non_nothing

Stopped meditating after strict 2 years of 1 hour a day

12 posts in this topic

Hello actualizers,

I would like to give you an overall review and share my experience on meditating for everyday strictly about 1 hour. Maybe some of you would benefit from this. If you have any additional questions or things you curious about leave them in this thread.

I started doing meditations strictly back in 2017. Started with 25 minutes every day and a month later experimented with 1 hour, 1 and half hour and only half hour. Because of my legs getting numb and hurt easily, I found  my sweet spot around 45 minutes. So I stick with that number. The exact cause why I started meditations was simple, I had anxiety and depression issues. And I had panic attacks and anxiety attacks a few times before that. Those who wondering how intense my attacks was, once I remember waking up in the middle of the night for no reason. Even I had meditation on that day, after 20 minutes with intense panic and anxiety It made me cry for no simple reason . Meditations completely got rid of that. It worked like a magic tool for me. In parallel, I've developed a deeper understanding on almost all areas on life. It was like a secret wisdom, like a secret sight that had installed on me. Also started to get more interested about spirituality as-well, other religions and belief systems etc. self-inquiry and all kinds of other philosophic ideas, stoicism, red-pill strategy, men going their own way, self-improvement?, human psychology, self-actualizing (woot), mathematics, physics and all kinds. Meditating was my best friend. It was the most underrated (even how popular it is, yes it is underrated) most overlooked, fooled by its simplicity. It's drawbacks are pays long term, and needs steady commitment. We're living in a society where we want immediate results. But If you need numbers, here, I promise if you meditate for 3 weeks from now on everyday at least 20 minutes, you'll see its benefits in your life.

It's been 2 month since I've intentionally stopped meditating. I do not remember exactly why, but this crazy idea somehow popped in my mind to give it a try: Stop meditating for 3 weeks then continue on doing it again. Then I simply wanted to experiment with this. Instead of a life with full meditation habit, I wanted to see how it is on the other side. So I stopped meditating. First week was tough because meditation was a key to overcome anxiety and all depression for me, crazy thoughts running inside my mind etc. In that period, I only once felt that I had to meditate because I felt overwhelmed by anxiety and the mind so that 3 week period only got relapsed by once. 3 weeks passed and I started doing meditations all again. For the next three days, was smooth and going fine without missing a day. On forth day and ahead I stopped doing meditations completely, and it got into a snowball effect. It's been 2 month since I've intentionally stopped meditating

Now the best thing about this 2 years of meditation is it granted a permanent fix on me. It's been clearly one month of no meditation and I can say I am healed. I still preserve all the things I gained. No diminishment or whatsoever.

Though I want to do meditations again but It is completely a personal misbelief about me believing it hit a plateau on spiritual development. If you have any additional questions or things you curious about leave them in this thread. Stay good!

EDIT: I forgot to tell the best benefit. My everyday life became a meditation while not meditating. In simple terms: I almost feel like meditating every second even though I am not sitting lotus eyes closed.

EDIT2: I do meditations when I feel like to do it on occasions like weekends on near a shore or some sort in nature. I sometimes even plan my trips in weekdays and long for it. It is immensely powerful peaceful event to meditate in nature. I would totally recommend anyone to do this in their life once. Warning! You might get addicted to doing meditations in nature because of pure bliss and silent (if not birds are singing although which is the best part!)

Edited by non_nothing

11 minutes ago, Truth Addict said:

@non_nothing

I'm happy for your permanent relief.

Nice post, very inspiring!

Have you been practising self-inquiry with meditation?

Yes I did it a few times. But I found self-inquiry works better when contemplating on a paper for myself.

1 hour ago, non_nothing said:

EDIT2: I do meditations when I feel like to do it on occasions like weekends on near a shore or some sort in nature. I sometimes even plan my trips in weekdays and long for it. It is immensely powerful peaceful event to meditate in nature. I would totally recommend anyone to do this in their life once. Warning! You might get addicted to doing meditations in nature in pure bliss and silent (if not birds are singing which is the best part!)

Lol, I'm an addict.

Nature is just something else ?

8 minutes ago, non_nothing said:

Yes I did it a few times. But I found self-inquiry works better when contemplating on a paper for myself.

