometimes be fine, I would like to be able to make friend with people just for the friendship. I am going through a breakup right now, while also getting declined at every education I have applied for.. It feels like I have lost my whole life and I'm am struggeling alot not falling into depression and suicidal thoughts. I have been meditating for years and I'm planning to go on a vipassana retreat in the summer. I have used alot of this week contemplating. I see that it's me who is struggeling more with the breakup than my ex-partner, and I think the reason for it is that I came into his home and life, where there is friends and love, but now when the relationship is gone, I am the one standing with nothing. I really much want to build a strong, good life of my own. But it is so difficult when everything seems to fall apart. If anyone have read any good books on making friends or social skills I would like to know - or if anyone have some other advice, maybe have been in the same life situation. 

I liked the book: How to Win Friends and Influence People, by Dale Carnegie.

Maybe you'd get some value from this book.

"Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves."

- Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

I second How to Win Friends and Influence People. What's holding you back with making friends though? Is it social anxiety? If that's the case, I recommend anything by Dr. Aziz Gazipura as well. Good luck!

"How to Win Friends and Influence People." Is a terrible book. It's about appealing directly to a person's ego to mostly gain business influence.

If the Devil is in the detail. I don't know, maybe try talking or writing to someone like an agony aunt or uncle, priest/monk, advice column.

@iTommy Thank you, I will give the book at try! @improvementedward I have suffered from social anxiety when I was a child and young teenager, but not anymore. But it is a good question, I haven't really asked myself why. I will think about it. Maybe it has something to do with my childhood, where I saw my mother with no friends but social relations only to do with sex or/and partnership. Now I'm ending up the same way..I really need to change that!