Cocolove

Jobs with psychology

33 posts in this topic

What jobs are related to psychology? I've been thinking about going to college for psychology because I did good on the ACT and I think I have enough money for college. The ones that come up when you google it don't sound fun, but I'm really passionate about it and love learning and applying psychology in my own life and in understanding the world. Get a Ph.D and be an entrepreneur of some sort? any ideas?

I also want to become a monk for maybe a decade but then I would be in poor standing as far as actualization. I'm meditating about 2 hours a day and wish I could do more and be less distracted with high school. Like leo talked about in the god video and the question 'Am i too young to pursue god'. He said young people need to find out how to thrive in the world and I agree with that.

@Cocolove The psychology related to personal development and the type of psychology you would be doing at university are much different.

Pretty much everyone in my Research Methods Psychology class were disconnected from Being, and this really turned me off from psychology (at least, in the traditional sense.) 

I would say take the LP course and figure out what specifically you could make a career around, and go for that. It would be wise to figure that out sooner, so there is no time spent jumping hoops in classes that aren't applicable to what you're passionate about. 

I forgot to mention Sofia university and its trans personal psychology class looks amazing. that's the type of stuff I'm interested in.

One thing I've got from the Life purpose course is: Connecting the fields of psychology and maps of awakening & meditation in order to help people awaken more effectively, since their psychology does play a role in it. e.g. someone might turn to spirituality because they have a need to feel superior to others and it could make them toxic in their efforts and waste time or maybe take for example the therevada buddhist stages of insight and dark night of the soul stages(knowledges of suffering), and study and use what's going on and how it effects people. 

Also good point that psychology as a general field probably isn't what I'm looking for.

I'm in the psych field. you can easily google some of this stuff.

https://www.verywellmind.com/the-9-highest-paying-psychology-careers-2794940

You gotta ask yourself what you want to do to serve the world.

Do you want to help people? research psychology? learn & create models about psychological functions?

Going to school for psychology you take classes that covers emotions, "mental disorders", behavior, cognitive functions, neuroscience, memory, psychology in social situations and other distinct topics that you won't see in a 101 or 102 course. 

Everything is expressed through models, concepts, theories, and scientific research. you can apply these psychological concepts to various situations, just gotta find a job that wants that kind of perspective. 

Edited by SgtPepper

I've already read that article :) I will continue to research through

@SgtPepper what exactly do you do?

Become a psychiatrist or psychologist and inform yourself about psychiatry. Then critizise psychiatric drugs and forced psychiatry to death. It needs to be done and it's an awsome life purpose. Here is an example: 

4 hours ago, Cocolove said:

I've already read that article :) I will continue to research through

@SgtPepper what exactly do you do?

I'm still a young clinician, I just got out of a master's program At the moment I'm a behavioral assistant and I travel around helping children with various diagnosis like autism, anxiety, anger management, and life skills. My approach is mindfulness and getting awareness behind our feelings and actions, critically thinking about choices and behavior. Sometimes it may just be helping the parents coming up with appropriate boundaries and plans for their kids. I also work on worksheets with the kids to help them define their issues and help bring more awareness behind it.

I also work once a week at facility that provides group therapy to children and focuses on improving social skills.

It's a pretty sweet gig for now, I see myself teaching in an academic setting and going for a Ph.D in clinical psychology, possibly investing time to researching psychedelics and meditation while focusing on clinical work.

I wouldn't go into psychology for the pay though. It's definitely an arduous journey and doctoral level clinicians are the ones that make big bucks. You don't just get a BA in psychology and make good money quickly. You need at least a master's to reach that 50k level of earnings. Ph.D/Psy.D clinical psychologists can earn up to 70k-150k (maybe more?) depending on marketing and having your own private practice.

50 minutes ago, Andreas said:

Become a psychiatrist or psychologist and inform yourself about psychiatry. Then critizise psychiatric drugs and forced psychiatry to death. It needs to be done and it's an awsome life purpose. Here is an example: 

I agree with his general statement. But it's also a lot more complex than that, the reason why ADHD is considered a "problem" is because those kids do not fit in school's standards and quite frankly they preform worse in terms of testing than non-ADHD students. In addition, we have neuroscience evidence that children with ADHD have different brains compared to non-ADHD group. 

