Cocolove

Jobs with psychology

33 posts in this topic

54 minutes ago, Shiva said:

Good point. Some of my roommates in college studied psychology. The thing is that psychology is a social science. So, it's an academic field. You'll be reading lots of papers, statistics, theories, reviewing literature and so on. The way it's taught in universities usually isn't very practical from my experience. If that's your thing, I'd say go for it, but it's probably not like the practical personal development type of psychology. So, just make sure you have the right expectations.

Realizing this saddened me.

Especially when i realized that no one around me cared about actual personal development, even in terms of improving their psychology...

It's gonna be a no from me dawg. 

I went to orientation for psychology yesterday and am nervous about it not being practical enough for me. I thought I'd give it a try because I expected there to be some personal development involved. I also got an offer for sport and exercise science so I'm confused as to what I should pick like I don't just wanna quit before its even started. Like for me I do lots of jobs that feel below what I'm truly capable of and sometimes I wish I had better direction to do something better or to at least follow through with it. I do advanced personal development as well as more fundamental stuff with Jordan Peterson and I guess I feel alone on this journey. Like I want to help people to become happy with themselves and I'm an advocate personality so can anybody here help me.

13 hours ago, Andreas said:

By that definition everything is a disease. Smoking is a disease, procrastinating would be a disease. Choosing bad friends would be a disease. That's irrational. A "condition" is not something a person does. It is soomething a person HAS, that's a disease. Major difference. Wouldn't homosexuality be a disease because of social problems? It was. Not it's not. The "disease" has suddenly disapeared and is no longer harmful. At least in the US. If you go to Pakistan it's a disease. How come? Is Pakistan wrong? Are the leaders of Pakistan having a mental illness too? Wouldn't stigmatizing the leaders of Pakistan be possible to be counterstigmatized by Pakistan because it's a "dysfunction"? Where is the logic? 

Any mental illness is based upon social conflict. If I talk to god, and follow his writings im normal. If God talks to me, and gives direct instructions on how to speak and behave, im having a mental illness. That's irrational. A disease is not something a person does because something a person does cannot be categorized into a so-called "condition". It's an act, something a person does. It's free will. 

No because smoking is not an excessive abnormal behavior and neither is procrastinating. Severe procrastination CAN turn into a problem and cause distress for people and so can smoking. But is some smoking or procrastination bad? No.

so is hallucinating that your cousin is whispering awful things about you to your family kind of is though.

Once homosexuality was actually studied and understood, the idea of it being disease makes no sense when in nature many animals have gay sex. Homosexuality also does not cause self-destructive behavior man, it was ideological religion and close mindedness that created that mess.

Yeah man, the dude who shot John Lennon was mentally unwell. He was talking ignorance and delusion and then killed someone.

Uh, I am connected and instructed by God everyday and I do not have mental illness.

Mental illness is also based upon self-harm and self-destructive behavior too. 

Call it a disease or lack of consciousness or superhero powers like Kanye. There are behaviors, beliefs, and thoughts that can be excessive and turn into self-destructive, socially destructive behavior or in other words, lack of consciousness. 

it just sounds like you are taking the word disease in this offensive manner.

Question: If you see someone about to kill themselves, they got a rope around their neck about to kill themselves. you are going to seriously look at them and say, yep your thoughts, feeling, and perspective is okay and something a mentally well person would do? Or is it just likely that they are not seeing the world clearly? will you help them and stop them from killing themselves?

I would not be so quick to write of the material you learn in psychology. You learn how to better conceptualize people in a way(although you will need to find the balance), learn how the brain works, how to come up an experimental study, and common dysfunctional patterns in human beings. How psychology was born and various ways to conceptualize memory, language, cognition, and emotions. 

at some point you do cover approaches like psychoanalysis, the client centered approach, and the work of Maslow, Rogers, Freud, and Jung. But honestly if you want to get deep into their work, you'll have to do it yourself and perhaps a master's program that focuses on their principles. 

For example in my master's classes, I would read excerpts from book of Rogers and talk about the value of non-judging. We also did activities that dissolved boundaries and I had a professor who had us do a breathing exercise before class.

It really depends on the school and the teachers. 

