Bob Weir – rhythm guitar, lead vocals

Bill Kreutzmann – drums, percussion

Mickey Hart – drums, percussion

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two_from_the_Vault

IMG_3306.JPG

Edited by Joseph Maynor

THE EGO-MIND WANTS TO CLING TO THE BELIEF THAT IT HAS THE ONE RIGHT ANSWER 

Edited by Joseph Maynor

PHILOSOPHY IS AN INTERESTING THING BECAUSE THE PENDULUM OF THE EGO-MIND HAS TO SWING INTO IT AND THEN KIND OF BURN OUT OF IT — AND THIS INCLUDES A LOT MORE THAN PHILOSOPHY AS IT’S COMMONLY UNDERSTOOD — THIS INCLUDES A LOT OF WHAT FALLS UNDER THE HEADING OF “NEED TO KNOW”

It's important for me to frame this as a process, otherwise I run the risk of being dogmatic from my vantage point of now, as if that's the one right way to do things for the whole Path.  First of all, I'm one dude with my own experiences.  I wouldn't be arrogant enough to project my Path outward and say this is the one right Path for everyone.  Second of all, emphasizing the process aspect of the Path also keeps me from projecting how I see things now as the one right way of seeing things for everybody at any time.  I don't want to do that either.

At some point in my life I decided that conceptual knowing was the be all end all.  I think it was somewhere during my first year at UCLA that I became kind of a recluse in knowledge.  I would study Math books at the library (I was really into Math when I first came to UCLA).  I was also reading a lot of Science and Philosophy around that time too.  My life became devoted to solving intellectual problems.  But see -- I was doing that as a way to escape from reality.  Those intellectual questions were interesting, but only because I wasn't doing other things.  And actually those intellectual questions were given more importance by me because I was hiding out in them.  You don't take a child's baby blanket away without a fight.  

But something happened to me during the last couple of years where that intellectual interest I had just slowly started to peter out.  I started to just become very pragmatic as to my own life.  I think facing your own death can do this to you.  If you're gonna die a little while from now, do you really wanna spend the rest of your life lost in concepts?  Is that how you wanna live?  I did that for so long that I kinda figured out that's not the way I wanna live.  You only have a little bit of time left on this journey: is being lost in concepts how you wanna spend that time?  Now, I'm not dying, so I wanna reassure that, but I was facing a health crisis as to another member of my family.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

BE CAREFUL ABOUT PRE-MADE SALADS THAT YOU BUY OUT IN THE WORLD, THEY'RE LOADED WITH SALT -- LEMME TELL YOU HOW I MAKE MY SALAD -- THIS IS LIKE A RITUAL I GO THROUGH EVERY OTHER DAY

The 4 Elements of Making a Salad:

1. Washing the Veggies (Don't cut corners here because you don't want toxins in your food)

Soak all your veggies in water with white vinegar (get one of those big jugs of white vinegar for this purpose) added for several minutes and then clean them without damaging them.  Rinse out this water and then rinse some more.  Don't be too anal about this, but at the same time don't not be anal enough about this.  Even veggies that you will peel, still soak and clean them them.  Otherwise you'll just transfer the toxins from your hands into your salad anyway.  Clean all the dirt off your veggies.  I take my time and clean all my veggies well.  Some veggies you might have to cut in half before soaking to make it easier depending on the size of basin you have.  Don't use your sink, get one of those metal basins on Amazon.  They look like giant metal bowls.  Use that for soaking your veggies.  Your sink has a lot of germs, bacteria, and toxins in it.

2.  Veggies and Cutting

I won't cover cutting because you'll have to figure that out through trial and error.  The key principle is to cut things into bite sized pieces.  Don't have your lettuce too big.  That's annoying when the lettuce is getting all over the outside of your mouth when you eat it.  You shouldn't have to use a knife to eat a salad.

Make sure your cutting board is clean.  Put a clean towel under your cutting board so if veggies fall off when you're cutting they won't land on a dirty surface.

