Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dean Walker

Am I stuck in an ego trap?

20 posts in this topic

OK so I realise I'm caught in many traps of the ego, but one thats triggering me alot lately is dark humour as it's one thats becoming more prevalent in society and people around me. 

Examples would be Madeleine Mcann jokes coming from young parents that I know, disabled or injured children and adults being considered a joke and paedophilia being considered funny the clearest example would be Herbert the pervert on family guy. 

On top of this the word nonce 'UK slang for paedophile' has become a common place slur in society nowadays. 

A few years ago I would have laughed at these jokes but since getting into self actualization im perceiving this as low consciousness. Am I right in viewing it this way or am I disowning dark humour from my ego and should I see it as both funny and wrong? 

'What is dark humor?' contemplation for 40 minutes and you will be so enlightened about what you are asking :)

Use the Prayer Swat Team!

@okulele I'd say making light of a dark situation? But if so that's not seeing the problem for how it is, to me it's low consciousness and taking the easy way out? 

You probably only think of dark humor as bad because you associate the content of the joke with supporting the act.

Those are two differente things.

The truth is that if you can't laugh about a subject, it means you still didn't accept it as a part of the reality you live in.

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

@Shin yes I think I am associating laughing at it with supporting it. 

But i fully understand that these things are a part of reality, and like I said before I got into self actualization I would have laughed at these jokes, I now just find them wrong possibly through a heightened sence of empathy? 

Say a young mother who shares jokes about Madeleine Mcann and laughs at them then has her child abducted, would she not feel guilty for not being sympathetic towards the situation and regret making jokes about it? 

2 minutes ago, Dean Walker said:

@Shin yes I think I am associating laughing at it with supporting it. 

But i fully understand that these things are a part of reality, and like I said before I got into self actualization I would have laughed at these jokes, I now just find them wrong possibly through a heightened sence of empathy? 

Say a young mother who shares jokes about Madeleine Mcann and laughs at them then has her child abducted, would she not feel guilty for not being sympathetic towards the situation and regret making jokes about it? 

Let's say you find gay jokes funny,

Would you stop laughing at those jokes if you'd discover you're gay ?

God is love

And God in them

@Shin I don't suppose I would, but aren't people happy being gay? It's not like you'd be happy with your child being abducted. 

I'm sorry if you think I'm going back and forth with this question but I'm trying to understand why im thinking this way. Like isn't the purpose of this work to be more compassionate? 

So take a bum on the street, do I give them compassion and understand some unfortunate circumstances lead to them being in that position, or do I just go back to laughing at jokes made at their expense?

4 minutes ago, Shiva said:

@Dean Walker interesting observation.

It's the opposite for me though. 

Becoming more and more conscious little by little I find that I've become a lot more humourous and that it's much easier to laugh at anything including dark humour.

In general I've lost a lot of my seriousness.

not so sure, you seams to contemplate a lot the question for coming here, for it to resonate it seams you still believe you transcend, and that maybe is true in your own subtle evolution, though that's not how I feel about you.

You believe you are humorous, but my sense told me something else about you, easy irritated by some topics. 

@Shiva I went from being one of the wittiest and most outgoing characters in my school almost Jim Carrey like, to a cold, humourless, over analytical robot since trying to better myself.

34 minutes ago, Dean Walker said:

@Shin I don't suppose I would, but aren't people happy being gay? It's not like you'd be happy with your child being abducted. 

I'm sorry if you think I'm going back and forth with this question but I'm trying to understand why im thinking this way. Like isn't the purpose of this work to be more compassionate? 

So take a bum on the street, do I give them compassion and understand some unfortunate circumstances lead to them being in that position, or do I just go back to laughing at jokes made at their expense?

You would still find jokes about poverty funny, but you wouldn't make fun of someone who is if you don't know him enough to know that he wouldn't be offended by it.

Like I can literally joke about concentration camp, but obviously I wouldn't make a joke about nazis in front of jewish people, because the topic is too painful for most people.

I would still find a concentration camp joke funny even near jewish people, but by compassion I wouldn't laugh or make the joke verbally.

Edited by Shin

God is love

And God in them

@Shin@Shin I genuinely find it very difficult to laugh at jokes where someone has been impacted negatively by something whether their aware of the joke or not, I don't like to jump on the bandwagon of this term but I can't help but think I've become a 'snowflake' and easily offended by things through trying to become more compassionate. 

