Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Justin Evans

Does spiral dynamics contain historical examples?

3 posts in this topic

Forgive me if this is the wrong topic channel, I was unsure where this question would go. I am taking a senior seminar class, a hybrid of political science and international affairs. I am writing a thesis which challenges the book "Closing of the American Mind" by Alan Bloom by comparing the perspective to spiral dynamics. Alan Bloom believes that the characteristics of stage green (relativism, multiculturalism, mob mentality, democratic theory, and values) are a degradation to democracy, the university, and to humanity which could potentially spiral into a new form of fascism. From what I've heard, spiral dynamics includes all of these facts and recognizes the limitations of these characteristics in stage green, however, they see it as a necessary stage which we will eventually grow out of. Going to the question, I found the book online, but it looks like it talks about business and leadership. Before I buy it for research, does anyone know if inside that book there will be historical or political examples or is it just business related?

2 hours ago, Justin Evans said:

Alan Bloom believes that the characteristics of stage green (relativism, multiculturalism, mob mentality, democratic theory, and values) are a degradation to democracy, the university, and to humanity which could potentially spiral into a new form of fascism. 

That is a Blue/Orange perspective looking up at Green. 

From what I've heard, spiral dynamics includes all of these facts and recognizes the limitations of these characteristics in stage green, however, they see it as a necessary stage which we will eventually grow out of. 

That doesn't sound like an accurate description. Green is much healthier than Orange. It's not a "necessary evil".

That would be like saying "romantic relationships based on love, emotional connection, mutual support and heart-to-heart communication has it's limitations, however it is a necessary stage that we will eventually grow out of". This statement is nonsense when one considers that Orange relationships are much more self-centered and involve much more conflict. 

Before I buy it for research, does anyone know if inside that book there will be historical or political examples or is it just business related?

Based on what you wrote, it sounds like an Orange-level biased and inaccurate portrayal of Spiral Dynamics. If you are interested in that perspective, go for it. I wouldn't read it. 

Have you watched Leo's series on SD and seen the mega-thread examples? These are at a much higher level and have tons of historical and political examples.

To be clear I am writing an argument against Alan Bloom. I think stage green is very positive compared to the previous stages (although they all have valuable lessons on their own) However, I am presenting my thesis to a professor heavily invested in stage blue and orange so it is important that I chose my wording wisely so it can better relate. I have watched Leo's SD videos, I love them and I wanted to bring that in some shape or form into academic discussions. I might just buy the book anyways because it could be useful tool for personal growth, but if it does not have historical / political examples in it then I cannot use it in my thesis.

Thank you for your reply btw.

Edited by Justin Evans