But yes I also had to review studies and literature regarding sex in nursing homes (a choice I picked in psychology of aging). And I had to give a presentation regarding the studies, what one can conclude given a unbiased research of literature, and what questions one can ask next to further the topic. 

and honestly it is helpful to know all these things to be able to help people, because you draw from multiple perspectives on how to approach the person you're working with; additionally, it increases your ability to research and assess potential psychological interventions. 

Edited by SgtPepper

9 hours ago, SgtPepper said:

No because smoking is not an excessive abnormal behavior and neither is procrastinating. Severe procrastination CAN turn into a problem and cause distress for people and so can smoking.

At what point do these turn into a disease? What makes the severity of procrastination a disease? If im unhappy for a week im normal. If im unhappy for 2 weeks I have "major depressive disorder". By what logic? It's an emotion. Not a disease. 

But is some smoking or procrastination bad? No.

Smoking and procrastination is good? Anyone who doesn't smoke and procrastinate is mentally ill? 

so is hallucinating that your cousin is whispering awful things about you to your family kind of is though.

Prove it. Prove that someone is hallucinating, you can't. No chemical and objective test. If you see two brain scans you cannot point out who is sicck and who is not. If I was "hallucinating" that my cousin is whispering things about me, I probably had too little friends growing up. Or any other problem in life that would turn my experience into reality. 

Once homosexuality was actually studied and understood, the idea of it being disease makes no sense when in nature many animals have gay sex. Homosexuality also does not cause self-destructive behavior man, it was ideological religion and close mindedness that created that mess.

And every other mental disease is objective? Every single mental illness is VOTED into existence. It's politics. Not science. Just look at this mess.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/briannaheldt/2019/01/07/american-psychological-association-labels-traditional-masculinity-as-harmful-n2538637

Back in history when women couldn't vote and they fought for that right, they had "hysteria". Now in our feminist days, men have the disease. "It was ideological and close mindedness" just as any other mental illness. 

Uh, I am connected and instructed by God everyday and I do not have mental illness.

Don't know where to start on this one. Prove to me that God is real. You cannot. You need faith. A sign of being mentally unwell is not accpeting that  one is mentally unwell. Apparently. Why can this "God" talk to someone and they suddenly have a mental illness. But if you talk to God, when you don't even know he exists, then your normal? Religion used to be a "mental illness". But the social conflict became too big for psychiatry so they dropped it. Just like that, the disease is gone. 

Mental illness is also based upon self-harm and self-destructive behavior too. 

Call it a disease or lack of consciousness or superhero powers like Kanye. There are behaviors, beliefs, and thoughts that can be excessive and turn into self-destructive, socially destructive behavior or in other words, lack of consciousness. 

Yes. Lack of consciousness, just like psychiatrists lack openmindedness. These behaviours are not diseases. They are reactions and adaptions to the environment. Emotions, thoughts and perspectives. Using the reactions to experiences of someone and stigmatizing them is bullying. Not diagnosis. 

Question: If you see someone about to kill themselves, they got a rope around their neck about to kill themselves. you are going to seriously look at them and say, yep your thoughts, feeling, and perspective is okay and something a mentally well person would do? Or is it just likely that they are not seeing the world clearly? will you help them and stop them from killing themselves?

I believe anyone has the right to take their life. Notice what I said there, THEIR LIFE. Some thoughts are wrong, some emotions are wrong. Just like 7 year olds believe in santa claus. People are often more wrong than right. But they have a right to experience reality as they do. I would help them, not by stigmatizing them and locking them up, but by talking to them and showing empathy. After all, they haven't commited a crime. Locking someone up is not likely to make them less suicidal. Obviously. I don't believe criminal activity is going to help someone overcome their difficulties. 

Edited by Andreas

@peanutspathtotruth I'm not too sure about the idea of a trans personal degree anymore. The reason I wanted one is because I want to integrate psychoanalysis and psychology with meditation, stages of insight, etc. (Imagine running a retreat where you're not only deeply realized but also a Ph.D in psychology, and can therefore help people awaken while also navigating their "stuff" skillfully as it gets in the way).

But anyway the trans personal psychology schools seem very stage green, just not what I'm looking for. They have failed to meet up to my fantasy of being all about ken wilber's works (ken wilber is a big inspiration and does the type of work I would like to do). I think I can get this integrative facet in a career from reading on my own, which I'm already deep into.

