Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Seed

Psychotherapy / counselling - who has had it ?

Psychotherapy / counselling - is it worth it?   11 members have voted

1. 1. Have you had pychotherapy / counselling for 12 sessions or more?

• Yes - it was invaluable
    • Yes but the progress didnt last
    • Yes - it was a massive mistake and made me worse
    • No and never would
    • No but would consider it

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 posts in this topic

Hello.

I am currently in the process of some therapy and finding it is making me worse and causing lots of ego backlash / drama. However, I kind of feel it needs to be done because of childhood trauma.

Although, the phrase 'let sleeping dogs lie' is rattling around in my brain and I feel I have gone downhill since starting. But, only 6 sessions in.

Would love to know everyone else's thoughts / experiences.

Thank you 

I did and it was invaluable.

I'm not going to give up though. Probably the counselors.

Edited by CuteCornDog

I've been in therapy for a while and I love it. The main thing that was helpful for me was to learn to be more accepting of myself. I learned from an early age that I was supposed to be a certain way, achieve something, or becomes someone important. Now I'm fine just being totally normal. My life is much more peaceful and I don't really give a rat's ass what anyone thinks of me. I chose my therapist because he was really experienced and had worked with a shit ton of people. In my opinion, a good therapist is going to help you work towards acceptance, responsibility, and self-awareness.

I did and the only valuable thing i got from there was that she introduced me to meditation  and she made me realize i have no awareness of my emotions. :D

Edited by Salvijus

35 minutes ago, Salvijus said:

I did and the only valuable thing i got from there was that she introduced me to meditation  and she made me realize i have no awareness of my emotions. :D

That sounds fun.

36 minutes ago, ivory said:

I've been in therapy for a while and I love it. The main thing that was helpful for me was to learn to be more accepting of myself. I learned from an early age that I was supposed to be a certain way, achieve something, or becomes someone important. Now I'm fine just being totally normal. My life is much more peaceful and I don't really give a rat's ass what anyone thinks of me. I chose my therapist because he was really experienced and had worked with a shit ton of people. In my opinion, a good therapist is going to help you work towards acceptance, responsibility, and self-awareness.

I haven't picked any of the the three therapists I had more than one session with. Two of them were free. The other one was ten dollars per session.

Edited by CuteCornDog

it depends on who is the therpist ? how they do it ?

the only valuable thing i get is talking with somebody who  actually  TRY to understand what am going through

and get it out  of my chest ,

but most of them are in orange state make it difficult if you have layers of grren and yellow ....

I miss an option. "Yes, and it helped a little bit. "

I'm voting invaluable because the progress DID last. It took a long time to start showing, and it was rather subtle, but adding up little by little it set the necessary basis for some more powerful techniques - so maybe in that sense, it was invaluable indeed. 

Edited by Elisabeth