PetarKa

Skepticism & Solipsism Crisis - Help!

20 posts in this topic

Whenever I've had philosophical problems (I don't know what to call them exactly.), I've turned to this forum because most other people will look at me like a nutcase or just say "Get over it!" or something like that. Don't think that will solve this though...

After contemplating a lot of things deeply I've come to these conclusions/questions/problems:

1. How can I be certain of anything?
  2. I exist and no one else exists.

The first problem

How can I be certain of gravity? How can I be certain the cup of water exists? How can I be certain I am not in a simulation? How can I be certain I am not in some sort of Truman show (google it)? How can I be certain I can sleep? How can I be certain I live in a world where logic works and exists? How can I be certain I am in world where Nothingness exists? How can I be certain than ANYTHING exists?  How can I be certain that I can doubt stuff?

Now I am almost in constant anticipation of anything that might happen. I feel like I might lose it. Don't know what to do.

The second problem

I have started to deconstruct the notion of "other people". All that exists is my subjective experience. I intellectually know that even I "don't really exist". All that exists is "my subjective" experience. Nothing else.

This problem by itself isn't a problem. It feeds into the first problem. Being doubtful of almost everything, and having a hard time treating others as "others" makes it very difficult to actually reach out and talk with people or do anything with them. Even asking for help about this issue seems pointless in a sense.

The first problem I would relate with skepticism and the second problem I would relate with solipsism. Both are philosophical terms. Google them if you're not sure what they mean exactly.

I honestly feel like I might go nuts. I have an almost constant tingling sensation on my head (from stress/anxiety). I have a hard time going to sleep because of this. Sometimes I panic and don't know what to do. Plus I feel like I'm effectively stuck in a loop. Can't really get on with my life.

What can I do? Please help if you can.

P.S. I tried to keep this post concise. I could divulge and explain more if you didn't quite understand what my predicament is.

@PetarKa My responses may seem like I'm mocking you, but I assure you that I'm not.

1 hour ago, PetarKa said:

The first problem

How can I be certain of gravity? How can I be certain the cup of water exists? How can I be certain I am not in a simulation? How can I be certain I am not in some sort of Truman show (google it)? How can I be certain I can sleep? How can I be certain I live in a world where logic works and exists? How can I be certain I am in world where Nothingness exists? How can I be certain than ANYTHING exists?  How can I be certain that I can doubt stuff?

Now I am almost in constant anticipation of anything that might happen. I feel like I might lose it. Don't know what to do.

You can't be sure of anything and the truth is that you do not need to be intellectually certain of anything in order function.
Realizing the truth does not introduce anything new. Truth have always been this way and you simply weren't aware of it.
Now that you are, why the mental hiccups?

Alternatively - think of it this way: your lack of certainty does not stop you from doubting yourself.
Are you certain that it is appropriate to be uncertain about your epistemology? Does it stop you from doubting?
Maybe it is the case that you are not deliberately choosing to doubt based on your conscious knowledge?
Maybe you don't notice the underlying mechanics of what is happening?

This problem by itself isn't a problem. It feeds into the first problem. Being doubtful of almost everything, and having a hard time treating others as "others" makes it very difficult to actually reach out and talk with people or do anything with them. Even asking for help about this issue seems pointless in a sense.

I know this feeling. When I was in your shoes, I simply stopped asking questions until I sorted my stuff out by myself.
My advice is: talk to people to understand yourself instead of understanding them. They all are projections of your own psyche, right?

I honestly feel like I might go nuts. I have an almost constant tingling sensation on my head (from stress/anxiety). I have a hard time going to sleep because of this. Sometimes I panic and don't know what to do. Plus I feel like I'm effectively stuck in a loop.

We, egoic humans, always know how it all ends. We are all going to die sooner or later. We were born ignorant and stay ignorant. The only knowledge we accumulate is self-deception. The only certainty there is can be acquired by choosing to not question any further. The only people that are sane are the ones you do not know. We are all insane, some of us want to be as insane as everybody else, and some simply want to do it their own, individual way.

Can't really get on with my life.

Your life will get on with you. You are an insignificant speck of the giant machine you call 'my body'.
Have a good day!

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

@PetarKa You're making two big mistakes:

1) You are unwittingly assuming the validity of your skeptical stance, which itself is unknown. But you are taking it as known.

You are also not questioning the validity of your thoughts and emotional reactions. So what even if skepticism is true and reality is not real? Why would that be bad or a problem? Since problems and value-judgments would also ve unreal? Why are you taking your emotions seriously? Doubt your emotions more!

2) Solipsism is incorrect. Nonduality is like solipsism but also very different in important ways. It's not that other people are your subjective experience, it's that you are an illusion and therefore there is no such thing as subjective experience at all, there is only God or Being. Interaction with others continues as it always has because you are all people. What a person is simply gets recontextualized. A person is a hallucination in the mind of God, just like your person is.

