Journal Vol. 1

Edited by Joseph Maynor

THIS IS SUCH A GREAT ALBUM

Jerry Garcia – lead guitar, lead vocals

Bob Weir – rhythm guitar, lead vocals

Phil Lesh – bass guitar, backup vocals

Bill Kreutzmann – drums

Ron "Pigpen" McKernan – organ, harmonica, lead vocals

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grateful_Dead_(album)

Album cover:

gd439866.jpg

Edited by Joseph Maynor

I'M TRYING TO COME UP WITH THE MAJOR AREAS WHERE PEOPLE WORK AND TRY TO DERIVE INCOME -- THESE ARE LIKE GENERAL CATEGORIES OF NEEDED SERVICES

1. Food
  2. Housing
  3. Government
  4. Mental Health
  5. Physical Health
  6. Property
  7. Entertainment
  8. Education
  9. Transportation
Edited by Joseph Maynor

THE TRAPS ON THE ENLIGHTENMENT PATH ARE NO JOKE -- JUST WHEN YOU THINK YOU'RE BEYOND TRAPS ON THE PATH, THINK AGAIN

There are lots of traps on the Path.  More traps than even very smart people see.  I'm not saying this to be arrogant, I'm saying it because I too have fallen into them and then later realized that that's the Path.  You're supposed to fall into traps and then come out of them wiser.  Stop thinking that you need to be perfect all the time.  That will only block your Path because you're continually evolving on the Path.  If you're trying to cling to your little perfect theory of reality like a madman, you're gonna block your Path.  Even if you think your theory is the Truth.  That can be particularly deceptive because now your Ego-Mind thinks it has the Truth.  And the sad thing about that is it will steer you away from Enlightenment even though your Ego-Mind thinks it is getting closer and closer to Enlightenment.

ONE OF THE TRAITS OF RELIGION IS THE EGO-MIND MAKING BEING AN AGENT FOR OR AGAINST ITSELF -- THIS IS A TRAP BECAUSE BEING IS JUST BEING, IT'S NOT FOR OR AGAINST ANYTHING -- FOR SOMETHING TO BE FOR OR AGAINST TO THE POINT WHERE IT CAN BE PUT INTO LANGUAGE IS IRRELEVANT TO BEING -- BEING HAS NO TRAITS, IT'S NOT A THING THAT HAS TRAITS OR PROPERTIES -- BUT YEAH, RELIGIOUS PEOPLE HAVE EGO-MINDS THAT HAVE FOUND SOLACE IN THINKING THAT BEING CAN BE FOR ME OR AGAINST ME -- IN OTHER WORDS, RELIGIOUS PEOPLE BELIEVE BEING CAN BE MORE OR LESS ON MY SIDE -- BEING CAN BE FOR ME -- BEING CAN HELP ME -- WHAT EGO-MIND WOULDN'T WANT THAT? -- THINK OF THE ACCEPTANCE THAT YOUR EGO-MIND HAS TO COME TO TO REALIZE THAT BEING HAS NO QUALITIES -- BEING ISN'T FOR ME -- THAT'S A SCARY THING TO THE EGO-MIND -- THE EGO-MIND HAS A NEED TO ENFORCE ITS PREFERENCES AND SURVIVAL INTERESTS ON REALITY -- ONE STRATEGY FOR DOING THAT IS TO DELUDE YOURSELF WITH A STORY THAT BEING CAN BE AN AGENT FOR YOU -- THAT THE UNIVERSE IS SOMEHOW LOOKING AFTER YOUR EGO-MIND -- GOD IS A COMFORT TO AN INSECURE EGO-MIND -- THE PROBLEM IS IT'S A METAPHYSICAL CREATION THAT'S A FANTASY AT BOTTOM -- THE EGO-MIND IS TRICKY IN HOW IT MEETS ITS NEEDS -- TO AVOID A TRAP YOU GOTTA FIRST BE ABLE TO SPOT THE TRAP; TO AVOID A MINE IN A MINEFIELD YOU FIRST GOTTA BE ABLE TO SPOT THE MINE

