Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zenjen

Journaling App Advice?

4 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, ??

I have an idea for a self-actualizer type journaling app. I’m a graphic designer and plan on doing all of the UX/UI work myself. However, I’m not sure how to go about finding a developer. I would only be able to invest about $10,000 to start. Does anyone on here have experience developing their own app by chance? Or perhaps have researched the topic before?

"Move and the way will open."
– Zen Proverb

That's a big investment to make with significant risk of failure.

I recommend that you first thoroughly research your market to make sure that what you're gonna be selling will actually sell. You must research all such similar apps and see how your app could compete. You need to have a solid, realistic plan for how you're gonna make that money back.

Hiring a developer is pretty easy. Sites like Guru.com and Upwork.com allow you to hire developers from around the world at affordable rates.

The biggest mistake new entrepreneurs make is that they fail to properly test their idea before launching it, only to hear the sound of crickets as no one even knows your product exists. You must have a realistic marketing strategy. How are people going to find your app? A good product alone is not enough.

Developing the app itself is the easiest part of your plan. Marketing the app is the hard part. How much will you charge and who's gonna buy it? Will it really be useful to people? Will it be unique enough to get word-of-mouth recommendations? How are you gonna get your first 100 sales? Who is your target audience? What needs do they have which aren't already being served? How will your app compete against other apps like OneNote and EverNote? As an entrepreneur it's your job to solve all those questions.

If you're gonna be in the app-making business, you need to carefully study the app marketplace. Which apps sell? Which apps flop? Which parts of the market are saturated? Which parts of the market aren't? How much money can you expect to make? How are successful apps marketed? etc.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura Thank you for the solid advice. It’s always a pleasure to read your feedback.

To be honest this idea just popped into my head today and I’m still contemplating whether or not it’s a good  one. My first thought was to get a quote on how much the development + marketing would cost me first to see if it’s even in my realm of possibility. I work for a marketing company currently and would be interested in consulting with my coworkers on a marketing strategy.

Still, I’m going to do some more research on my own and see if it’s something I really want to take on.

Edited by zenjen

"Move and the way will open."
– Zen Proverb