Whether you want to label ADHD a Disease is subjective, but so is physical diseases since all is God and death is not real from an absolute perspective.

And I've worked with ADHD kids, it's real. I've seen non-ADHD kids and ADHD kids and I can spot the difference, and its not because their energetic. My hypothesis is that it is environmental problem, kids today are just not stimulated and trained to become focused. They are actually encouraged to become easily distracted. 

1 hour ago, SgtPepper said:

I agree with his general statement. But it's also a lot more complex than that, the reason why ADHD is considered a "problem" is because those kids do not fit in school's standards and quite frankly they preform worse in terms of testing than non-ADHD students. In addition, we have neuroscience evidence that children with ADHD have different brains compared to non-ADHD group. 

Whether you want to label ADHD a Disease is subjective, but so is physical diseases since all is God and death is not real from an absolute perspective.

And I've worked with ADHD kids, it's real. I've seen non-ADHD kids and ADHD kids and I can spot the difference, and its not because their energetic. My hypothesis is that it is environmental problem, kids today are just not stimulated and trained to become focused. They are actually encouraged to become easily distracted. 

And how do you "spot" ADHD? What tests do you do? It's pure subjectivity and stigmatization. Whenever I walk my dog he always runs at cats and birds instead of walking on the road. Does that mean he has ADHD too? No. Dogs do that. Kids are not supposed to be inside a classroom for 6 hours a day. That doesn't mean they are "sick". And it definitly doesn't give you the right to poison them.

A physical disease is not based upon a social conflict and refers to something a person has. Mental illness refers to something a person does. That is not science and not medicine.

Edited by Andreas

18 hours ago, Andreas said:

And how do you "spot" ADHD? What tests do you do? It's pure subjectivity and stigmatization. Whenever I walk my dog he always runs at cats and birds instead of walking on the road. Does that mean he has ADHD too? No. Dogs do that. Kids are not supposed to be inside a classroom for 6 hours a day. That doesn't mean they are "sick". And it definitly doesn't give you the right to poison them.

A physical disease is not based upon a social conflict and refers to something a person has. Mental illness refers to something a person does. That is not science and not medicine.

I mostly agree with you and I said it was subjective. I think you're dog is irrelevant. We're talking about children in america who's parents want them to improve their behavior and do well in school to make something of themselves, get along with others. Children who display signs of "ADHD" have a difficult time doing so, it's well-documented from observational studies. 

and how do you spot it?  "It is characterized by difficulty paying attention, excessive activity, or difficulty controlling behavior which is not appropriate for a person's age." you can read more about it on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attention_deficit_hyperactivity_disorder or the DSM-V. 

Kids are not supposed to be inside a classroom for 6 hours a day. That doesn't mean they are "sick". And it definitly doesn't give you the right to poison them.

Kids have been stuck in classrooms for 6 hours a day for years. The kids who have ADHD stand out and thats why it's considered abnormal. Sensitive therapists will not call an ADHD kid sick, they are able to grasp that the world is a complex place, and the thing we focus on is helping ADHD children improve on the challenges they face which is self-control. we're talking about kids who can't sit still in their seats for a few minutes, sometimes just sitting for 1 minute can be difficult for them depending on the severity. I've seen it. 

What is interesting is that ADHD kids can play video games all day xD

I don't necessarily disagree or agree with the current treatment methods of ADHD, but that's what people created, and it is effective. 

I disagree with your last sentence. A person can have mental illness or be chronically mental distressed, and some patterns can be displayed through brain scans. Schizophrenia can be diagnosed from brain scans for example. I also think he's a bit outdated if he's talking about just behaviorism. Sometimes psychologists don't just diagnose people based on behavior and its based on what people subjectively report through tests or clinical interviewing. 

How is neuroscience, behaviorism, and some of the most famous psychology experiments not science? the CIA certainly thinks it is. Honestly, I just get this feeling you have a bone to pick with psychology lol. People have patterns and people can study these patterns, come up with hypotheses about them, and then test it, boom, science. Granted, psychology will always be a unique field since people is a hard thing to study.

