Alexander Goffrier

Self-Inquiry/Meditation tips

9 posts in this topic

I've been getting around to self-inquiry and have been trying to make a daily ritual out of it, but lately, I find myself not being able to actually do it. Sitting down to even begin with it is the hardest part. Does anyone have any advice on how to wrangle my ego and settle down? I've been thinking of doing this right after I wake up and eat breakfast but I'm not sure if I should rush into it like that.

Also, when I try to focus on my awareness itself, I am not sure how to feel. What I do is try to clear my mind of all thoughts so that my mind naturally starts focusing on awareness itself, but I am not sure if this is the correct way to self-inquire. I've also tried this exercise while feeling tired and I have managed to enter a trance where I feel half-asleep and am thinking about almost nothing at all. How do ya'll know if you are doing it correctly?

Here's what I do every morning:

- Get up early
- Cold shower (so that I can wake up properly)
- 20 minutes of regular meditation (so that my mind can settle)
- 20 minutes of self-inquiry

If you have a lot of monkey-mind, I recommend doing some sort of meditation before the actual self-inquiry, so you don't 'waste' your session chasing your thoughts.

/ Or check out the Kriya thread. It is said to have a great calming effect on the mind.

Edited by nistake

@Alexander Goffrier The biggest challenge with spiritual work is that the mind refuses to do it. And the closer you get the Truth, the more the mind resists.

There cannot be spirituality without self-discipline and training.

There is no magic trick for avoiding this. It must be faced. Which grows you in and of itself.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

2 hours ago, Alexander Goffrier said:

I've been thinking of doing this right after I wake up and eat breakfast

First go meditate, then eat.

I am on a poop -> yoga -> breakfast path, because that's how yogis teach it.

2 hours ago, Alexander Goffrier said:

How do ya'll know if you are doing it correctly?

Often this just comes with continued practise and study. Search the forum for anything related to self-inquiry and read it all! Read Leo's guide at the top of the forum, watch all his videos on self-inquiry, watch his blog retreat videos because he occasionally talks about self-inquiry there. Study the technique from many different sources whilst you practise daily, and then you'll eventually figure it out. Focusing on awareness is great, but questioning and wondering about who or what is aware is also beneficial. Just remember to stay in actuality, what is actually true right now!

"Find what you love and let it kill you." - Charles Bukowski

3 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

The biggest challenge with spiritual work is that the mind refuses to do it. And the closer you get the Truth, the more the mind resists.

I agree, from autopsy.