Ampresus

Combining Spiral Dynamics with my geography class

10 posts in this topic

Hello everybody. Recently my geography teachers decided to assign another project to us. This time, we have to pair up in groups, teach about a subject and record the teaching. It can't be more than 15 min.

*NOTE* the topic has to be geography related, that is why I am posting this

I actually was in a group who was gonna talk about water. I insisted in having it about Spiral Dynamics, but those classmates didn't really know what it was or means so they took something simple. Since then I haven't really worked on the project during class. Today I decided to walk up to my teacher and say this:
''Miss, could I maybe work alone on a different topic? I really dislike the one I currently am 'working' on. I will admit that I am not even doing anything.''
''Why is that? What is your topic?''
''Water, I find it really boring miss. I thought about this topic called 'Spiral Dynamics', ever heard of it?''
''No.''
''OK I am just gonna give a short summary because it is a really broad topic: Basically you can put groups of people in certain categories to understand them better and see where they can evolve. Miss I know that I have short time, but I wouldn't mind working on this in the break. I really like this topic. Unlike water... it is really boring.''
''Only because I am interested in what this is.''

''Thank you so much miss :D''

I am in 9th grade in case you didn't know (I don't suppose you did). Now I am posting about this because I need help. My plan is as followed:
- I won't be talking about Turquoise or Coral, because I only have 15 min and they will say that I am talking mumbo jumbo (but I will about Beige, Purple and Red)
- I will rewatch stuff from Leo and read about it on spiraldynamicsintegral.nl
- I will use a lot of information from those 'example' topics on this forum
- I will ask help to you guys

What I need from you guys:
1. How can I combine geography with Spiral Dynamics the best way possible? What would be good topics to talk about? My current plan is to give examples of countries in certain colors (for example: US is still mostly Blue and hasn't integrated Orange yet)
2. Please give me any useful information about Spiral Dynamics. Anything is welcome. I ordered the book a long time ago, but can't read it because of an assignment for another subject. We need to read a fictional book for that subject ¬¬

Thanks in advance. Take care.

Your plan is good. Just talk about cognitive development in different countries or in different social groups. It is basically a demographic research and demographics as a field of study is directly related to geography

Edited by Hello from Russia

Spiral Dynamics is not a good model for explaining in 15 minutes. You're gonna feel very rushed and people will not really understand it in that short a time. It's likely to confuse them or misinform them.

For example, calling the USA Blue is far too simplistic and will lead to incorrect conclusions. Spiral Dynamics needs to be complex because it's describing very complex phenomena.

Perhaps choose a different topic.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Maybe don't talk about Spiral Dynamics per se, but rather explain things in a more simplistic way. Don't use the colors (Beige, Purple, Red, etc.). Explain that different places have people with different worldviews.

Examples:

• Africa is very tribal-oriented
  • Canada is very liberal
  • America is mixed brew (patriots, liberals, capitalists...)
  • [Some place] is very capitalistic
  • [Some other place] is a dictatorship
  • Etc.

That way you wouldn't have to go into the details.

@Leo Gura I don’t think my teacher will like that. Switching from topic for the second time? I don’t know... Perhaps I can just talk about Blue, Orange, Green and Yellow?

@Ampresus Do you care more about pleasing your teacher, or speaking truth with people?

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura  You see, all I care about right now is teaching the best I can about SD to my teacher/classmates in 15 min. If necessary, I will talk just about one colour. I don't mind if that is necessary,

5 hours ago, Ampresus said:

@Leo Gura  You see, all I care about right now is teaching the best I can about SD to my teacher/classmates in 15 min. If necessary, I will talk just about one colour. I don't mind if that is necessary,

But that may do more harm than good as you may be misinforming them and arming them with knowledge they may use for the wrong reasons. *Just a perspective :)

@Ampresus So water is a big deal and has a lot to do with advancement of culture but maybe you could do evolution adventure around the world?

You could put each country on an "evolution timeline" (I agree about not talking colors) that goes from 3rd world country to advanced/ very developed and talk about availability of water and what needs to evolve in order to increase access to water. 

If you really don't care about water, if I were you, I would focus on one specific area of evolution, ex:

race relations, transportation, political scene, education, healthcare, health/ wellness, women inequality etc.

to highlight in each region on the evolution time line (aka. Spiral)... You may even mention just barriers to evolution based on location.

It's cool that you're so into spiral dynamics in 9th grade!

Good luck.