Peo

Doing a one year solo reatreat

27 posts in this topic

What do you guys think about doing a whole year just meditating and doing spiritual techniques? I think this can be one of the fastet way to attain enlightenment. Getting some few enlightenment experience is not really that hard, but to attain no mind state is way more challenging. I'm not sure, but i think one year solo reatreat is more then enought to attain no-mind state. I have been thinking about this a while now. I really just want to attain enlightenment fast so i can live the rest of my life in this enlightenment state of consciousness.

I quit everything and worked on it for 2 years now

Who teaches us whats real and how to laugh at lies? Who decides why we live and what we'll die to defend?Who chain us? And who holds the Key that can set us free? 

It's you.

You have all the weapons you need 

Now fight.

It's good for Enlightenment Work to take as much time off as possible from the rat race.  And this includes the rat race of being a Spiritual Ego as well.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

If you’re planing on postponing life in search for enlightenment, you should be able to answer these questions: what does enlightenment mean to you? How will it change your life if attained? Is your life naturally shifting into this direction or are you going to have to make big sacrifices (in life purpose) to go on this journey? what are your true desires, and would you be able to let them all go? How bad are you suffering? Make sure you are ready to give up your identity. (See if you can answer these for yourself) 

@Peo I don't think a one year solo retreat is super realistic. If you're the exception and you can do this, you probably would know it pretty deeply.

Have you tried a 1 week or 10 day retreat already?

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.

@outlandish i'm not saying i will do it now and no i have not completed 1 week solo retreat but it is coming. I have faith i will one day be able to do a one year solo retreat

Are you willing to end your life? Willing to give up everything? Willing to give up everything you like, love and cherish most in your life? True enlightenment is suicide. It takes balls to do that. If you think you can answer yes to these, then by all means, go for it! 

Me, I'm building a fully self-contained mobile home. With 1000W solar panels, 5000W inverter and a separate alternator. All so I can live up in the mountains, far away from all distractions, for weeks or months at a time, so I can fully dedicate to full nonduel enlightenment. Yes one can do it anywhere at any time, but for me, I need to space and quiet. 

@Peo I bet 1-2 years of every day mediation like a 1/2 hour & an hour of self inquiry every could get you there, also doing self inquiry all day long, I think many people make it harder then it needs to be, then again I’m not enlightened... 

10 hours ago, Peo said:

What do you guys think about doing a whole year just meditating and doing spiritual techniques? I think this can be one of the fastet way to attain enlightenment. Getting some few enlightenment experience is not really that hard, but to attain no mind state is way more challenging. I'm not sure, but i think one year solo reatreat is more then enought to attain no-mind state. I have been thinking about this a while now. I really just want to attain enlightenment fast so i can live the rest of my life in this enlightenment state of consciousness.

@Peo just know, you will have physical and mental ramifications if you do this. Your muscles will become extremely weak and stuff if your meditaing all the time...you can develop problems from the withdrawal from your human nature. It would be hard to come back, but I know that enlightenment is the only thing that matters, and if you feel good telling to do some mad 1 year retreat, then you would be an absolute fool not to do it. 

@Peo I'm thinking of doing this but for two years, probably in a monastery. People spend there whole lives doing this its not actually as a big of a deal as you might think. defo go and do a few smaller retreats and build up to see if you would be able to cope with the lifestyle of it. I got the idea of doing this when on my first ten day retreat years ago, I saw the potential of completely dedicating yourself to this, you really start to build alot of momentum.

What I am thinking of doing is before I go start living like a monk for a month or two but whilst still having a job, then go off for a three month retreat, then go for two years.  It will be very challenging but worth it :) 

Do you guys think a one year solo retreat would be too go to fast and have a much stronger ego backlash if i do this? Do you think this could drive me insane if i just meditate 24/7 for a whole year?

You'll be fine. If it becomes unbearable you'll simply stop it. The motivation will dissipate by itself once you reach a point of total exhaustion. Then you'll know if you want to continue or you simply can't go anymore.

Edited by Salvijus

I have been contemplating something similar in the past. Maybe looking through the topic where it was discussed might help you out.

I decided that I will not leave society, but by no means do I claim that it is not a valid path.

Use the Prayer Swat Team!

2 hours ago, Peo said:

Do you guys think a one year solo retreat would be too go to fast and have a much stronger ego backlash if i do this? Do you think this could drive me insane if i just meditate 24/7 for a whole year?

2 years is more strong, deep in the jungle, hunting your own food

14 hours ago, Jed Vassallo said:

Are you willing to end your life? Willing to give up everything? Willing to give up everything you like, love and cherish most in your life? True enlightenment is suicide. It takes balls to do that. If you think you can answer yes to these, then by all means, go for it! 

Me, I'm building a fully self-contained mobile home. With 1000W solar panels, 5000W inverter and a separate alternator. All so I can live up in the mountains, far away from all distractions, for weeks or months at a time, so I can fully dedicate to full nonduel enlightenment. Yes one can do it anywhere at any time, but for me, I need to space and quiet. 

Interesting! Would love if you made a thread about this :P

What will you be doing with food etc.?

4 hours ago, Peo said:

if you build up to it it won't be, but your main problem will be trying to do it solo, so easy to just quit. Would be better to do it at a monastery, as you will be surrounded by a nurturing environment.  

If you were successful, and that is absolutely possible, YOU, as you think of yourself now would not return to live the rest of YOUR life...you would see through all of that.

From the perspective you have now there is no way of understanding what life would look like in a year.