Edited by Joseph Maynor

WHERE DOES THE NEED TO BE BELIEVED COME FROM? -- WHY WOULD AN EGO-MIND THAT PREACHES TO OTHERS DEVELOP A NEED TO BE BELIEVED, TO BE CONCURRED WITH? -- IS THIS THE EGO-MIND OBJECTIFYING ITS OWN BELIEFS IN AN ATTEMPT TO SELF-CONFIRM THOSE BELIEFS TO ITSELF? -- THIS IS LIKE POUNDING IN YOUR OWN BELIEFS (LIKE A HAMMER POUNDING IN NAILS)

Edited by Joseph Maynor

JUST LIKE YOU TRANSCEND TRUTH ON THE PATH, YOU ALSO TRANSCEND SPIRITUALITY -- CLINGING TO TRUTH OR TO SPIRITUALITY IS A TRAP FOR ADVANCED ENLIGHTENMENT WORK -- THIS IS WHY I DON'T REFER TO MYSELF AS A SPIRITUAL TEACHER OR REALLY EVEN USE THE WORD "SPIRITUALITY" -- JUST LIKE TRUTH IS IRRELEVANT TO BEING, SO IS SPIRITUALITY -- TRUTH AND SPIRITUALITY AS THINGS THAT ARE CLUNG TO ARE FOR EGO-MINDS -- BEING IS NOT A CLINGING 

Edited by Joseph Maynor

IT WAS THROUGH DOING A LOT OF MEDITATION THAT I FINALLY FOUND OUT WHAT BEING IS -- SO DON'T POOH POOH MEDITATION ON THE PATH -- I STILL MEDITATE EVERY DAY -- PSYCHEDELICS ARE GREAT, BUT LIKE I SAID IT WAS THROUGH MEDITATION THAT I FINALLY FOUND OUT WHAT BEING IS -- I WENT THROUGH A PERIOD OF TIME WHERE I WAS DOING A LOT OF MEDITATION AND I DISCOVERED BEING -- I HAD THE AHA MOMENT -- BUT SEE THIS WAS DIFFERENT FROM ALL THE OTHER AHA MOMENTS IN THAT I REALIZED IMMEDIATELY THAT THE EARLIER AH HA MOMENTS WERE ALL FALSE -- I REALIZED THAT BEING IS NOT A METAPHYSICAL ANSWER FRAMED IN LANGUAGE OR SOME OTHER CONCEPT -- BEING IS JUST BEING -- THERE'S NO NEED TO GO INTO METAPHYSICS UNLESS IT'S PARTICULARLY USEFUL TO DO SO IN SOME SPECIFIC CONTEXT -- I AM NOT CLINGING TO NEED TO KNOW BEING ANYMORE -- MY INTERESTS HAVE SHIFTED FROM THE LOFTY PHILOSOPHICAL TO THE INCREDIBLY PRAGMATIC -- I HAVE ALL OF MY OWN PROBLEMS MAPPED OUT AND AM TAKING ACTION ON THOSE DAILY -- I DON'T BYPASS AS MUCH IN THEORY ANYMORE -- ALL MY PROBLEMS ARE ALREADY IDENTIFIED AND PROJECTS HAVE BEEN MADE CONCERNING THEM -- I FIND THAT BEING IS ALMOST THE OPPOSITE OF A HEAVILY CONCEPTUAL MIND -- IN FACT WHEN YOU'RE IN THAT CONCEPTUAL, GRASPING MIND, BEING SEEMS VERY FAR AWAY -- BEING COMES WHEN YOU SHUT ALL THAT SH*T OFF (ALL YOUR DISTRACTIONS) AND JUST LAY THERE FOR HOURS AND JUST DO NOTHING -- THEN BEING WILL REVEAL ITSELF TO YOU AND SOME HEALING CAN HAPPEN AS YOU UNCLENCH YOUR CLINGING TO THE EGO-MIND FOR A WHILE -- MEDITATE WITHOUT ADDED STIMULATION LIKE MUSIC -- DON'T F*CK WITH YOUR ENVIRONMENT WHEN YOU MEDITATE -- THE WHOLE POINT OF MEDITATION IS TO BE OK WITH JUST BEING -- YOU JUST SIT THERE OR LIE THERE AND BE -- DON'T TRY TO TINKER TOO MUCH WITH YOUR ENVIRONMENT -- YOU JUST NEED TO LET THINGS BE THE WAY THEY ARE -- I FIND THAT IF ANYTHING TRY TO MEDITATE IN A QUIET PLACE OR A LEAST A PLACE THAT DOESN'T HAVE TOO MANY OBVIOUS DISTRACTIONS