@Shiva Good point and my thoughts on this are threefold. 1. Suck it up, knowing all that shit will be helpful when I'm really learning the stuff I want to. 2. My masters and Ph.D would involve me expanding on it to take it in my own direction and 3. I will go to a college that meets my desire as close as possible.(there are lots of varieties of psychology bachelors these days, e.g. there's even some chose your curriculum ones).

@SgtPepper helpful post thank you. Of course I would end up covering psychoanalysis very deeply, since I would get a graduate degree in it.

also yall psychoanalysis is so cool:

transference is very cool. check out this video that explains one facet of it. you can just get a sense for how intricate and genious it is

Dream analysis is also cool, very cool. I'm reading this Jung book on dreams rn. that dude analyzed 2000 dreams a year apparently.

Edited by Cocolove

On 3.3.2019 at 0:01 AM, Cocolove said:

@peanutspathtotruth I'm not too sure about the idea of a trans personal degree anymore. The reason I wanted one is because I want to integrate psychoanalysis and psychology with meditation, stages of insight, etc. (Imagine running a retreat where you're not only deeply realized but also a Ph.D in psychology, and can therefore help people awaken while also navigating their "stuff" skillfully as it gets in the way).

But anyway the trans personal psychology schools seem very stage green, just not what I'm looking for. They have failed to meet up to my fantasy of being all about ken wilber's works (ken wilber is a big inspiration and does the type of work I would like to do). I think I can get this integrative facet in a career from reading on my own, which I'm already deep into.

You might be quite right about that. 

Insight from life purpose course LP section exercise 5, 3 passionate events visualization. I realized I specifically get very very enthused and passionate when I am discussing psychology with others in a teaching way, two events came up, one was me discussing a book I was reading and the other was me talking with my friend.

Both cases involved teaching interested people, and both involved what I believed to be fascinating psychological concepts

2 hours ago, Cocolove said:

Insight from life purpose course LP section exercise 5, 3 passionate events visualization. I realized I specifically get very very enthused and passionate when I am discussing psychology with others in a teaching way, two events came up, one was me discussing a book I was reading and the other was me talking with my friend.

Both cases involved teaching interested people, and both involved what I believed to be fascinating psychological concepts

You sound like me xD.

I am also very passionate about reading non-fiction books and talking about what I learned to family and friends. In addition, I love learning about holistic health and wellness, which includes, psychology, nutrition, exercise, and other physiology. I wish academic psychology was a lot more involved to include more biology and nutrition classes. Current academic psychology is still limited in that way, but I am not downplaying it, you still learn a lot about the brain and the various psychological concepts that are too many to name.

On 3/1/2019 at 7:47 AM, Andreas said:

At what point do these turn into a disease? What makes the severity of procrastination a disease? If im unhappy for a week im normal. If im unhappy for 2 weeks I have "major depressive disorder". By what logic? It's an emotion. Not a disease. 

Good question. When the pattern of behavior becomes chronic and distressing. Why is abnormal brain functions not a disease? Why do you choose not to see it as abnormal when it does not fall in the bell curve? 

They are differences in the brain of a depressed person vs the average person. In addition, psychological disorders could very much have a physical cause like an imbalanced gut flora. Look at Dr. Natasha Campbell-Mcbride's work on http://www.gaps.me 

Why is that exercise, yoga, and going outside in the sun improves people's overall wellbeing, if there is not some sort of connection between physical reality and mental reality? I believe them to be intimately connected.

Prove it. Prove that someone is hallucinating, you can't. No chemical and objective test. If you see two brain scans you cannot point out who is sicck and who is not. If I was "hallucinating" that my cousin is whispering things about me, I probably had too little friends growing up. Or any other problem in life that would turn my experience into reality. 

Schizophrenia has a genetic code. Here is a picture of two brain scans that come from twins. 

$.jpeg

I got that cousin example from a story someone told me about their family member, their cousin started accusing people of talking about her at their wedding, when that was not true. 

And every other mental disease is objective? Every single mental illness is VOTED into existence. It's politics. Not science. Just look at this mess.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/briannaheldt/2019/01/07/american-psychological-association-labels-traditional-masculinity-as-harmful-n2538637

Back in history when women couldn't vote and they fought for that right, they had "hysteria". Now in our feminist days, men have the disease. "It was ideological and close mindedness" just as any other mental illness. 

