korbes

Experience of nothing

17 posts in this topic

I am currently reading "Mastering the core teachings of The Buddha" by Daniel Ingram, and what a beautiful book! 

Only 40 pages in so far, but I feel like this is a golden nugget.

I decided to try one of the meditations in the book, just being aware of the impermanence of all sensory experiences like: emotions, feelings, thoughts etc.

And became somewhat aware of that there is no me, it was like, I couldn't really get to that radical point of no self, because my mind really tried to figure out what I was, if I wasn't the person I believe to be, my mind came up with all sorts of idea that maybe I am just movement, or energy, but that is still not a permanent thing, so I can't be that, so I tried to become aware of me being everything, just becoming reality ish, and I felt like I was somewhat getting there, but I couldn't really proceed from that point, it was like I could watch my persona from something else, my perspective was lifted and maybe my consciousness was raised a little, I am not really sure, this is a true noob trap I guess, but do you guys have any idea on things to be aware of when this happens? 

There is one thing that is really confusing me, let's say if I am infinite and that field of infinity, why should that be manifested from my POV, why do I see only this narrow part of infinity if I am infinity, I just visualize infinite as me being able to leave my body and almost be able to look everywhere in the world lol, like a god-mode kinda thing, but of course I am just misinterpreting this, but would be nice if someone could help me sort this out, or maybe I should just figure it out myself by delving deeper into my meditation and consciousness work, but would be nice to hear your thoughts on this! 

After this experience, only a few hours ago, I've been pretty balanced in my emotions I feel, like I can detach from my inner struggles, because I can in a minor way just detach myself from my ego. 

Also, if I am not my persona, my body, and I can't identify with anything, then I must be everything and nothing at the same time..?

I have this thought that when I am unconscious and just living my day-to-day life, and not paying attention to me or anything else, or let's say when I'm sleeping and not thinking, my mind is nowhere, so not attaching to anything, so in my sleep I am actually enlightened? I can reach this state when I am in meditation as well or being creative like drawing etc., where I have no sense of time or me, is it all about becoming aware and embodying this nothingness? But what should I embody this in haha? 

Maybe it's just my mind that can't accept that I am everything and nothing, it has to be something I feel, but this is kinda where the trap is right?

That was a lot of questions scattered all over the place sorry.

If you were me, you'd be sitting here typing this sentence with no sense of being you. Since to be me is to be fully me, not you.

What it means to be you is to not see through anyone else's eyes but your own.

If you were able to see through my eyes, you'd be me! Which is precisely what I am: you looking through my eyes! And you are me looking through your eyes.

Ta-da!

This is possible precisely because the perceiver (True Self) is nothing.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura

"If you were able to see through my eyes, you'd be me! Which is precisely what I am: you looking through my eyes! And you are me looking through your eyes" 

You mean that is the same substance that acts in everyone and everything? 

@ActualizedDavid The substance of reality is nothing. There can only be one nothing. And you are it.

The you-mind (the you created by the mind aka ego mind) is pure falsehood, illusion, imagination. You are Consciousness. You don't exist is not correct. You do exist, you are aware and conscious. But the ego-mind and person-mind is just a story, imagination. The Real is Consciousness, awareness. Only it IS, no need to put an ''I'' on it.

4 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

If you were able to see through my eyes, you'd be me! Which is precisely what I am: you looking through my eyes! And you are me looking through your eyes.

It's all "nothing" till someone wants to login into another's bank account. Then this "nothing" turns into something :D

2 hours ago, Haloman said:

It's all "nothing" till someone wants to login into another's bank account. Then this "nothing" turns into something :D

depends on how you define bank account and if bank account is just a concept - depends on what and where it’s saved what someone else is logging into. some nothings stay nothings precisely because they are nothings and some nothings turn into something precisely because they are nothing. and some somethings turn into nothing precisely because they are somethingxD

then you realize it never has been something.

Edited by now is forever

On 15.2.2019 at 8:53 AM, Leo Gura said:

If you were me, you'd be sitting here typing this sentence with no sense of being you. Since to be me is to be fully me, not you.

What it means to be you is to not see through anyone else's eyes but your own.

Ta-da!

This is possible precisely because the perceiver (True Self) is nothing.

Confusing, but I understand the essence of what you mean :)

So that perceiver / true self / nothing, is what both of us are, therefore, I am you and you are me. 

I just don't understand the meaning of bodies and physical life then, why isn't everything just non sentient, non physical, what is the idea, if everything is nothing, fuck this is mind wrenching.

