Michael569

Audiobooks Yes or No?

31 posts in this topic

@Marc Schinkel

4 hours ago, Marc Schinkel said:

I find that the information retention is lower and use it more like a "trial read" of books

good idea! I might do that sometimes thanks for sharing. 

4 hours ago, Marc Schinkel said:

It's worth noting that you can return audible books at anytime for any reason and reuse the credit on a new book. I do this every time I finish a book that wasn't amazing.

wait, even with books you have already finished? 

@Joseph Maynor thanks, on the to-read list it goes! 

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@Michael569 reading a text book while listening to its audio version is one of the best experiences for me in terms of consuming the content of a book.

unborn Truth

I am always listening to something when i am doing stuff but i have to admit that my retention rate isn't good, in fact it is poor, i learn a lot more through reading as it forces me to keep engaged, its more like an active approach to learning. That being said, it is way better to listen to something, even if you retain 1% of it then nothing at all. And as said before, if you want to learn from audiobooks, you have to be in a meditative state, focused. 

Yes and no. I love The War of Art by Stephen Pressfield on audible, but a book like Money Master the Game by Tony Robbins, or many others, should be in paper  format. Eckart Tolle is good in audio when he is the narrating. Love it.

8 hours ago, MikeB said:

I love The War of Art by Stephen Pressfield on audible

@MikeB oh Yes!! I've been meaning to read that one for ages.  Thanks for the reminder !!

@Marc Schinkel love this devilish idea :D 

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

When I was working summer job at a factory I used noice cancelling headphones to listen to audiobooks all day long. That was when I was introduced to Eckhart Tolle's teachings and during my monotonous work I would listen to audiobooks while applying Eckhart's techniques, and those 2 months have been my life's fastest time I have ever grown spiritually.

At one point I was able to reach state where I went to work and wouldn't stop smiling for all day. I wasn't making a face, I just wanted to smile and acknowledge how good everything was. Not thinking, just observing. Just being with my whole body relaxed

With regular books, I would never have been able to achieve what I achieved during those 2 months

Edited by Hansu

On 3/4/2019 at 2:26 PM, Michael569 said:

Is it the lazy man's excuse or an amazing tool to digest more knowledge in shorter amount of time? 

How would you make sure you get best of them?

In its proper context its an amazing tool: I heard it called enlightened multitasking, when you are doing a specific task that does not require your undivided attention as others have noted driving, doing the dishes, etc. basically you are simultaneously getting a low ROI task done while taking in potentially life changing knowledge. If theres something that gives you an insight just bookmark it, write a brief note about it and review when finished with the book, you can compile the notes afterwards as well. 

I love listening to audible content, perfect learning tool for me! :) Leos videos are amazing ^^ ! I'm a strong believer in that we all have different learning styles. Mine is definitely audible.

I have tried 7-8 different school programs back in my early life and none worked for me (regular school teachings in social environment etc) when i started listening to audible stuff like YouTube/Audible  (in solitude at work (warehouse) for 6-7 years/8 hours per day) my hole life changed. I went from totally lost with depression and many many issues (loong list) from atheist into spiritual and finding my life purpose and more! :) 

//sorry if my English is not that great.

Audiobooks are an extremely powerful tool for everyone who spends lots of time driving to work or doing  house or any other kind of 'manual' work.

I read 4-5 audiobooks monthly and they're a great source of high-quality information for me.

By the way, I'm a developer who is working on an audiobook app, if anyone was ever interested in how they are made, you can check this article out.  

I would also like everyone to buy 'The Handmaid's Tale' audiobook, it's absolutely amazing!

The forgetting curve dictates you forget 50% 1 hour, 70% 1 day and 90% 1 week, it doesn't matter what is the format;
Video
Audio
Text

You can test this for yourself.

So def get to listening to those audiobooks

For me it is easier to take notes while listening than to go back and forth between reading and note taking. Hence I have a big folder with pages and pages of notes that I can study. I learn A LOT more from audio books than traditional books. 

Sailing on the ceiling