joeyi99

Difference between concentration and meditation

7 posts in this topic

I thought concentration was a type of meditation that is necessary to have in order to do insight meditation (mindfulness).

I always thought that mantra and breath meditation was a sought of one pointed concentration type of meditation.

Is there a fundamental difference? 

Or is meditation a decluttering of the mind and then concentration is specially just focusing on an object?

I've always thought of meditation to be both passive and active at the same time, something that can't really be said of pure concentration or pure relaxation.

See video: Concentration vs Meditation

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@joeyi99 there is no difference. there are various types of meditation and concentrative meditation is one of them. the cool thing is that the concentration you develop by concentrative meditation can be extremely helpful to do other kinds of meditation effectively, like Leo says in his video.

I personally use concentrative meditation as main practice. 

read https://www.amazon.com/Million-Thoughts-Meditation-Himalayan-Mystic/dp/8184959451 if you want to go more in depth in that.

Concentration, Samatha is actually meditation and all other techniques are insight practices.

"Buddhism is for losers and those who will die one day."

-- Kenneth Folk

On 2/4/2019 at 10:41 AM, Leo Gura said:

See video: Concentration vs Meditation

İ could not find this video.