Maybe you think all psychologists go around thinking people have diseases when it's not the case, thats how psychiatrists think cause thats what they teach up in medical school. Psychologists training is more nuanced and some have a wholesome and compassionate way of looking at individuals. 

Edited by SgtPepper

4 hours ago, SgtPepper said:

I mostly agree with you and I said it was subjective. I think you're dog is irrelevant. We're talking about children in america who's parents want them to improve their behavior and do well in school to make something of themselves, get along with others. Children who display signs of "ADHD" have a difficult time doing so, it's well-documented from observational studies. 

and how do you spot it?  "It is characterized by difficulty paying attention, excessive activity, or difficulty controlling behavior which is not appropriate for a person's age." you can read more about it on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attention_deficit_hyperactivity_disorder or the DSM-V. 

Kids have been stuck in classrooms for 6 hours a day for years. The kids who have ADHD stand out and thats why it's considered abnormal. Sensitive therapists will not call an ADHD kid sick, they are able to grasp that the world is a complex place, and the thing we focus on is helping ADHD children improve on the challenges they face which is self-control. we're talking about kids who can't sit still in their seats for a few minutes, sometimes just sitting for 1 minute can be difficult for them depending on the severity. I've seen it. 

What is interesting is that ADHD kids can play video games all day xD

I don't necessarily disagree or agree with the current treatment methods of ADHD, but that's what people created, and it is effective. 

I disagree with your last sentence. A person can have mental illness or be chronically mental distressed, and some patterns can be displayed through brain scans. Schizophrenia can be diagnosed from brain scans for example. I also think he's a bit outdated if he's talking about just behaviorism. Sometimes psychologists don't just diagnose people based on behavior and its based on what people subjectively report through tests or clinical interviewing. 

How is neuroscience, behaviorism, and some of the most famous psychology experiments not science? the CIA certainly thinks it is. Honestly, I just get this feeling you have a bone to pick with psychology lol. People have patterns and people can study these patterns, come up with hypotheses about them, and then test it, boom, science. Granted, psychology will always be a unique field since people is a hard thing to study.

Maybe you think all psychologists go around thinking people have diseases when it's not the case, thats how psychiatrists think cause thats what they teach up in medical school. Psychologists training is more nuanced and some have a wholesome and compassionate way of looking at individuals. 

Why don't they use brain scans when they diagnose then? The so-called disease is pure subjectivity. How come homophobia be a disease in the 1970s and now it's not? Because a psychiatric diagnosis is not based on something a person has, it's about what a person does. It's political. You cannot vote a real disease into existence. Social conflict has nothing to do with developing a real disease. 

My dog would absolutely be relevant. Dogs are not supposed to focus for long periods of time. Humans are not supposed to focus for hours like that. You train up to it. If I don't let my dog walk he goes crazy. Should I drug him with poison to help him? No. Stop making assumptions about me. It takes thousands of years before the brain adapts to a new environment like that. Children have not been in a classroom for thousands of years. 

Brainscans can not diagnose schizophrenia. According to the National Institute of Mental Health, brain scans can identify medical conditions including:

• Brain diseases and infections
• Head injuries and brain damage
• Stroke

If I talk to "God", and follow his writings, im normal. If "God" talks to me, and gives direct instructions on how to speak and behave, im having a mental illness. How come? 

A professor of psychiatry tells us that giving a child a psychiatric drugs is poisoning, not treatment. How come? 

A professor of psychology tells us that a psychiatric diagnosis is about power. How come? 

Emotions, thoughts and perspectives are not, and will never be, a disease.

@Andreas Wow hahahaahaaha I was thinking about this!!!!!! My path led me to see the enormous suffering people go through because of today's psychiatry, fucked up lives.

How could we actually pull this off? I'm studying psychology atm.

Were you abused by psychiatrists?

34 minutes ago, Manjushri said:

@Andreas Wow hahahaahaaha I was thinking about this!!!!!! My path led me to see the enormous suffering people go through because of today's psychiatry, fucked up lives.

How could we actually pull this off? I'm studying psychology atm.

Were you abused by psychiatrists?

Yes. I think the correct term that the UN uses is torture. Psychiatry is probably the biggest cult in history.