Edited by Joseph Maynor

THIS IS SUCH A GREAT VIDEO

Edited by Joseph Maynor

THIS IS SUCH A GREAT ALBUM

Jerry Garcia – Lead guitar, lead vocals

Bob Weir – Rhythm guitar, lead vocals

Phil Lesh – bass guitar, backup vocals

Brent Mydland – piano, harpsichord, backup vocals

Bill Kreutzmann – drums

Mickey Hart – drums

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reckoning_(Grateful_Dead_album)

Album cover:

Reckoning_Cover.jpg

Edited by Joseph Maynor

EVERY EGO-MIND SECRETLY WISHES TO CREATE A REALITY WHERE IT FEELS LIKE IT REINS SUPREME 

Edited by Joseph Maynor

PEOPLE WITH BIG EGOS HAVE LOTS OF DEFICIENCY NEEDS -- THIS IS A NEW INSIGHT OF MINE -- DEFICIENCY NEEDS MEANS THAT BEING AS IT IS IS NOT PERCEIVED TO BE GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOU -- YOU'RE ALWAYS SEEKING AND LOOKING FOR SOME FIX TO YOUR UNEASE WITHIN REALITY

Edited by Joseph Maynor

ON ENLIGHTENMENT AND LIFE PURPOSE -- MAKE SURE YOU'RE NOT TRYING TO CHASE HAPPINESS WITH THE EGO-MIND -- HAPPINESS IS BEING RIGHT NOW WITH NOTHING ELSE NEEDED -- DO YOUR PROJECTS BUT NOTICE WHERE THE DESIRE TO DO THOSE PROJECTS IS COMING FROM -- IF YOUR DESIRE IS COMING FROM AN INFLATED, WOUNDED, UNSATISFIED EGO, WATCH OUT, THAT CAN BE A TRAP! -- DO GOOD IN THE WORLD BUT NOT AT THE EXPENSE OF (1) BEING AND (2) HANDLING THE PRAGMATICS OF YOUR OWN LIFE FIRST

It's ok to want to help things, but make sure that is coming from a very pure place.  The Ego-Mind can chase saving the world too in order to aggrandize itself, which defeats your Enlightenment Work and your happiness.  The truth is, nothing you do in the world matters more than the quality of your being right now.  You shouldn't need to do anything more than being.  If you do need more, that should be examined as a deficiency need.  The Ego-Mind takes Enlightenment and turns it on its ear to make it something for the Ego -- when in fact what Enlightenment allows is a cease to that kind of seeking, that kind of feeling that more is needed to make your life palatable to you.  See, that's the issue.  Enlightenment should be making you ok with simply being -- you should feel complete without all the seeking, all the striving, all the aggrandizing of your Ego over other Egos.  That all comes from deficiency needs.  You can feel someone is Enlightened when they feel complete just with being.  They don't have a neurotic need to do anything like saving the world or whatnot.  Now they may in fact do that, but it doesn't have that same kind of urgent, desperate energy about it.  There's a humble, secure energy there because no deficiency needs are creating that feeling of lack in the moment.  When you don't need anything, that is noticeable by others.  There you're coming from a place of abundance, of effortless and easy contribution, not a need to fill a void within your own Ego-Mind.  

Edited by Joseph Maynor

ONE REASON WHY LOTS OF TALK AND MENTAL MASTURBATION CAN BE A TRAP IN PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT WORK

Words can be a trap because we all know our talk and our walk are often at cross-purposes.  Lots of talk makes it seem like we are progressing, but take a look and see how much of that is actually the case.  Talk can actually be a colossal distraction from doing personal development work.  The Ego-Mind likes to cling to its talk and think that it's making progress by doing a lot of talking.  But then you look at the person a year later and nothing has really changed in their life -- just more and more talk, more and more distraction from making the changes that are needed to do real personal development work.  Some of these people end up pretty deluded and miserable, with that huge Ego still there only now hiding more cleverly than before.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