• Spinach
  • Romaine Lettuce
  • Crimini Mushrooms
  • Jalapenos
  • Shallot (dice this one up into small pieces)
  • Carrots
  • Broccoli
  • Celery
  • Red Cabbage
  • Fresh Basil (use a little bit of this to take your salad to the next level)

3.  Making the dressing

Mix the below into a coffee cup using a chopstick to stir:

-- Olive oil

-- Sesame Seed Oil

-- Crushed Garlic

-- Grated Fresh Ginger

-- Apple Cider Vinegar

-- Balsamic Vinegar

-- Spices:

1. Ground Thyme
  2. Granulated Garlic
  3. Cayanne Pepper
  4. Ground Rosemary
  5. Ground Mustard
  6. Ground Ginger
  7. Dried Basil
  8. Granulated Onion
  9. Ground Turmeric
  10. Dried Marjoram
  11. Chili Powder
  12. Smoked Paprika
  13. Paprika
  14. Ground Ancho 
  15. Ground Chipotle
  16. Dried Rubbed Sage
  17. Dried Oregano
  18. Curry Powder
  19. Ground Coriander
  20. Dried Dill Weed
  21. Ground White Pepper
  22. Ground Black Pepper (Use a Wooden Pepper Grinder)
  23. Himalayan Sea Salt

4.  Tossing

Pour the dressing on the Salad evenly.  Use two of those wooden salad spoons to toss the salad.  

Edited by Joseph Maynor

I CAN SEE NOW THAT ONE TRAP IN BEING IS A PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT OR ENLIGHTENMENT TEACHER THAT I WANT TO AVOID IS THE NEED TO BE SMARTER THAN EVERYBODY ELSE, THE NEED TO BE WISER THAN EVERYBODY ELSE -- I DON'T THINK THAT IS NECESSARY TO BE A TEACHER -- YOU DON'T NEED TO BE SMARTER OR WISER THAN EVERYBODY ELSE; IN FACT THAT WILL SET YOUR EGO-MIND ON A RUN THAT WILL BLOCK YOUR MODESTY AND BLOCK YOUR NEED TO LET GO OF THAT NEUROTIC, CONCEPTUAL MIND

Edited by Joseph Maynor

ONE OF THE THINGS I'M DOING NOW IS REVIEWING ALL 12 VOLUMES OF MY JOURNALS ON HERE VERY SLOWLY AND VERY CAREFULLY -- AND WHAT I WANT TO DO IS NOTE SOME THINGS THAT HAVE CHANGED AND SOME THINGS THAT HAVEN'T CHANGED IN THE APPROX. 2 YEARS I'VE BEEN WRITING JOURNAL POSTS ON HERE -- THIS IS A GREAT TIME FOR ME TO LOOK BACK AT ALL THE WORK I'VE DONE AND DO SOME BIG PICTURE ASSESSMENTS AS TO THAT WORK -- IT'S INTERESTING TO SEE HOW I'VE CHANGED AND HOW I'VE NOT CHANGED -- IT'S SO COOL THAT I HAVE A RECORD TO LOOK AT, WHICH IS WHY I WANTED TO DO THESE JOURNALS IN THE FIRST PLACE -- NOW I'M GONNA REALLY REAP THE BENEFIT OF ALL THAT WORK BECAUSE I HAVE SUCH A HUGE RECORD TO REVIEW

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Have you considered making a table of contents, or at least a mind-map of your works?
It would be very helpful.