@Sahil Pandit to me that is becoming more conscious of your actions but don't take my word on it that's just my opinion. But that is the type of thing I would have done before I got into self actualizing and now I'm the exact opposite and would see that as the ego talking. 

10 minutes ago, Shiva said:

Well, if your senses lead you to conclusions and judgements about a person you've never even met, you might want to consider that what you feel is not how things really are.

true, but that's just words anyway, doesn't matter if I judge you, it matter ?

3 minutes ago, Aeris said:

true, but that's just words anyway, doesn't matter if I judge you, it matter ?

It matter because the person in question can feel hurt.

God is love

And God in them

@Dean Walker 

Yes I have noticed this thing with humor also. My tastes in it have changed dramatically over the years.

Sarcasm has no humour points for me because of its violent masquerade.

Much jokey style stand up comedy is disguised communication of something.

I think humour is based largely on intent rather than context.

Yes Id say its a good sign that youre progressing.....As your understanding of humanity becomes more 'real' for you and you develop compassion them your taste in humour will alter.

Try going to a stand up comedy event. If you find the event sad and your heart is weeping for the people making the self depreciating or harmful jokes just to make people laugh, then youre awake enough.

Laughing and amusement is not the same as Comedy.

Comedy is usually quite dark. On the surface an entertainment, deeper an educational opinion is raised, deeper still an attack is being launched or prepared. Most comedians sadly attack themseleves. They are so accustomed to not feeling of any worrhy and try and get other people to confirm this to them in the viel of disguise .

All comedy involves a lack of understanding of another person or group.

Take for example famous Mr Bean. He is amusing, but not a comedian. The intent is different.

Be playful, but dont be a comedian.

The real low consciousness thing is to label dark humor as "low consciousness", 

@Serotoninluv I would say I've went through a lot of empathetical growth in the last 5 years if anything a little too much, I know there's no such thing as too much empathy but I've reached a stage were it's impeding my ability to voice my opinion when a friend is using a joke like the examples I've used. I understand why the joke is distasteful but I feel empathic towards the person using it because I understand their motivation to use it meaning the environment in which they have been brought up and ideologies they've been exposed to has lead them to believe the use of said joke is acceptable. @JohnnyBravo I can agree with your observation of comedy and say I've experienced this feeling of what I would say pure empathy towards the comedian when you can just see through the guies of the laughs to see who's expense the joke is aimed at or the comedians own insecurity and just feel sorry for them basically. 

However I've just sat and watched 2 hours of Only fools and horses and stand up comedian Jason Manford to try and get a better understanding of it and like I just said serotoninluv to what I've just observed my level of humour or as to what I can laugh at starts with my ideologies when I don't look at it with empathy. 

An example would be this and I understand this could be considered offensive by some but it actually made me laugh. 

Jason Manford used a joke explaining explaining that every man has a hole in the end of he's penis, and he asked the audience what the name of this hole was called (bearing in mind this is an English comedian speaking in to an English audience). And the audience replied 'jap eye' to which Jason agreed. 

Now I understand this could be considered stereotypical and offensive but he went on to explain all men in the uk use this term for that part of there dick even when going to the doctors. Saying that most men don't even know the real name for this part but all refer to it as a jap eye is an observational view on comedy and I would guess that about 90%+ of men I know would only know to refer to that part by that name and that's through what they've learnt from their environment as well as myself in this example.

However a video that's being shared by mainstream media at the moment of a man throwing a slice of cheese at baby that's being regarded as funny by most people when to me it's not funny as it's not an observation on society just a cheap laugh. 

@Gabriel AntonioAntonio I do think this sometimes but get overwhelmed by the idea that it's wrong. 

14 minutes ago, Dean Walker said:

@Serotoninluv I would say I've went through a lot of empathetical growth in the last 5 years if anything a little too much, I know there's no such thing as too much empathy but I've reached a stage were it's impeding my ability to voice my opinion when a friend is using a joke like the examples I've used. I understand why the joke is distasteful but I feel empathic towards the person using it because I understand their motivation to use it meaning the environment in which they have been brought up and ideologies they've been exposed to has lead them to believe the use of said joke is acceptable. 

I've also gone deep into empathetic energy zones. For me it can get too intense. I've had to leave a few situations because the empathy became overwhelming. It's a tool I am learning how to use. As well, I've found it really important to establish personal boundaries when I enter deep empathetic zones. I've dated a few narcissists that were more than happy to vampire my empathetic energy.

Careful not to turn yourself into a polical correctness police type of person. Middle path is the best...