1 hour ago, Cocolove said:

yea fuck psychiatry lol

Trying to force someone to get a better mental health is one of the purest forms of madness in modern society, and it needs to be stopped by someone. Psychiatry creates disease and destroys health. This has a major effect on our society. Combating this would be a great life purpose. 

hey yall I've done a bunch and I mean a bunch of research and I think I want to be a psychoanalytical therapist. The theory gets me so fired up. My friends who are in AP Psychology talk to me about what they are learning(you can't take the class until I'm a senior, next year for me), and I feel so passionate about it, like I get filled with so much energy I can barely handle it and want to sprint outside. I'm suprised the LP course is pointing me towards a normal job, although I would start my own practice and be able to spend at least half of my time on retreats, so it wouldn't exactly be wage slavery.

Here's a good link for basic info, I'd get a Ph.D in some sort of psychology, e.g. transpersonal, clinical

https://careersinpsychology.org/psychoanalysis/

I would be able to help people, and after having some experience I would be able to do work integrating my mastery of the field with spirituality. 

Edited by Cocolove

@Cocolove Whatever you do, make sure its an accredited program/college.

@Andreas

I watched the video. I disagree.

According to wiki -  "In humans, disease is often used more broadly to refer to any condition that causes pain, dysfunctiondistresssocial problems, or death to the person afflicted, or similar problems for those in contact with the person.

This contradicts everything you're saying. And schizophrenia in the United States does cause a lot of social problems and distress in society, a family, and an individual. You can even see this today as many homeless people have schizophrenia. They don't diagnose it with a scan because its expensive and unnecessary. Schizophrenia was already known before scans, and it can spotted because schizophrenia has a behavioral pattern as well as distinct brain differences compared to average brain. Addiction causes a lot of dysfunction and self-destructive behavior.

I understand that calling it a disease or condition or brain abnormality is subjective, but the so called set of symptoms that schizophrenia is pointing to has a real pattern in behavior and distinct brain make up. I'm not saying we need to call it a disease, but it certainly IS something. 

The psychiatry treatment in 50s was abhorrent. Forcing non-violent people to take neuropsychiatry drugs is fucked too. 

but you're throwing the baby out with the bath water. Suggesting there is no such thing as mental distress or dysfunction. All emotions, feelings, behaviors even if they are significantly excessive for the average person is okay, even if it causes distress for the individual and the people around them.

The labels are just a collective of signs or symptoms, but it's not black and white, everyone is unique and expresses their our version of everything. 

Psychology and psychiatry are still new fields too, it just needs time to develop into higher standards with more compassion, better approaches, and better medicine too.

The main reason why I studied psychology was because I prefer a non-drug treatment method, but psychedelics will revolutionize psychiatry/psychology treatment. Maybe we will develop technologies that will help train those brain areas that develop desirable behaviors like self-control. 

8 hours ago, SgtPepper said:

@Cocolove Whatever you do, make sure its an accredited program/college.

@Andreas

I watched the video. I disagree.

According to wiki -  "In humans, disease is often used more broadly to refer to any condition that causes pain, dysfunctiondistresssocial problems, or death to the person afflicted, or similar problems for those in contact with the person.

This contradicts everything you're saying. And schizophrenia in the United States does cause a lot of social problems and distress in society, a family, and an individual. You can even see this today as many homeless people have schizophrenia. They don't diagnose it with a scan because its expensive and unnecessary. Schizophrenia was already known before scans, and it can spotted because schizophrenia has a behavioral pattern as well as distinct brain differences compared to average brain. Addiction causes a lot of dysfunction and self-destructive behavior.

I understand that calling it a disease or condition or brain abnormality is subjective, but the so called set of symptoms that schizophrenia is pointing to has a real pattern in behavior and distinct brain make up. I'm not saying we need to call it a disease, but it certainly IS something. 

The psychiatry treatment in 50s was abhorrent. Forcing non-violent people to take neuropsychiatry drugs is fucked too. 

but you're throwing the baby out with the bath water. Suggesting there is no such thing as mental distress or dysfunction. All emotions, feelings, behaviors even if they are significantly excessive for the average person is okay, even if it causes distress for the individual and the people around them.