BEING IS NOT SOMETHING THAT YOU HAVE TO TRY TO DO -- FOR EXAMPLE I USED TO THINK I NEEDED TO "STAY IN GOD AWARENESS" AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE -- NOW I REALIZE THAT WAS WRONG -- BEING HAS NO PRECONDITIONS -- IN OTHER WORDS, YOU DON'T NEED TO SUMMON, ELICIT, CAUSE, TEE-UP, OR PRE-CONCEPTUALIZE BEING -- WHAT'S HAPPENING THERE IS THE EGO-MIND IS DELUDING ITSELF INTO FRAMING BEING A CERTAIN WAY -- IT'S LIKE BEING STUCK IN THOUGHT; IT'S VERY SIMILAR TO THAT -- BEING IS NOT ABOUT FRAMING OR PRE-FRAMING IN ANY WAY -- IF YOU'RE FRAMING, THAT'S THE MIND, NOT BEING -- YOU CAN ALSO SEE FROM THAT QUOTED LANGUAGE THAT I WENT THROUGH A GOD PHASE MYSELF, THAT'S WHY ALTHOUGH I OFFER MY INSIGHTS FROM MY PERSPECTIVE NOW, THE PATH IS LONG AND I'VE BEEN AT THAT GOD STAGE BEFORE MYSELF -- ALL I KNOW IS I BROKE OUT OF THAT WHEN I TRANSCENDED THE EGO-MIND, ESPECIALLY THE MIND -- I USED TO BE VERY TOP-HEAVY AND CONCEPTUAL, AND STUCK IN THAT INTELLECTUAL MIND -- AND IT'S NOT LIKE I DELIBERATELY DECIDED TO STOP THAT, IT JUST HAPPENED, SORT OF LIKE A TEENAGER EXITING A PHASE -- ANOTHER GOOD EXAMPLE IS IT'S LIKE SUDDENLY DEVELOPING AN AVERSION TO A FOOD THAT YOU LIKED BEFORE -- A GOOD EXAMPLE OF THIS FOR ME IS IPA BEER -- WHEN IPA'S FIRST CAME OUT (CRAFT BEER REVOLUTION IN CALIFORNIA) I DRANK SO MANY AND REALLY LOVED THEM -- BUT NOW I DON'T EVEN LIKE IPAS BECAUSE SOMETHING SHIFTED IN ME ABOUT THEM -- NOW, I DRINK MOSTLY LAGERS -- SO THAT'S A GOOD EXAMPLE OF ONCE BEING INTO SOMETHING AND NOW YOU'RE NOT -- THE SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME WITH LIVING IN MY MIND AND IN MY HEAD, I JUST GOT OVER IT -- AND I THINK A LOT OF MY CONCEPT OF ENLIGHTENMENT IS FRAMED BY THAT TRANSFORMATION I DID FROM BEING REALLY STUCK IN MY MIND TO TRANSCENDING MY MIND -- THAT LEFT AN INDELIBLE MARK ON ME ABOUT WHAT ENLIGHTENMENT DOES TO A PERSON -- SO, WHEN I DON'T SEE THAT SAME EFFECT HAPPENING TO OTHER PEOPLE, IT MAKES ME WANNA TRY TO CORRECT THEM, FOR BETTER OR FOR WORSE -- BUT WE ALL DO THIS, ALTHOUGH MOST OF US DO NOT ADMIT TO IT -- BUT AT THE END OF THE DAY ALL I CAN DO IS TEACH, DEMONSTRATE, AND BE MY FLAVOR OF ENLIGHTENMENT WORK, WHICH IS ALWAYS CHANGING -- BUT I'M STARTING TO SEE AN ARC TO THE PATH WHERE WHAT'S HAPPENING AT THE BIG-PICTURE LEVEL IS I'M SLOWLY TRANSCENDING THE EGO-MIND -- THAT DOESN'T MEAN THAT I'M LEAVING THE EGO-MIND -- WHAT IT MEANS IS THAT I CAN SEE THROUGH THE EGO-MIND, AND BE AS A PRESSURE-RELEASE VALVE TO THE EGO-MIND -- I CAN SAY IT CRUDELY LIKE THIS: THE EGO-MIND HAD ME BY THE SHORT AND CURLIES BEFORE, AND NOW IT DOESN'T -- THAT'S BASICALLY WHAT ENLIGHTENMENT GIVES YOU -- AND I'M NOT TRYING TO SAY I'M FULLY ENLIGHTENED OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT, WHATEVER THAT MAY MEAN -- BUT I HAVE MADE SOME MEASURABLE PROGRESS ON THE PATH: A CHANGE IN PARTS OF MY CORE PERSONALITY -- ENLIGHTENMENT SHOULD BE BRINGING YOU CALM, PEACE, GROUNDEDNESS, COMPASSION, CHARITY, EMPATHY, HELPFULNESS, HUMILITY, RELEASE OF CONCEPTS, RELEASE IN GENERAL, ETC.  -- WHEN I SEE TRAITS LIKE THIS NATURALLY COME UP IN SOMEONE'S PERSONALITY, THAT'S HOW I KNOW THEY'RE MAKING PROGRESS ON THE PATH -- DON'T TRY TO FORCE THIS STUFF TO HAPPEN THOUGH, IT WILL HAPPEN AUTOMATICALLY ON THE PATH -- WHEN YOU BEGIN TO TRANSCEND THE EGO-MIND, THIS STUFF WILL NATURALLY HAPPEN -- DON'T TRY TO FAKE THESE QUALITIES, THAT'S NOT SUSTAINABLE, AND THAT'S JUST THE EGO-MIND CLINGING TO TRY TO AFFECT SOMETHING -- FAKING THIS STUFF WILL ONLY CREATE A SPIRITUAL EGO FOR YOU AND KEEP THAT EGO-MIND FRONT AND CENTER IN YOUR LIFE -- JUST KEEP WALKING THE PATH AND MAKE SURE YOU DON'T GET STUCK FOR TOO LONG AT THE VARIOUS PHASES ALONG THE WAY -- IT'S IMPORTANT THAT YOU LET YOUR VERY CORE INTUITION GUIDE YOU -- AND FIGURE ENLIGHTENMENT OUT FOR YOURSELF, STOP EXPECTING FOR SOMEONE TO TEACH IT TO YOU -- YOU DON'T KNOW IN ADVANCE WHAT ENLIGHTENMENT IS; THAT'S WHY WE WALK THE PATH -- YOU WALK THE PATH AND ONLY THROUGH THAT PROCESS WILL YOU FIND OUT FOR YOURSELF WHAT ENLIGHTENMENT IS -- THE WORST THING THAT CAN HAPPEN IS THE EGO-MIND STARTS CLINGING TO SOME CONCEPT OF ENLIGHTENMENT WHICH CAN BLOCK YOUR PATH -- THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR WALKING THE PATH -- THERE ARE NO SHORTCUTS TO ENLIGHTENMENT WORK -- EVERYDAY, JUST DO THE WORK AND LET THE PATH TELL YOU WHAT'S WHAT RATHER THAN CONCEPTS FROM SOME MIND -- BE LEERY OF ANY THEORY ABOUT ENLIGHTENMENT THAT DOESN'T COME OUTTA YOU -- YOU DO NEED TO BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER AND AN EXPLORER ON THE PATH, AND YOU NEED TO WEIGH EVERYTHING AGAINST YOUR OWN INTUITION, BECAUSE NO HEARSAY ANSWER IS EVER GONNA SUBSTITUTE FOR THAT: MORE THAN LIKELY IT WILL SET UP A BLOCK IN YOUR PATH 