Fundamentally your problem here is that your skepticism is not thorough enough. Ego has turned skepticism into a conceptual ideology, which is the opposite of enlightenment. The ego is not seriously undermining itself here. Your entire inquiry is coming from ego and assuming ego!

You'd be closer to Truth if you just dropped all ideas and sat there looking at your hand, not knowing anything.

Your inquiry is not properly grounded, it is too abstract and conceptual.

Stop knowing things!

Ground yourself in the actuality of the present moment. See my video: What Is Actuality?

What you can do is meditate or do Kriya yoga. Shut that mind off. It is only digging itself deeper.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura You know Leo, it's not like it's clear what you mean when you say:

3 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Stop knowing things!

Isn't that knowledge if I cling to it? Can I fake it until I make it? Or should I rather suffer for my ignorance mindfully until I get how stupid and misguided I am? 
You make it sound so simple that it makes me think that you're so far out there that you forgot how it's like to be us, miserable devils.

Edited by tsuki

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

@tsuki This was said in the very narrow context of this thread. If you are working on enlightenment then you must focus your inquiry on the present moment, not abstract philosophy.

Enlightenment is not-knowing.

You can only be certain of things from a human perspective. You never will be able to hear ultrasounds, see ultraviolet light or any phenomena out of the limited human perception, so the truth you'll find will always be subjective.

17 minutes ago, Moreira said:

phenomena out of the limited human perception, so the truth you'll find will always be subjective.

That is precisely incorrect.

What you call phenomena is actually Absolute Truth, not human perception, and it is not subjective. You think it subjective because you believe you are a human.

Without ego, subjectivity gets recontextualized into the Absolute.

There never was subjectivity! It was an illusion.

@Leo Gura non-knowledge?

One’s center is not one’s center, it is the center of the whole. 

And the ego-center is one’s center.

That is the only difference, but that is a vast difference.- 

8 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

That is precisely incorrect.

What you call phenomena is actually Absolute Truth, not human perception, and it is not subjective. You think it subjective because you believe you are a human.

Without ego, subjectivity gets recontextualized into the Absolute.

There never was subjectivity! It was an illusion.

Robert lanza: “If a tree falls in the forest, and nobody is there, does it make a sound?”

Now if a person is nearby, the air puffs cause the ear drum to vibrate, which then stimulates nerves only if the air is pulsing between 20 and 20,000 times a second , nerves stimulated by the moving eardrum send signals to the brain resulting in the cognition of a noise. Only then does human consciousness conjure the noise experience.

What is experiencing the absolute without nerve receptors, without brain, without the byproduct of the mind we know as the witness, the receptor of the sound or phenomena?

Its easy to take some psychedellic and get to the conclusion that this is truth. But, how is experiencing enlightenment without brains? Who is the perciever, the witness of the absolute nothingness and everythiness where there isnt a neuronal system that makes a composition,a image of whats being percieved?

@Leo Gura @tsuki Thank you for the advice.

I have thought about using psychedelics to help "jump-start" myself and get myself out of this mental trap.

I have asked a similar question on another post. Given my specific circumstance, is it a good idea for me to take psychedelics to help me resolve this issue? I am fearful I might lose it if I do, given that even without psychedelics I have the same fear.

This is a question to all.

Feedback is much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

2 hours ago, Moreira said:

Robert lanza: “If a tree falls in the forest, and nobody is there, does it make a sound?”

Now if a person is nearby, the air puffs cause the ear drum to vibrate, which then stimulates nerves only if the air is pulsing between 20 and 20,000 times a second , nerves stimulated by the moving eardrum send signals to the brain resulting in the cognition of a noise. Only then does human consciousness conjure the noise experience.

This is all conceptual delusion.

There is no such thing as human consciousness. That's a story the ego tells itself to maintain its power. Without such stories the ego would realize it doesn't exist.

It is literally unthinkable for you that humans are not real. Because you think you are one.

If you understood what I am saying you would die. So the mind will not let you understand it.

What is experiencing the absolute without nerve receptors, without brain, without the byproduct of the mind we know as the witness, the receptor of the sound or phenomena?

Its easy to take some psychedellic and get to the conclusion that this is truth. But, how is experiencing enlightenment without brains?

See my video What Is Perception?

Who is the perciever, the witness of the absolute nothingness and everythiness where there isnt a neuronal system that makes a composition,a image of whats being percieved?

Nothing!

23 minutes ago, PetarKa said:

@Leo Gura @tsuki Thank you for the advice.

I have thought about using psychedelics to help "jump-start" myself and get myself out of this mental trap.

That would do the trick.

18 hours ago, PetarKa said:

Whenever I've had philosophical problems (I don't know what to call them exactly.), I've turned to this forum because most other people will look at me like a nutcase or just say "Get over it!" or something like that. Don't think that will solve this though...