They didn't say it was a mental illness? they said traditional masculine behavior leads to unhealthy behavior and in an extreme case, it absolutely can. like domestic violence. They also mentioned expanding our view of masculinity to include activities outside traditional masculine role, that some men may authentically desire. Like being a stay at home dad for 5 years. And helping boys/young men process these expectations of manhood in a therapeutic role and focusing more on their authentic desires. It may not be perfect, but it's the best we got for now.

Don't know where to start on this one. Prove to me that God is real. You cannot. You need faith. A sign of being mentally unwell is not accpeting that  one is mentally unwell. Apparently. Why can this "God" talk to someone and they suddenly have a mental illness. But if you talk to God, when you don't even know he exists, then your normal? Religion used to be a "mental illness". But the social conflict became too big for psychiatry so they dropped it. Just like that, the disease is gone. 

No, you don't need faith. God is a realization. The proof is right in front of you all the time. Life is God. you will see when you die.

As Leo has discussed, you can misinterpret God's messages or corrupt it for egoic reasons. Talking to God is not seen as a mental illness in the DSM.

Yes. Lack of consciousness, just like psychiatrists lack openmindedness. These behaviours are not diseases. They are reactions and adaptions to the environment. Emotions, thoughts and perspectives. Using the reactions to experiences of someone and stigmatizing them is bullying. Not diagnosis. 

I don't know any psychiatrists, what you are saying about their open mindedness is probably true. The diagnoses are necessary for communication among mental health workers and the truth is there is a pattern that is outside the bell curve of human behaviors. I agree with reducing the stigma around mental health and a lot of people, especially this new generation are very aware of it.

II would help them, not by stigmatizing them and locking them up, but by talking to them and showing empathy. After all, they haven't commited a crime. Locking someone up is not likely to make them less suicidal. Obviously. I don't believe criminal activity is going to help someone overcome their difficulties. 

I agree with you 100%!! if that is what psychiatrist currently do then that's horrible, especially if they force pills on you. 

Edited by SgtPepper

On ‎11‎.‎03‎.‎2019 at 3:50 AM, SgtPepper said:

Good question. When the pattern of behavior becomes chronic and distressing. Why is abnormal brain functions not a disease? Why do you choose not to see it as abnormal when it does not fall in the bell curve? 

Abnormal brain function is a disease. That's why we have neurologists. They practise medicine, not politics. They don't vote brain cancer into existence. That's because they treat an actual disease. They don't try to socially controll an individual with one of the most toxic drugs we have. 

They are differences in the brain of a depressed person vs the average person. In addition, psychological disorders could very much have a physical cause like an imbalanced gut flora. Look at Dr. Natasha Campbell-Mcbride's work on http://www.gaps.me 

Every brain is different. But you don't just suddenly get a broken brain and now you aren't as happy as before. This is borderline comedy. There is no doubt that our mental health and environment goes hand in hand. If someone doesn't have friends they become sad. If someone lost their dog they get sad. If someone doesn't sleep enough they get tired. There is still not ONE test that proves someone has a chemical imbalance in their brain. That's why you shouldn't poison them. 

Why is that exercise, yoga, and going outside in the sun improves people's overall wellbeing, if there is not some sort of connection between physical reality and mental reality?

Nice strawman. 

Schizophrenia has a genetic code. Here is a picture of two brain scans that come from twins. 

$.jpeg

Yes. The twin on the left didn't take a psychiatric drug. The twin on the right did and is now unhealthy. And you use this as proof for these "mental illnesses". 

I got that cousin example from a story someone told me about their family member, their cousin started accusing people of talking about her at their wedding, when that was not true. 

So because the cousin believes something you judge as wrong they have a mental disorder? Did you test for that by doing a brain scan? Or did you just stigmatize them in front of their family?

They didn't say it was a mental illness? they said traditional masculine behavior leads to unhealthy behavior and in an extreme case, it absolutely can. like domestic violence. They also mentioned expanding our view of masculinity to include activities outside traditional masculine role, that some men may authentically desire. Like being a stay at home dad for 5 years. And helping boys/young men process these expectations of manhood in a therapeutic role and focusing more on their authentic desires. It may not be perfect, but it's the best we got for now.

https://newspunch.com/american-psychological-association-masculinity-mental-disorder/

Now they are going to bully boys into conforming to standards. I consider this child abuse. 