Edited by Joseph Maynor

11 hours ago, tsuki said:

Have you considered making a table of contents, or at least a mind-map of your works?
It would be very helpful.

I'll consider this.  Thanks!

REGARDING MODERATION: I’VE FOUND THAT A LOT OF MY NO’S HAVE EVOLVED IN TO YES/NO’S — AND THIS ESPECIALLY APPLIES TO PERCEIVED VICES — WE DO WHAT WE DO BECAUSE THERE’S POSITIVES TO THEM — IF YOU GO YANKING AND TINKERING TOO MUCH WITH YOUR LIFE THIS CAN TURN INTO A BLOCK — SO, THIS IS A LEARNING MOMENT FOR  ME THAT I HAD BEFORE BUT THIS TIME I’M GONNA MAKE IT STICK AND MOVE BEYOND IT — I’VE WASTED TOO MUCH TIME IDEALIZING CHANGE — BUT DON’T THROW THE BABY OUT WITH THE BATHWATER REGARDING CHANGE — THE CHANGE YOU NEED IS OFTEN MORE SUBTLE AND NUANCED THAN YOUR MIND PREFERS TO FRAME IT AS  

Edited by Joseph Maynor

TRUTH VS. BEING: TRUTH IS PART OF THE FIRST PART OF THE ENLIGHTENMENT PATH, THE PART OF THE PATH WHERE YOU'RE GETTING YOUR EGO-MIND ON BOARD WITH PURSUING ENLIGHTENMENT -- BEING IS PART OF THE SECOND PART OF THE PATH, WHICH IS NOT ABOUT TRUTH -- THE EGO-MIND CANNOT WRAP IT'S CLINGING ARMS AROUND BEING, NOR DOES IT WANT TO ONCE BEING IS SEEN FOR WHAT IT IS -- SO THE UPSHOT IS, WHEN PEOPLE TALK ABOUT TRUTH AND METAPHYSICS, THEY'RE WORKING FROM THIS FIRST STAGE OF THE PATH -- HOLDING A CONCEPT OF BEING IN YOUR MIND CAN BLOCK BEING -- I SEE THIS IN PEOPLE WHO ARE CLINGING TO CONCEPTS ABOUT BEING -- THIS IS LIKE CLINGING TO THE CONCEPT OF EATING A MEAL VS. EATING A MEAL WITHOUT CLINGING TO ANY CONCEPTS ABOUT IT -- BEING IS A VERY SIMPLE THING IN THE SENSE THAT IT DOESN'T REALLY BENEFIT FROM CONCEPTUALIZATION -- DITTO FOR EATING YOUR DINNER, IT DOESN'T REALLY BENEFIT FROM CONCEPTUALIZATION 