> I just don't understand the meaning of bodies and physical life then

If you are nothing you want to create the illusion that you are something to understand that you are nothing. xD

What a dream, what a joke, love it   :x

7 hours ago, korbes said:

Confusing, but I understand the essence of what you mean :)

So that perceiver / true self / nothing, is what both of us are, therefore, I am you and you are me. 

I just don't understand the meaning of bodies and physical life then, why isn't everything just non sentient, non physical, what is the idea, if everything is nothing, fuck this is mind wrenching.

@korbes Actually everything is : non sentient and non physical. This is the same thing as saying that everything is sentient and physical.

To be something you need to become something.

Our confusion is born with language, I think that language and ego/mind are more than related, they may be the same thing.

If you look at animals like lions, you can see that they exhibit many forms of language, not only sound-language, but also body-language which constitutes a great portion of communication even in us humans.

When I look at a tree, I see no confusion in him, no fear, nothing to defend.

Language will always be misleading, no matter how hard we try, because it is duality itself. I find poetry to be a really good way language can be used to describe experience.

Language is the only thing we have, to communicate, but it may also be our greatest obstacle towards realization of the truth.

8 hours ago, korbes said:

Because reality is a giant mind. There is no possibility of stuff unless it is occurring inside a mind.

Here's the kicker: there actually is no difference between sentience/non-sentience, nonphysical/physical, conscious/unconscious, mental/non-mental. All of those are relative distinctions which collapse into one nameless unity. This unity is what is. It is pure Absolute Truth. Which is not different from something and nothing.

Reality is just one giant fat zero. Like it never even happened. Because there is no one to tell the difference between happening and non-happening. Another way to phrase it is... it seems to you that reality happened because you think it did.

11 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

There is no possibility of stuff unless it is occurring inside a mind.

The realization that there is no direct experience with an external world is quite mind blowing.

6 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Because reality is a giant mind. There is no possibility of stuff unless it is occurring inside a mind.

Here's the kicker: there actually is no difference between sentience/non-sentience, nonphysical/physical, conscious/unconscious, mental/non-mental. All of those are relative distinctions which collapse into one nameless unity. This unity is what is. It is pure Absolute Truth. Which is not different from something and nothing.

Reality is just one giant fat zero. Like it never even happened. Because there is no one to tell the difference between happening and non-happening. Another way to phrase it is... it seems to you that reality happened because you think it did.

Amazing reply, I just meditated on this while using the experience you had on a retreat some years ago from the video "My Enlightenment Experience - Exactly How It Happened" - Where you tell about that tree you look at, and kinda discovering that there is nothing behind this tree and actually there is nothing in front of this tree, while I did this with objects in my room, I kinda felt like it was 2 manifestations of nothing looking at each other in some sense, I think I got a glimpse of some sort of universal infinite presence, very very minor glimpse, I felt it, again another extremely minor / subtle feeling of no-self, while I was doing this.

I think I should train my concentration even more, so I can become better at sustaining these meditation sessions.

Is staring at an object for 5+ minutes pr. day maybe, without getting distracted by anything, just simply looking and focusing, a great way to strengthen concentration and focus?

Edited by korbes
words

10 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

So saying that we are everything and we are infinite is just a cruel trick to make the people happy and unafraid of death. The trick is reduce the self to nothingness, of course nothingness i absolute and infinite.

But if we are nothingness we arent "infinite consciousness living a human experience", no afterlife, or reincarnation, no quantum consciousness, not even return to the source.

You smashed my hopes to hang on :(

Edited by Moreira

13 hours ago, Moreira said:

But if we are nothingness we arent "infinite consciousness living a human experience", no afterlife, or reincarnation, no quantum consciousness, not even return to the source.

You smashed my hopes to hang on

Enough of your egoistical antics.

Nothingness is not what you think it is. Nothingness, consciousness, and infinity are identical.

@Leo Gura Hey Leo ! :) interesting...

I have made a similar post this evening as OP and would love to hear your thoughts on it. I'm quite lost and I found it interesting that OP has made a similar post as me even though it may be quite different as well.

My post is titled "Feeling that I am "Nothing" - Is that a valid feeling? (Reflecting on Spirituality)".

I would love to hear from you. 

P.S - I'm sure your time is precious and so I'm sorry in advance if I have bothered you and know you don't owe us anything at the end of the day! 

Edited by Shir

17 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Enough of your egoistical antics.

Nothingness is not what you think it is. Nothingness, consciousness, and infinity are identical.

Dont get mad at me, I'm just afraid of disappear.

Edited by Moreira