Jonson

What should i do ? Art or Programming or Both

3 posts in this topic

I am a high school student and this is my last year. My family wants me to go to college, I also want to but if I do go to college and spend 3 years there, then I want that college to provide me actual skills that i can't really learn alone. I also like the idea because of the maybe like-minded people that i am going to meet. 

I am artistically driven. I'm very interrested in film creation, graphic design, marketing. I think that all these things can be learned alone, but my sister says that companies pay better if you have a diploma. So then I'm thinking that if I go to college then i should learn something that i can't learn alone so easily, so not artistic fields. I can do all the art stuff in my free time.

I am also tehnically driven. I would love to program, i like to think of solving problems through automatization, build websites, apps.

Possible businesses : Photoshop business (i can provide all sorts of services), video production business (editing and or filming commercials, music videos etc.. ) Photography business

These things would probably make me fulfilled. I really like to do that sort of stuff. 

I am not sure yet about programming. I could probably offer many services with it but i don't know if i would want to have that as a job. I would like to have a deep understanding of it but use that knowledge when i need it , like in creating something. 

I don't know if i should go to college or rather take a lot of courses in whatever interests me and create all sorts of businesses where i provide a bunch of different services , that would be cool. Or i can go to college, learn programming, meet a bunch of people, and do the art related businesses in my free time , but i wouldn't want to exhaust myself.

Luckily college in Austria, Europe is cheap - 40 euros a semester. 

I will also want to grow a youtube audience , to create all sorts of youtube videos . I am interested in every type of content :entertainment, educational ... Presenting knowledge or entertainment in a video. That sounds very inspirational to me. This way i could be a film-maker, learner, speaker... When i say educational i mean i would like for example to create quality films about every field of work, i would interview the top people in a specific field, present the most essential and important information in a way that i will be able to express my artistic drives. I also mean videos on fitness, diet, science,religion, spirituallity, specific know hows...

So this is kinda what i want .. To study programming, do art related businesses, build an online presence, and channels with quality educational/entertaing videos.

Besides this i have many things that i need to do : becoming fitter, more muscular (pushups, pullups, ..)

Experimenting with different diets, 

Going out learning game , becoming more charismatic (improved vocal tonality, body language...)

Find people with similar interests

The thing is that i live in Romania in a smaller city .. And if i go to college i will move to Austria, Vienna - big city. Because of that i worry about my mom being lonely, actually nah she is fine , we got a huge family, she has 6 sisters and 4 brothers. I worry about her health though because she has been smoking for 30+ years .. She is 58 .. She had many mental problems ,she is a painter .. Professional paintings super talented. My father was a journalist, a writer(poems) and a french-hungarian professor for a few years. I think he was very awake spiritually and kind of understood life.Unfortunately, he also had many mental problems, he died last year, he had some health problems since he got hit by a car like 13 years ago. He didn't live with us .. I lived with my loving grandma, mom and uncle. My grandma had 10 children and i have like 19 cousins.. There are many artists in the family : singers, painters, piano players.. There are also doctors, engineers..The thing is that i worry about my mom and uncle being lonely,  my mom has schizophrenia, that's how she was diagnosed.. She had some traumas in childhood..She is on medication, she is happy though and funny .. She tells us a lot about how she is the wife of god... Or that there are many gods.. She is self aware of course ... She is very cute and beautiful .. She lives with my uncle in a big house ..where my grandma raised 10 children and us... I just want to find her a group of friends maybe, be able to help her materially, with everthing , and i also worry cause she smokes... 

So i wanna help my mom and my whole family in every way .. 

Another thing is that i often worry existentially....sometimes i get aware of this body , the beating heart and i freak out lol . 

I love to make people laugh, i love memes , i love meta-humor, deep laughter, i love laughing about the human condition ,i love laughing about awkward interactions between humans, i love laughing at myself. I love laughing in class ,make dumb jokes, not everyone likes my weird humor only the people that i like and that's enough lol . i am very lazy in school... Need to get a girlfriend .. Didn' t have one , girls like me though im funny .. Unique looking

I think i expressed some things now. 

I will need to structure/organize all of these thoughts. 

I could say so... Much i could write a book about my life.. I have so many things to be written down... It helps me to reflect a lot... 

Edited by Jonson

If you are way more artistically talented than technically, go with art. Otherwise, start with programming. You will be able to fund your time spent on art later on.