I GOTTA CONSTANTLY EXAMINE MY OWN MOTIVES FOR DOING THE WRITING I DO IN PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT OR ANY "TEACHING" THAT I DO -- HERE I AM POINTING OUT ALL THESE TRAPS, BUT I'M NOT IMMUNE TO THEM -- I KNOW THEM BECAUSE I'VE FALLEN INTO THEM -- I'VE FALLEN INTO ALL THE TRAPS I DISCUSS -- AND I NEED TO BE VIGILANT THAT MY EGO-MIND IS NOT BEING ELEVATED TOO MUCH ON A HIGH-HORSE BECAUSE I KNOW THE DANGER OF THAT HAPPENING IS ALL TOO REAL -- THANK GOD I'VE MADE MY MOST EMBARRASSING MISTAKES ON THAT FRONT ALREADY -- YOU CAN GO BACK AND FIND PLACES IN MY 12 JOURNALS WHERE I WAS FALLING INTO ALL THESE SPIRITUAL EGO TRAPS MYSELF -- WHAT I'M TRYING TO DO IS SHARE MY INSIGHTS FROM DOING THAT AND THEN REALIZING THE FOLLY IN THAT TOO -- AND I GOTTA MAKE SURE THAT I DON'T FEEL ABOVE OTHERS; EVERY EGO-MIND WANTS TO FEEL ABOVE OTHERS -- NO, I MADE ALL THESE MISTAKES AND NOW I FEEL LIKE I'VE LEARNED SOMETHING, SO I SHARE -- BUT THERE IS ALWAYS A DANGER THAT I GET TO PRETEND LIKE I'M HOLIER THAN THOU WITH ALL THIS TALK, AND I GOTTA WATCH THAT LIKE A HAWK -- BECAUSE I KNOW THAT KIND OF EGOIC "LIFT" THAT I GET FROM DOING THAT IS ARTIFICIAL, TEMPORARY, AND NOT WORTH THE INEVITABLE SURGE OF BAD FEELINGS I GET AFTER REALIZING THAT I'VE DELUDED MYSELF -- SO WHAT I'M SAYING HERE IS I DON'T EXEMPT MYSELF FROM MY OWN CRITICISM -- EVERYTHING I'VE SAID ABOUT SPIRITUAL EGO APPLIES TO ME TOO -- ALWAYS MAKE ROOM FOR YOURSELF TO BE INCLUDED IN YOUR CRITICISM, I FIND THAT'S A SAFE RULE TO FOLLOW -- SO, EVERYTHING I SAY IS A TRAP IS ALSO STUFF THAT I'M DOING MYSELF -- THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IS I'M SHARING INSIGHTS FROM MY OWN PATH PUBLICLY IN AN EFFORT TO HELP OTHERS -- AT LEAST THAT'S WHAT I ASSUME MY HIGHER MOTIVE IS -- SOMETIMES THOUGH I MISS THAT MARK AND AM AGGRANDIZING MY EGO, AND I GOTTA WATCH OUT FOR THAT -- I GOTTA NOTICE THAT WHEN IT'S HAPPENING AND JUST REMIND MYSELF THAT IT'S NOT WORTH IT, IT'S NOT GONNA MAKE ME HAPPY; IT'S GONNA KEEP ME STUCK AND MISERABLE AND MAKE ME FEEL GUILTY AND DIRTY -- THE LAST THING I WANNA DO IS MAKE IT SEEM I'M ABOVE MY OWN CRITICISM -- NOT AT ALL! -- NOPE -- WHAT MAKES ME ABLE TO WRITE ALL THIS SH*T AND TEACH AND CRITICIZE IS BECAUSE I'VE MADE ALL THESE MISTAKES, I'VE FALLEN INTO ALL THESE TRAPS AND THEN HAD TO LEARN YEP THERE'S ANOTHER ONE OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN -- AND THEN I WRITE ABOUT IT -- AND IT MIGHT SEEM WHEN I WRITE ABOUT IT THAT I'M ABOVE IT, BUT THAT'S ONLY BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T SEE HOW I LEARNED THAT INSIGHT -- I LEFT THAT PART OUT! -- YEAH, I F*CKED UP AND LEARNED THE INSIGHT; THAT'S HOW THINGS ARE LEARNED! -- YOU LEARN FROM YOUR OWN SCREWUPS ON THE PATH AND THEN YOU GO TRY TO HELP OTHERS AVOID SIMILAR TRAPS -- THIS IDEA THAT TEACHERS SHOULD BE PERFECT IS NOT THE RIGHT WAY TO THINK OF TEACHERS IN MY OPINION -- EVERY GREAT TEACHER WAS ALSO A GREAT STUDENT, THE BEST STUDENT -- AND EVEN WHEN YOU'RE ALREADY A GREAT TEACHER, YOU WANNA STAY THE BEST STUDENT TOO -- I THINK A LOT OF TEACHERS DECIDE THEIR STUDENT DAYS ARE OVER, AND THAT CAUSES A LOT OF PROBLEMS -- THE EGO-MIND GETS A HOLD OF THAT AND STARTS TO CREATE A DEFICIENCY NEED TO BEING A TEACHER -- NOW YOU NEED ALL THIS EXTERNAL HOOPLA WHEREAS BEFORE YOU WERE JUST THE BEST STUDENT (YOU WORKED HARDER THAN EVERYBODY ELSE) -- IT'S WHEN YOU START RESTING ON YOUR LAURELS AS A TEACHER AND START BELIEVING YOUR OWN HYPE THAT YOU SHOOT A HOLE IN THE BOTTOM OF YOUR OWN BOAT AS A TEACHER -- PEOPLE LIKE TEACHERS THAT COME FROM A PLACE OF MASTERY NOT FROM A PLACE OF AUTHORITY

