Ingit

is Music a trap in the pathway of self exploration?

14 posts in this topic

I listen to music whenever I feel low or midst of suffering, Can It be like I am suppressing my emotions and not listening them...cuz Listening to  Music is like IM in a flow....!  Just thinking

?IngitScooby ?

Find out for yourself, there is no right answer , it depends on where you are at path and what problems you have. 

@purerogue I agree

@Ingit I used to always have to have music playing when at home if I wasn't watching tv. I finally had to admit that I otherwise the silence disturbed me and that I was essentially using music to dissociate from,,, reality, basically. Instead of suddenly changing the habit, I just acknowledged it for a long time until one day I just naturally found myself enjoying absolute quiet. In going about it this way,,, it just happened naturally and I didn't have to make an extra effort or push the issue. Simply observing without self criticism and occasionally pondering the issue brought about the change.

"To have a free mind is to be a universal heretic." - A.H. Almaas

"We have to bless the living crap out of everyone." - Matt Kahn

Music by itself is pure energy. Has no problem in it. It depends the kind of music that you listen. What do you want from life? Then listen music that resonate with you. 

Music is very powerful. See it as adding to whatever state you're in. It's additive, not negative. Silence does, however, have its place.

I guess you can also use music to release emotions or face emotions... :) 

I was just wondering cuz I read it somewhere that people often use music as a source of getting rid of how they feel... - 

?IngitScooby ?

Its just sounds. I wouldnt worry unless youre listening to something toxic like Neo-Nazi music or something.

Dont look at me! Look inside!

@Ingit  It's the same with any tool. It's like asking: Is knife dangerous? If you use it to chop some vegetables for lunch, it isn't, but if you use it to stab someone, it is dangerous for sure. It always depends on the mind, how it decides to use the tool.

@Ingit It's kind of like mathematics, two negatives equal a positive. So if someone is depressed and they listen to depressing music it will have a net positive effect on them because they relate to the emotions and its cathartic and makes them feel better. If they're in a positive mood and listen to positive music it makes them even more positive. But once again, everyone is different.

Honesty, I think listening to music all my life has made me more in touch with my emotions and not less.  To me music is an avenue to spirituality.  It has been my whole life.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

2 hours ago, Joseph Maynor said:

Honesty, I think listening to music all my life has made me more in touch with my emotions and not less.  To me music is an avenue to spirituality.  It has been my whole life.

?

I also think it’s a good idea to learn an instrument, and play with other people. You can have many “spiritual” experiences doing that.

46 minutes ago, Gabriel Antonio said:

?

I also think it’s a good idea to learn an instrument, and play with other people. You can have many “spiritual” experiences doing that.

Yep.  You got it.  I learned more about spirituality playing jazz than I did from any book or "teaching".  That's what makes me so grounded without needing to cling to all kinds of Metaphysics and beliefs.  My spirituality was discovered and cultivated long before I knew anything about Enlightenment Work.  Music is also the universal language.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

@Ingit it's completely up to the vibrational level of the music. Music can bring you down, or it can greatly bring you up. Be very honest with yourself over what music you listen to, and the intent behind it. It might be helpful to relate spiral dynamics to the music. So if you want to be lifted by music, you have to listen to high consciousness music that's at your stage of development or above. Also be aware that Youtube talks can have a similar healing effect (like Sahdguru, Ken Wilbur, etc).

"The greatest illusion of all is the illusion of separation." - Guru Pathik

Sent from my iEgo