After contemplating a lot of things deeply I've come to these conclusions/questions/problems:

The first problem

The second problem

I have started to deconstruct the notion of "other people". All that exists is my subjective experience. I intellectually know that even I "don't really exist". All that exists is "my subjective" experience. Nothing else.

The first problem I would relate with skepticism and the second problem I would relate with solipsism. Both are philosophical terms. Google them if you're not sure what they mean exactly.

I honestly feel like I might go nuts. I have an almost constant tingling sensation on my head (from stress/anxiety). I have a hard time going to sleep because of this. Sometimes I panic and don't know what to do. Plus I feel like I'm effectively stuck in a loop. Can't really get on with my life.

P.S. I tried to keep this post concise. I could divulge and explain more if you didn't quite understand what my predicament is.

I made a video on this topic, since I've also gotten myself into this same trap...

If you’re interested in developing Emotional Mastery and feeling more comfortable in your own skin, click the link below to register for my FREE Emotional Mastery Webinar…

Emotionalmastery.org

@PetarKa

18 hours ago, PetarKa said:

You must ground yourself. Do some hard phisical work or better some gym excercises. Psychedelics will only worse situation.

35 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

This is all conceptual delusion.

There is no such thing as human consciousness. That's a story the ego tells itself to maintain its power. Without such stories the ego would realize it doesn't exist.

It is literally unthinkable for you that humans are not real. Because you think you are one.

If you understood what I am saying you would die. So the mind will not let you understand it.

Have you read Ludwik Fleck's 'Genesis and Development of a Scientific Fact?' I'm going through it now and keep getting reminded of the book you've said you're working on on epistemology, scientific thought (e.g. belief in sound waves, ear drums, etc), etc.

Fleck talks a lot about thinking as something not truly done by individuals, and only made possible by collective consciousness, the stories we've culturally / scientifically accepted, etc. It's been surprising and refreshing amidst grad school readings that rarely if ever relate to the type of content on actualized.

19 hours ago, PetarKa said:

The first problem

The second problem

I have had these troubles too, and you lack a realization that all your questioning isn't really questioning at all. With every question you ask, you simply construct new ideas, and you keep blindly believing them.

When you say "How can I be certain that I can doubt stuff?", you are not really asking anything. The process of doubt is not a concept, just as certainty is not. By forming any question or doubt whatsoever, you have already assumed something.

What is basically happening is that you are using a tool designed to inspect certain phenomena to inspect itself, which simply does not work, because as soon as you are inspecting it you have constructed something that is not it. Reason is not what you think it is, but you equate it to a thought that was created by reason.

By asking these questions you are constructing a new story, a complete delusion. When you think, "Oh my god, I can't trust anything I am thinking!", you are actually trusting that very thought. You have replaced your story with one that you like less, and that is why you are suffering.

You have to use the tool for what it was made for. You cannot deconstruct anything with thought, you can only reconstruct. Deconstruction happens with experience, which can be triggered by a thought, but not at all necessarily so. 

Instead of asking more questions, start observing what the words you use to establish the questions truly mean/truly are. You don't need to do anything but look to see how silly everything you have told yourself was.

Here is a hint: There is no answer to the question of "How do I know?", I simply know.

Edited by Scholar

Glory to Israel

8 hours ago, PetarKa said:

I am fearful I might lose it if I do, given that even without psychedelics I have the same fear.

@PetarKa I recently had my first trip on LSD and my advice is: please beware and respect the substance.
It had helped me tremendously, but it was one of the most difficult experiences of my life.

When it comes to losing it, the further I am on the path, the more I feel like I've lost it for good.
It's scary, but strangely reassuring at the same time. I don't know why.

I won't tell you to do it, or not to do it - your conscious decision is a part of the process.
Weigh the pros and cons, so that you resent, or admire yourself. Good luck.

@PetarKa

A thought of a banana is not a real banana. That's all you need to remember to solve your problems.

Stop believing the thought, and start looking for the actual banana.

Experience the banana, see how it looks like, how it feels like, how it smells like, and how it tastes like.

That will be Truth.

After contemplating and observing my thought patterns I find that my skepticism and doubt is VERY BIASED. I only considered possibilities which were threatening to me and somehow I clinged to them.

I would think: "What if I am being decieved this very instant into going on with my normal life in order for someone to hurt me or use me in some way?", "What if I am in a matrix-like simulation?", and other sinilar stories. But I wouldn't consider the opposite "positive" possibilities like: "What if I can achieve great things in my life?", "What if I am living in a beautiful world on a beautiful planet with beautiful people?" ?

I would also create this kind of mental loop where as soon as I would react to these "threatening" stories with more stories like: "What if I'm just deluding myself? What if I am not in a simulation at all? What if it doesn't even matter? What if I can simply live life like I want?", I would immediately react again with: "What if THAT is just another deception?! Oh shit. Here we go again..."

This condition is getting better though. I am able to be less fearful and calm when such thoughts arise. Going strong! ?