Edited by Joseph Maynor

THE PARADOX OF LOVING AND NOT LOVING YOUR EGO-MIND -- AND HOW YOU GOTTA WORK BOTH ENDS OF THIS PARADOX

It is tricky.  Yes, I agree that demonizing your Ego-Mind is no good on the Path.  But at the same time, the problem with the Ego is it creates all these deficiency needs that get you chasing for happiness in some other place than simply being.  So, it's a bit nuanced.  The Ego-Mind can thwart your happiness if you let it.  And while it's doing that, you can be deluded into thinking you're doing a great thing, only to be left with a hollow victory at the end of the process, if you get a victory at all.  But at the same time, to demonize and deny the Ego-Mind just pushes it more underground which makes it harder to manage and harder to see frankly.  This is why there are so many Spiritual Egos on the Enlightenment Path.  These people deny and demonize their own Ego-Mind which is still there.  I hate to use this example, but it's sort of like being gay and trying to deny that out of yourself.  You don't wanna do that, that will just make your problem worse.  You're better off allowing yourself to be gay, even if you're not happy about that, because at least then your gayness isn't sent underground where it will still survive but be forced to manifest in all kinds of under the table ways.  Ditto for Ego.  It's best to acknowledge and accept Ego than to try to deny it out of existence, because it doesn't go anywhere.  It's best to deal with things above the table rather than below the table, even if they're unsavory.  So, I am a fan of loving and accepting the Ego-Mind, but I also realize the danger and traps that the Ego-Mind presents and try to avoid those too.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

WHAT DOES MY IDEAL LIFE LOOK LIKE?

My ideal life looks a lot like my life right now: Physically healthy, living in a beautiful place, financially secure, emotionally balanced, engaged with the world in a way that I find inspiring and worthwhile.  Honestly, nothing money could buy would improve my life much.  Nothing Philosophy could present my Ego-Mind with would improve my life much.  I used to feel like I needed to do all these things to be happy, but now I realize it's the things that I no longer care to do that allow me to be happy.  My life is happy right now.  All I gotta do is keep doing what I'm doing -- keep living well and contributing back in my own chosen way.  The last thing I want to do is get wrapped up in being a Spiritual Ego, that would actually diminish my peace and my happiness.  When I do make my own debut as a personal development teacher in a couple of years, I'm not gonna need the money or the fame.  And I wanna keep it that way.  It's those who aren't attached that give off the right vibe as a teacher.  And that I can see from my standpoint now, and I just gotta make sure that my Ego-Mind doesn't poison that insight for me.

Edited by Joseph Maynor