What questions do you use?

don't get it, why stopping ?
for me meditation is not about results
it's about creating bond with yourself,
and as far I know the self ain't going anywhere

1 minute ago, non_nothing said:

What technique\(s) did you do?

Okey you stopped meditation. What are you going to do now? Are you completly satisfied with life now?

Edited by Salvijus

Those you do not forgive you fear. 

Same-ish, I went from doing three hours formal daily for a while to about one hour formal, maybe less.  I'm very happy I did 3 hrs a day formal when necessary to get the results I wanted, but after meditating for a while, it seeped into the rest of my day enough where I feel like I'm meditating throughout it, especially listening to music.  That being said, some of the more subtle emotions and experiences may need the extra focus from formal practice, but I think there is a tipping point where one lays off the gas a bit

Comprehensive list of techniques: https://sites.google.com/site/psychospiritualtools/Home/meditation-practices

I appreciate criticism!  Be as critical/nitpicky as you like and don't hold your blows

I've been through phases where I thought I didn't need meditation.  But I realize now that meditation is the best practice, the best daily practice for communion with being because it shrinks the Ego-Mind down.  I've said that meditation and LSD both have the effect of shrinking the Ego-Mind down so that being and the practice of No Ego can be let in without so many blocks from the Ego.  The problem with not meditating is you can get stuck in Ego much easier, and you probably won't even fully realize that.  The Ego hides itself when there is no perspective on it from meditation or psychedelics or what have you.  That's why it's important to meditate every day.  It allows you to practice what I call No Ego, and to be sensitive to being.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

18 hours ago, Truth Addict said:

Lol, I'm an addict.

Nature is just something else ?

What questions do you use?

18 hours ago, Hello from Russia said:

What technique\(s) did you do?

It was always a different approach from me, the usual practice and most efficient one that I found was the following:

I ask the question: What am I, and I wait to catch anything raises upon and further ask questions to that sense.

For ex: What am I?

I wait, even I ask "What is this waiting sense?" sometimes, then follow upon.

"What is this awareness?" "Who sees this awareness"
The most important thing is to return the question "Who in the essence is the great watcher/seer of these everything happening" after a few questions 

18 hours ago, OmniYoga said:

don't get it, why stopping ?
for me meditation is not about results
it's about creating bond with yourself,
and as far I know the self ain't going anywhere

I guess It would be more appropriate to say I stopped doing it as an habit. I do meditations whenever I like it to do.

18 hours ago, Salvijus said:

Okey you stopped meditation. What are you going to do now? Are you completly satisfied with life now?

It is your expectations from meditation and life. I can't know what's your expectations from life to answer that "I'm fully satisfied with life". I wasn't expecting that so the only thing I expected really was get rid of anxiety and depression in which it significantly helped.

Regarding "What are you going to do now" I don't gett that question, if you mind elaborate on that a bit?

17 hours ago, Joseph Maynor said:

I've been through phases where I thought I didn't need meditation.  But I realize now that meditation is the best practice, the best daily practice for communion with being because it shrinks the Ego-Mind down.  I've said that meditation and LSD both have the effect of shrinking the Ego-Mind down so that being and the practice of No Ego can be let in without so many blocks from the Ego.  The problem with not meditating is you can get stuck in Ego much easier, and you probably won't even fully realize that.  The Ego hides itself when there is no perspective on it from meditation or psychedelics or what have you.  That's why it's important to meditate every day.  It allows you to practice what I call No Ego, and to be sensitive to being.

The premise of Enlightenment is to get rid of Ego completely thus achieving a complete state of bliss and joy. But I found that Ego is much more powerful than you think. Ego is much more wide than the words have been spoken on meditation. Ego can attach itself to the meditation habit and make you unaware of it. It is an experience that everyone has to gain for themselves. I can't really tell you about that. My intention was to add a little bit of clue of what has happened to me. Rather than strictly pointing towards to facts. Because it is not the way of non-ego-mind. 

@non_nothing You´ll be back ;-)

I stopped meditating in the autumn for no reason. Just stopped it. After like 3-4 months I started again and im so happy I did. Guess I just needed some time away...I don´t know. Or maybe it was a ego backlash.