yrneh

Movies to pair with Actualization topics thread

7 posts in this topic

I've been delving into videos and podcasts on here for about a month now. As you can relate, i have discovered many fascinating life changing things, some of it is Incredible really. The thing is, sometimes i overdose on self actualization and need something to cool me down a bit. I like movies but recently most movies just don't cut it, the subjects and nature of them bore me. I feel like i want to get lost in the fantasy of a fictional story but it to relate or subtly sing to the topics on actualized.org that i have been investigating. Was thinking this could be a thread to list some decent ones for everyone.

"To have a free mind is to be a universal heretic." - A.H. Almaas

"We have to bless the living crap out of everyone." - Matt Kahn

If you're looking for Self actualization "in action", you could start by watching biographies of great people. 

As for fictional stuff, there's The Shawshank Redemption, Forrest Gump and Good Will Hunting for starters

28 minutes ago, EternalForest said:

If you're looking for Self actualization "in action", you could start by watching biographies of great people. 

As for fictional stuff, there's The Shawshank Redemption, Forrest Gump and Good Will Hunting for starters

Yes, good ones. I would add Dances With Wolves and Little Big Man.

"To have a free mind is to be a universal heretic." - A.H. Almaas

"We have to bless the living crap out of everyone." - Matt Kahn

4 hours ago, yrneh said:

I feel like i want to get lost in the fantasy of a fictional story but it to relate or subtly sing to the topics on actualized.org that i have been investigating.

I highly recommend the show Avatar: the Last Airbender. I know what you're going to say, yes it's a "kid's show," but it's so much more than that! It's an animated fantasy epic that was inspired by and steeped in Eastern spiritual teachings. Here's a more in-depth review I made, I think it could be just what you're looking for:

As for actual movies: Blade Runner 2049, The Fountain, Interstellar, Cloud Atlas, Ex Machina, 2001 a space odyssey, the Holy Mountain, Jodorowski's Dune (Definitely watch this in anticipation for Dune in 2020!), and the Tree of Life. 

Edit: oh, The Truman Show, and Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind. 

Edited by TheAvatarState

"The greatest illusion of all is the illusion of separation." - Guru Pathik

Sent from my iEgo

@TheAvatarState Those are great enlightenment/spirituality films

Just for another "self-actualization" film though, try Rocky Balboa. This speech has always stuck with me in particular:

@yrneh soo I am bit obsessed with Adaptation as an example. 

If you like fantasy-- I feel like the main character in The Shape of Water evolves a lot in the movie.

Those are both interesting but kinda out there. I am always looking for a good balance of all the feels because I hate when movies are too sappy.

I agree & feel like most movies are boring without any real character evolution.