Edited by Joseph Maynor

I THINK THERE'S A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF TRUTH THAT ENLIGHTENMENT TAKES YOU OUT OF THE MIND -- YOU TAKE A PERSON WHO'S STUCK IN THEIR MIND AT THE BEGINNING OF THE PATH, AND AT THE END OF THE PATH THEY'RE LIBERATED FROM THAT -- AND THEN YOU CAN GENERALIZE THIS EVEN MORE AS ENLIGHTENMENT TAKES YOU OUT OF THE EGO-MIND, NOT ENTIRELY OF COURSE, BUT ENOUGH TO GIVE YOU MUCH MORE PERSPECTIVE SO YOU'RE NOT BEING PULLED AROUND BY YOUR EAR ALL THE TIME BY THE EGO-MIND

Edited by Joseph Maynor

I FEEL LIKE I NEED TO INSTITUTE MY STAY AWAY FROM INTERNET NEWS WEBSITES BECAUSE READING THE NEWS IS MAKING ME UNHAPPY AGAIN -- FOR A LONG TIME I WASN'T EVEN READING OR PAYING ATTENTION TO THE NEWS AT ALL -- IT'S JUST ONE GIANT TOXIC MESS FROM THE RUTHLESS, DIVISIVE POLITICS TO THE GOSSIPY, TABLOIDAL INFOTAINMENT -- ALL OF IT IS A GIANT CESSPOOL AND WASTE OF LIFE AND TIME FOR ME -- AND THE LITTLE BIT OF BEING INFORMED DOESN'T DO ENOUGH FOR ME TO OUTWEIGH THOSE CONS -- I DON'T CARE THAT MUCH ABOUT BEING INFORMED -- I USED TO SAY, IF IT'S IMPORTANT ENOUGH, I'LL FIND OUT ABOUT IT ANYWAY; SOMEONE WILL TELL ME ABOUT IT 

Edited by Joseph Maynor

LIFE IS AS COMPLICATED AS YOU ALLOW IT TO BE -- YOU DON'T HAVE TO DO ANYTHING -- BETWEEN NOW AND WHEN YOU DIE, YOU CAN DO WHATEVER YOU WANT TO -- AND YOU CAN'T TAKE ANYTHING WITH YOU -- YOU BETTER ENJOY WHAT TIME YOU HAVE LEFT AND MAKE SURE YOU'RE HEALTHY -- HEALTH IS THE MOST VALUABLE THING YOU HAVE -- THERE'S NO REPORT DUE AT THE END OF YOUR LIFE -- IT'S PERFECTLY OK TO LIVE A MEDIOCRE, SMALL LIFE DOING WHAT YOU WANT TO DO -- WHOSE STANDARD ARE YOU MEASURING UP THIS ONE LIFE THAT IS YOURS BY ANYWAY? 

Edited by Joseph Maynor

I DO A SMOOTHIE BATCH EVERY OTHER DAY, SO LEMME EXPLAIN WHAT GOES IN MY SMOOTHIES

1. Washing the Fruits and Veggies (Don't cut corners here because you don't want toxins in your food)

Soak all your fruits and veggies in water with white vinegar (get one of those big jugs of white vinegar for this purpose) added for several minutes and then clean them without damaging them.  Rinse out this water and then rinse some more.  Don't be too anal about this, but at the same time don't not be anal enough about this.  Even fruits and veggies that you will peel, still soak and clean them them.  Otherwise you'll just transfer the toxins from your hands into your smoothie anyway.  Clean all the dirt off your fruits and veggies.  I take my time and clean all my fruits and veggies well.  Some veggies you might have to cut in half before soaking to make it easier depending on the size of basin you have.  Don't use your sink, get one of those metal basins on Amazon.  They look like giant metal bowls.  Use that for soaking your fruits and veggies.  Your sink has a lot of germs, bacteria, and toxins in it.

2.  Load up Your Blender (I use a Vitamix Pro 750 Blender)

• 1 tray of ice
  • Some non-fat, plain yogurt
  • Some coconut water
  • Some soy milk
  • Handful of spinach
  • Handful of kale
  • A couple of carrots
  • A couple of celery stalks
  • 1 Apple (I use Red Delicious)
  • 1 Orange (I use Navel Orange)
  • 1 Beet
  • 1 Avocado
  • 1 Ensure (These are drinks you can buy at Walgreens)
Edited by Joseph Maynor