Guest SirVladimir

Freedom is Overrated

20 posts in this topic

I'm taking the Life Purpose Course and I must say I am, well, perhaps not-so-surprised by this. I wrote the list of my top 10 values and I had to compare them. At first, it seemed like freedom would be positioned high, but it ended up at number 10 under values like love, connection, leadership... Even this small insight taught me something about myself and society. People want absolute freedom until they get it - then they don't know what to do with it. Perhaps a great book topic for the future. I am being completely subjective of course.

There's nothing more valuable then freedom. In fact it's the only thing that has value. 

There's only one value - freedom. All those other 9 can be discarded. A person can live without money, sex, relationships, family, whatever you name it and be absolutely happy and blissful. The possibility is there .

But a person can never accept bondage. There's not a single person who is completly satisfied to be bounded by limitations. Various kinds of limitations like financial limitations, social limitations, biological limitations etc.. human life is constantly longing to find boundless freedom, limitless space. 

You have to understand freedom is enlightenmemt. Enlightenmemt is the ultimate freedom.

Freedom is my number one value in life. I always have this drive to explore, breakthrough, enjoy - without limitations.

But I know that there's a lot of people who don't care about it at all.

Does a slave can be satisfied with life?  Can a slave have self-steem? self-eficacy? The feeling that he has the power to change his situation in life?

It's a pretty fascinating thing to think about and study. Freedom and happiness don't go hand in hand if you're a materialist. It's like kids want and need structure and connection, and just enough freedom. We don't grow out of that as adults. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

21 hours ago, Moreira said:

Does a slave can be satisfied with life?  Can a slave have self-steem? self-eficacy? The feeling that he has the power to change his situation in life?

@Moreira https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Epictetus

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

Deny working from someone who has been working for 8 hours a day for the past 40 years and just see how happy it makes them.

They are happy for maybe 2 months. Then depression comes and they have no idea how to deal and contemplate their emotions.

On 28/02/2019 at 11:06 PM, Girzo said:

Freedom is my number one value in life. I always have this drive to explore, breakthrough, enjoy - without limitations.

But I know that there's a lot of people who don't care about it at all.

all men must serve.

you just ain't aware then.

Non Servium. Ultimately you serve someone/thing. Or there is no you; Enlightenment Achieved!

If you live in a country where if you PURCHASE land and still have to pay property taxes for it, you are NOT free!

Yes, freedom as a value is not so high for me. Its kind of like comfort. Feeling free however is more important.

On 3/20/2019 at 5:15 PM, universe said:

Yes, freedom as a value is not so high for me. Its kind of like comfort. Feeling free however is more important.

And piggybacking off of this, we find that feeling free leads to more innovation and novel ideas because everyone isn't solely focused on the constraints and wanting to have that feeling of freedom. There needs to be a feeling of freedom in society and within ourselves because if there is a feeling of constraint there can't be True expression of that individual. There may be expression, but it will seem to lack luster to others. Tyrannical oppression has clearly proven to be more of a bad thing in the history of civilization

I agree with @Shiva, there are many misconceptions about freedom. 

Boundaries can give us freedom. Imagine two friends, one has a lot of money and the other one doesn't. The one, who has a lot of money, can easily binge on fast food, expensive goodies, stylish clothes and become addicted to all that, without ever thinking about it, while the other person is naturally in control of themselves. In this situation, it is a boundary. Of course, if you have knowledge and good intention, like Bill Gates for example, it can also be beneficial.

Feeling can give us freedom. Imagine a businessman, who sees a poor person, who looks like a slave. He asks the person, whether he is free or not. The person describes their life and from the perspective of the businessman, it looks so empty, so he starts to think, that the person is not happy. But by the looks of things, the „slave“ is happy, just because they feel free and fulfilled and the businessman is not happy, because he is inside his own paradigm of lies.

On 05/03/2019 at 1:55 PM, Shiva said:

Today in the west, people are not suffering their bondage, they are suffering their freedom. They can become anything they want. That's why they're stressed. Suddenly you have to find your passion your purpose etc. They are looking for something that bounds them. They don't like limitless possibilities.

I would say my dog is rather bound, but yet when I look at him, most of the time he seems even happier than me xD Because he simply enjoys. He is not freaked out about what may happen or what he could or should be.

Freedom means, you're completely free. This can be a really scary thing.

Freedom is fundamental, people are searching for security. 

16 minutes ago, Shiva said:

If you want security you have to build high walls. Unfortunately the walls you build to protect yourself are also your own self-created prison.

I read that as «stay in comfort zone, it’s nice»

@Andreas Read the story of Abraham, and see for yourself why there is a real trap in staying in the "comfort zone"

Everyone already has absolute freedom, though only the enlightened realize it. Like all words it has a different meaning to everybody. But, generally speaking, no one enjoys their self-imposed suffering.

The word is thrown around a lot by politicians which causes the confusion for some to believe they require it or need more of it.
Of course, not a thing that anyone can acquire, because it is a state of being that one has to embody.

I'm also reminded of a funny political definition of "freedom" in the "Devil's Dictionary"

Freedom

n. A political condition that every nation supposes itself to enjoy in virtual monopoly.

@Rokazulu Well said and welcome. I remember you from other forums and or youtube as well.

You made some really good points what i recall, hope all is well :)

B R E A T H E

9 minutes ago, pluto said:

@Rokazulu Well said and welcome. I remember you from other forums and or youtube as well.

You made some really good points what i recall, hope all is well :)

what other forums you be on pluto?