Jamie Universe

Choosing between two interests

5 posts in this topic

I'm at a dilemma where preparing for college is becoming imminent, a part of me wants to do art related things, not sure what exactly, maybe a writer, maybe some sort of theatre job, but apart of me also realizes that doing arts (even though thats what I want to do) is probably a bad idea, that knowing myself I will probably end up hurting a lot, though enjoying my job maybe, and also another part of me wants to self-actualize, get enlightened, and do that stuff. 

I could maybe do both, but can you really have 2 life purposes? I for sure want to see and do the actualization/spiritual path, I feel its to important to leave at this point, its one of the few things I consider that can be really meaningful to my life. But no job related to self-actualization interests me, I don't really want to become a teacher, unless there's some niche that Leo hasn't covered that I can fill, but that doesn't overly motivate me.

I feel like I should merge the two somehow, but don't really know how, any advice? 

Is it better to design my own type of job, or try for well-known type of careers?

Also what other kind of jobs are related to self-actualization/spirituality that can allow me to also grow in those areas as well as get money from it?

Edited by Jamie Universe

A big part of self-actualization is to free yourself. You still talk about jobs. When with the subject is ART, this plays more important role on your true freedom.

Do not let education get in the way of self-actualization--whatever that means for you--developing community, body-building, practicing virtue, learning science, or taking psychedelic drugs.

To me, education means trying to mix playfulness and fun-in-learning, with formal discipline and rigour.

One of my family members completed a program in Theatre Arts--to develop and express herself. Afterwards, she did not fight hard enough for one of those unpaid positions in the arts scene; so her art career died then and there, at graduation. Then she spent years cleaning dishes, and struggling to get enough hours to pay for rent. Now she is finally upgrading her high school math, to apply to a diploma program that might end with paid employment. It takes a LOT to pitch an Art business. Consider that, some undergraduate degrees are more likely to land you a job (if you want employment before doing a graduate degree).

Roughly, I would say the "easier" or "softer" the program sounds, the harder it will be in the world. Compare a program in neurological-imaging with a counselling degree. Probably, the counselling grad will be paid less and struggle more through difficult situations.  Again, that is a rough generalization. Still, every educational program (especially difficult ones) turn out to be fascinating and even fun when you engage in the work.

Most undergraduate degrees can get you into any graduate or professional program. So you might be able to do an English degree and get into medical school--maybe. People tell funny stories like, 'the only way to be successful is to do this one thing.'

You will enjoy school when you engage with it. Get ahead by reading the textbooks. Some textbooks are very readable. Find Ph.D. dissertations through your university library database (e.g., ProQuest). Dissertations summarize knowledge on the subject. So by reading a little bit, you can get way ahead of everyone, and you will have free time to do other things.

-'This Information analyst will collaborate with computer programmers to design artificial intelligence programs: Requires a Master's degree in Information Analytics.'  'This health inspector makes $80,000 per year: requires a Master's Degree in Public Health.' 'This tax law position starts at $180,000 and goes to $350,000 at year 5, with room for significant growth. A certified accountant + lawyer with a Master's Degree in tax law is preferred.'

Edited by RobertZ
Grammar

Art (as self-expression) is greatly related to self-actualization. Make creating art part of your practice.

I thought this through and I've found a reason to do more. I feel like I can't choose between one, so I'm not. My life purpose is going to be plural, after all working towards something is what creates the meaning, and there's not exactly one thing I'm trying to work towards. So I figure your life doesn't have to just have one purpose you can just make it up, as long as its a goal you care about. (Though I could be wrong, and live a miserable life because of this.)