SQAAD

Can Holotropic Breathwork/Hyperventilation Cause Brain Damage?

16 posts in this topic

I have been practicing holotropic breathwork every day for few minutes in conjuction with my "normal" meditation practice and it makes me feel great. I am also feeling weird sensations "in the brain" afterwords.

Is holotropic/breathwork dangerous in any way ? What should i be aware of? 

Many materialistic websites refer dangers about hyperventilation. I don't know what to believe anymore.

Thanks for your time.

Edited by SQAAD

You feel it just after a few minutes?

Who teaches us whats real and how to laugh at lies? Who decides why we live and what we'll die to defend?Who chain us? And who holds the Key that can set us free? 

It's you.

You have all the weapons you need 

Now fight.

You're doing the Wim Hof method basically. I think there's some research about that suggesting positive outcomes. I don't know the details.

Hyperventilation is known to be harmful under certain conditions. 

So... there's a bit of a conflict. 

2 minutes ago, SQAAD said:

@Elisabeth What is the difference between hyperventilation and the Wim Hof method?

I'm not sure there is scientific consensus on whether there is a difference or not :) That's my point. 

(I remember some holotropic breathwork advocate claiming that the way of breathing deeply and consciously is actually different from shallow hyperventillation that happens under stress etc.. But I haven't been very thorough with my research. You'll have to look into it. )

@SQAAD it can have all sorts of effects on your body. Use it wisely with caution.

I had a sore throat because of it. I think it varies from one person to another.

Stay well. Health before wealth.

I've done hella research and can't figure this one out either. I've just continued it because research has shown win hof is extremely helpful(which is basically shorter duration and with pauses where you don't breath.

Don't know the answer neither

But when people talk about the danger/negative effects of hyperventilation, are they not talking about some continious subtle hyperventilation, due to poor breathing 'skills' ?

Which is maybe quite different than the hyperventilation in WH method or holotropic breathwork where it's just for a limited period of time and then the standard breathing would be normal / 'correct' 99% of the time the rest of the day

Yeah I can't tell either what's true or false about it. I don't think it's been studied. Brain damage is a big deal, but I'm not from a medical background to know if a short term decrease in blood flow and oxygen to the brain will cause damage. For all I know, the altered brain state is good if done occasionally.

I'd rather do psychedelics, seems safer. 

Edited by lmfao

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

Hyperventilating is when you are expelling more Oxygen and have more CO2 than you should in your body, shamanic breathing is deep breathing in causing more oxygen to build up, they are exact opposites according to Leos video am I wrong?

"Started from the bottom and I just realized I'm still there since the money and the fame is an illusion" -Drake doing self-inquiry

There was a girl on this forum who made an in-depth video on this subject a long time ago, I watched the whole thing and concluded, its not dangerous! Just dont push yourself too hard, gentle breathing, no forcing or hurting yourself ,if you feel that you are having side-effects in daily life then just stop and do some other technique.

Dont look at me! Look inside!

I’d treat it like psychedelics or exercise, very beneficial but don’t overdue it, work your way up because it prolly takes a toll on the psyche and nervous systems. It’s, overall, very powerful for consciousness work relating to emotional blockages/trauma. Seeing how long it’s been a practice, nothing to worry about. Also keep in mind the brain can and does regenerate cells 

Edited by DrewNows

4 hours ago, Rilles said:

There was a girl on this forum who made an in-depth video on this subject a long time ago, I watched the whole thing and concluded, its not dangerous! Just dont push yourself too hard, gentle breathing, no forcing or hurting yourself ,if you feel that you are having side-effects in daily life then just stop and do some other technique.

I remember watching that video ages ago actually. 

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

Maybe breath work can cause brain damage but it feels so good, seems like anything that feels this good could be bad for, pot, beer and any number of other drugs, most people who partake in recreational drugs are generally in denial  about there bad side effects  , so why not be in denial about breath work .

CHEERS

I mean when you run, you are breathing just the same. Yet, runners aren't hyperventilating.  Why should it be different when you are just lying down, and breathing at race pace?

Meditation is a lifestyle of developing a calm state of mind WHILE engaging in one’s ambitions!

Counting your breaths, chanting a mantra, and the rest of it is all ratshit and a complete waste of time. What is stopping you from meditating WHILE working on your life purpose?