fewrocker

"This is the best time to be alive"

13 posts in this topic

We hear this phrase a lot nowadays. But thinking about it... I understand we have so much access to information now that there is more opportunity to be in touch with spiritual and other teachings & etc (even though there is also a lot of shallow information that can get you sucked in). But this phrase is really special, and I never saw it in history before. 

- Does this way of thinking occur in other times in history and other writings? Or is this really a special time to live in?

You're right, I see that all the time! I don't know if this was ever a thing in previous generations, but my guess would be at least not to this extent.

Technology has a lot to do with it. I think we're starting to appreciate how connected we are as a globe. Not just physically (planes, high speed trains, and other fast travel) but instant communication through phones. All readily available to most people. Go back 100 years (that's it!) and if you wanted to travel to China, you'd have to go by boat for weeks. Just think how radically different the world was a century ago, it's almost unfathomable. 

That being said, however, our mental and physical ailments have gotten worse. Depression and suicide are at an all time high, and show no signs of slowing down. As a species, we are as confused as ever on how to live life and what's important. We are as confused as ever on how to love.

So this air of "best time ever!" is certainly not based on a feeling of wellbeing. I think it has almost everything to do with convenience from technological advancement. And this can be a really scary thing, because it could be accelerating our own demise. It turns a blind eye to what we should be fixing. However, this attitude is positive, so I can't say it's overall a bad thing. I do see dangers in a public adoption of this attitude though. 

"The greatest illusion of all is the illusion of separation." - Guru Pathik

Sent from my iEgo

@fewrocker

It's really more of a subjective matter.

Do you feel thankful for what you have? Do you feel that you're gonna have a positive impression on humanity? Do you think that you have the ability to decrease human suffering?

I dont agree with the sentence. Access to information or access to excess if information? How can we identify true information vs fake news? You cant.

In other aspects I know our parents got a better life. Mine had to save only 6-7 years to buy a big house while we will need a lifetime to pay the mortgage. There wasnt overpoulation, no job crysis, no ratrace competitivity, everybody could have a good job, no moral crisis, respect to the elders and fathers.

Now is like a pre apocalypsis of degeneration. Bad things are spread in the net at the speed of light, and while spirituality and high consciousnesscan also be spread this is done in a way that promote selfishness spirituality.

@Bojan I am learning, and I know enough to know that society doesn't have a clue. 

"The greatest illusion of all is the illusion of separation." - Guru Pathik

Sent from my iEgo

There's many things I hate about modern society but I wouldn't want to go back in time. I would like to visit the past but not stay there.

Black is white. Down is up. Bad is good. -Eric Tarpall

We went through the internet revolution. It’s a turning point in history.

As with everyhing, it does has its dark side. But remember that we are going through a transitional phase.

So I believe many modern problems (smartphone addiction for example) will be solved over time.

I don’t think the future will be like in Wall-E...

We are all one spark, eyes full of wonder

“Take the lowest place, and you shall reach the highest.” 

“In the monastery of your heart, you have a temple where all Buddhas unite.” - Milarepa 

"It is the best of times for Thought Leaders. It is the worst of times for Public Intellectuals. It is the most confusing of times for those of us in the academy." - Daniel Drezner