The labels are just a collective of signs or symptoms, but it's not black and white, everyone is unique and expresses their our version of everything. 

Psychology and psychiatry are still new fields too, it just needs time to develop into higher standards with more compassion, better approaches, and better medicine too.

The main reason why I studied psychology was because I prefer a non-drug treatment method, but psychedelics will revolutionize psychiatry/psychology treatment. Maybe we will develop technologies that will help train those brain areas that develop desirable behaviors like self-control. 

By that definition everything is a disease. Smoking is a disease, procrastinating would be a disease. Choosing bad friends would be a disease. That's irrational. A "condition" is not something a person does. It is soomething a person HAS, that's a disease. Major difference. Wouldn't homosexuality be a disease because of social problems? It was. Not it's not. The "disease" has suddenly disapeared and is no longer harmful. At least in the US. If you go to Pakistan it's a disease. How come? Is Pakistan wrong? Are the leaders of Pakistan having a mental illness too? Wouldn't stigmatizing the leaders of Pakistan be possible to be counterstigmatized by Pakistan because it's a "dysfunction"? Where is the logic? 

Any mental illness is based upon social conflict. If I talk to god, and follow his writings im normal. If God talks to me, and gives direct instructions on how to speak and behave, im having a mental illness. That's irrational. A disease is not something a person does because something a person does cannot be categorized into a so-called "condition". It's an act, something a person does. It's free will. 

17 hours ago, Cocolove said:

hey yall I've done a bunch and I mean a bunch of research and I think I want to be a psychoanalytical therapist. The theory gets me so fired up. My friends who are in AP Psychology talk to me about what they are learning(you can't take the class until I'm a senior, next year for me), and I feel so passionate about it, like I get filled with so much energy I can barely handle it and want to sprint outside. I'm suprised the LP course is pointing me towards a normal job, although I would start my own practice and be able to spend at least half of my time on retreats, so it wouldn't exactly be wage slavery.

Here's a good link for basic info, I'd get a Ph.D in some sort of psychology, e.g. transpersonal, clinical

https://careersinpsychology.org/psychoanalysis/

I would be able to help people, and after having some experience I would be able to do work integrating my mastery of the field with spirituality. 

Hey there, I'm glad you're asking. I'm in the same boat at the moment.
I started my psychology studies last year and I'm not completely sure where I'm going. But psychoanalysis is also the thing that got me into here, combined with the amazing possibility to combine psychological therapy / consulting with meditation, mindfulness etc.

I also got a sense that I want to combine art with that as in being a painting/dancing/whatever therapist or just including this into the practice. 

Please be aware that it's a unique possibility to enroll in transpersonal psychology!! I am not able to do that. And in my Bachelor right now there isn't even a clinical part (because it's distance learning). So I would need to do a clinical master afterwards to work in this field. Not sure about this yet. Let's see. 

I'm sure you will find your way :) Good luck!

48 minutes ago, Shiva said:

Good point. Some of my roommates in college studied psychology. The thing is that psychology is a social science. So, it's an academic field. You'll be reading lots of papers, statistics, theories, reviewing literature and so on. The way it's taught in universities usually isn't very practical from my experience. If that's your thing, I'd say go for it, but it's probably not like the practical personal development type of psychology. So, just make sure you have the right expectations.

Yes, I can confirm this. And I am not an academic, not at all, so this stuff is not really speaking to me. But I found that it can still be helpful to explore this side of the "classical" psychology. Moreover, without the degree, there is not much of a chance to be working in the field of psychology. At least that's what I think right now, maybe that's a limiting belief.

Out of curiosity (because I very much think about continuing the psychology studies or putting my work into learning it myself): What would be the ways to help people the way a psychologist or psychiatrist would? Life Coach? I'm not sure if this is really the thing I want. 

For example: I would love to be in a counseling or even therapeutic position and integrating meditation, art, breathing techniques etc. into my work. I don't think you're "credited" enough, sometimes not even allowed, to use this. As in: Will I just rent a flat and market myself as... a "coach"? A "guy who helps you feel good"? I'm serious, maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way. Maybe that's EXACTLY what I should do. I just find myself in this thinking of - get a degree as a foundation and work from there.