Wyze

What would cults look like in tier 2?

6 posts in this topic

We all know cults take on camouflages of ideologies depending on which stage of people they are trying to appeal to.

So tier 1:

Cults during stage blue: The Ultimate Figure head

Cults during stage Orange: The Ultimate Scientific Truth

Cults during stage Green: The Ultimate Community

What do you think cult in tier 2 will look like? (I think it is possible to have a negative manifestation of tier 2 simply because you need an extreme to move onto the higher stages. Without the negativity, the excess, the destructiveness or simple "its not working" - the individual will not ve motivated to move up)

A cult implies improper development in lower stages. If you are hopelessly attracted to cults, you should start from a lower stage again.

2nd tier is not incorruptible.

and for arguments sake, assume that 2nd tier is incorruptible. then what would push someone from yellow to turquoise?

Edited by Wyze

@Wyze Cults keep their followers in line by toying around with the most primal and low consciousness aspects of their human nature. The desire for validation, love, fear, belonging, dogmatism, tribalism: these are all things which cults manipulate. 

The higher the level of consciousness of the followers, the less extreme the cult can be to get away with their shit. 

To me, spiral dynamics models what the natural course of development is for human perception and thinking. Why this development happens the way it does, I don't know. SD is modelling the sequence of how humans grow and change their perspective on things when they see their current perspective "isn't working" (with "working" being relative to some hard to define standard). It is because of this that being higher on the spiral is associated with being higher in your level of consciousness. But this is just a correlation. 

In my view, the difference between stage green and stage yellow is massive. Tier 1 and Tier 2 are very far apart. Hence the people in tier 2 are higher consciousness on average. "Cults" which work for tier 2 people will hence have to be more sophisticated and intellectual in their dogma, and will also have to be far more subtle about their manipulation. Cults for tier 2 will be less cultish. I'm calling a cult tier 2 if its followers are tier 2, not just the leader.

I forgot what definition Leo uses for determining whether a group is a cult with a simple black and white answer. Regardless of that definition, I wouldn't be surprised if you can get tier 2 communities with significant cult dynamics. 

Edited by lmfao

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.