As Leo has discussed, you can misinterpret God's messages or corrupt it for egoic reasons. Talking to God is not seen as a mental illness in the DSM.

Yes. For what reason? It used to be. It's pretty irrational to talk to someone you don't even know exist. You just need to "believe" he exist. I guess the cult of religion has more power than the cult of psychiatry. 

The diagnoses are necessary for communication among mental health workers and the truth is there is a pattern that is outside the bell curve of human behaviors.

Yes it's pretty abnormal to lock innocent people up and poison them. Should we call that toxic psychiatist syndrome? I vote yes. Of course you don't need a diagnosis to talk to people. I talk to my friends all the time. Not one of them has yet given me a diagnosis. Pretty sure drug companies and psychiatry needs diagnosis to earn more money. 

I believeI agree with reducing the stigma around mental health and a lot of people, especially this new generation are very aware of it.

Very smart. You haven't just stigmatized a small group of people to control them in psychiatric wards. You also stigmatize those who doesn't agree with the practise. As "people who hold stigma against mentally ill people". 

I agree with you 100%!! if that is what psychiatrist currently do then that's horrible, especially if they force pills on you. 

I see what you did there. Im just going to assume you know what im talking about. To anyone else reading this you should look at this.

On 3/12/2019 at 6:25 AM, Andreas said:

good video.

I do not support any of that nor have I ever planned to work in a psych ward because I want people to voluntarily want my help. think psych wards should be much more humane and rely on yoga, art, sharing, and compassion as a way to build self empowerment.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on whether mental illness is a thing or not. It's a mental imbalance that is related to the brain. I don't care what that psychiatrist says, I've experienced myself mental imbalances and gained balance with Cognitive-behavioral therapy, minimal antidepressants (When I felt really down during college semesters), used mushrooms (a medicine), exercise, and meditation to improve balance. All improved my overall well-being and positive impacted other aspects of my life. Self-actualization.

A chemical imbalance in a Depression case is just decreased serotonin compared to the average healthy person. It's obviously much more than that, but it is one way to observe patterns.

Brain activity has a huge impact on a person, there's plenty of evidence for this. for example, if you have an underdeveloped frontal lobe, you are more likely to be impulsive with your decisions and other aspects of your life that require self-regulation. 

12 hours ago, SgtPepper said:

good video.

I do not support any of that nor have I ever planned to work in a psych ward because I want people to voluntarily want my help. think psych wards should be much more humane and rely on yoga, art, sharing, and compassion as a way to build self Empowerment.

That's good. I was trapped in a ward for 9 months.  I consider all psychiatrists who resort to breaking 17 out of someones 30 human rights to attempt to force them to get a better mental health criminals. Stigmatization is used for control.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on whether mental illness is a thing or not. It's a mental imbalance that is related to the brain. I don't care what that psychiatrist says, 

Then prove it? Where is the chemical test for that? If it actually was a chemical disease you would talk to a neurologist.

I've experienced myself mental imbalances and gained balance with Cognitive-behavioral therapy, minimal antidepressants (When I felt really down during college semesters), used mushrooms (a medicine), exercise, and meditation to improve balance. All improved my overall well-being and positive impacted other aspects of my life. Self-actualization.

Then that's good for you. If im sad all i need to do is drink alcohol and I can feel better. It doesn't mean I have a chemical imbalance of alchohol in my brain. If you play videogames you release dopamine in the brain and feel good, it doesn't mean you have a chemical imbalance of dopamine if you don't feel good. 

A chemical imbalance in a Depression case is just decreased serotonin compared to the average healthy person. It's obviously much more than that, but it is one way to observe patterns.

A problem in living, not a problem in the brain. If depressed people work less, it doesn't mean that not working causes depression. 

Brain activity has a huge impact on a person, there's plenty of evidence for this. for example, if you have an underdeveloped frontal lobe, you are more likely to be impulsive with your decisions and other aspects of your life that require self-regulation. 

You are describing neurology. Just like if someone has downs syndrom. You would make a diagnosis out of someones brainscan. Or a genetic test. Or any other objective test. You wouldn't work backwards and try to scan for something "wrong" if someone doesn't like to sit in a classroom for too long. There is a difference between the brain of great musicians and average people. You don't determine someone to be a great musician from a brainscan. Nobody even thinks of that. 

Edited by Andreas