ShaharA

Quitting coffee entirely - 90 days challenge!

34 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I have been drinking coffee for the last 9 years of my life (ages 18-27).

After a long research about the subject and about my own body and personal needs, I decided to quit coffee entirely.

This is not a protest against coffee or an attempt to convince anyone to be like me. 

This is a personal decision I made after long research and personal contemplation process with myself about my own body. 

During the contemplation process, the insight just came me: I drink coffee not because it tastes good but just in order to get the "feel good" effect and in order to escape the pain of my emotions (In most cases it is just a quick shot of espresso I take although I don't even like the taste! like a medicine)

More insights I had about the disadvantages:

Causing fast metabolism (while I'm trying to gain weight as a skinny guy)

The alertness, focus and good mood effect does not always occur to me and even if they do it is for a short period of time

In many cases I get the exact opposite effect: feeling tired, dehydrated, unfocused, feeling down and depressed. 

Increases stress and anxiety 

In high doses increasing heart rate and making me feel really bad

I feel I depend on it and like I can't start the day without it

It affects my schedule (I "need" coffee to wake up / to concentrate on a task / to feel good)  

It takes a lot of my time and attention during the day (where is the coffee?)

Insomnia

Money (capsules, coffee beans, coffee machines + maintaining, buying coffee on the street)

My goal is to avoid coffee completely for the next 90 days,  And after that- for life.
You are more than welcome to support me during this process!

Best of luck! I quit on 1st of January this year, so far drank none :) If I can suggest you one thing when you really feel down of coffee deprivation is L-theanine or a cup of green tea. Both have the calming and focus arousal effects for me without the wanting-to-do-all mentality that I get from coffee :)

Hello there,

I quit coffee 3 weeks ago and I've been looking all over the internet for testimonials and other people's journeys withthout coffee, so I'm very happy for finding this thread. 

I've been drinking 1-3 cups of coffee every day for the past 7 years and this habit made me believe that I can only be the best version of myself if I have my cup, as if coffee was a part of my personality. In few years, I became more irritable, feeling dehydrated as you mentioned, coffee started to dictate my eating and sleeping patterns, even my moods. After the sweet energy and awareness boost, there always came an abrupt breakdown with lack of sense and motivation...unelss I added another cup, of course.

What were the biggest fears attached to quitting the magic potion: morning sluggishness, depressive moods, being slow all day and unable to perform my tasks properly, abesnt-mindedness and difficulty in communication. Guess what? After the first days, my sleep quality improved and paradoxally, the mornings became much easier than with coffee. I am also able to read, learn and work as I did before, no extreme moods and a more constant energy flow.

Black, green tea as replacements in the beginning plus drinking lots of water can be great allies in this challange and I wish you the patience and determination to go on and share with us your experience. There is life after coffee and the feeling of independence you get after quitting, getting to know and feel your body and its needs better are priceless!

Edited by Marah

Day 1:

I woke up this morning with the same thought I have every morning: "when do I get my coffee?"- then I became so aware of this that release how strong this habit was in my life and how much it became a part of who I am. I just skipped the coffee routine and made myself an orange juice from a real fresh orange with a great healthy breakfast. I felt headaches in the middle of the day and suddenly realized that the "solution" for headaches for me was always been a cup of coffee. This time I didn't use this solution and it was gone by the evening.

It is evening now, and I didn't drink coffee today! I feel proud!

@Marah I could not agree more! I experience the exact same symptoms. It is good to know there are more people who can be aware of that! good luck with your own process!

@RiseAbove @Charlotte Thank you for your support! I'm excited to share my journey with you!

בהצלחה! :D

"Beyond fear, destiny awaits" - Dune

Day 2

I felt light headaches during most of the day.

I was invited to drink a coffee with a friend and said no. We sat together while he drinks his coffee and I'm not.

Feeling proud.

@Arthur Thank you brother! 

Edited by ShaharA

@ShaharA Thanks for sharing this with us man,

I am going to join you on this to see what happens.

Have you noticed any difference to your quality of sleep, brother?

Congrats on avoiding the temptation! The first days are known to be the most difficult and the headaches will soon become milder and copletely disappear.

Coffee is such a socially acceptable habit and it takes some will to say ”no” since the majority of people sees it as beneficial. If one quits smoking, nobody will ask why, but for coffee (at least in my case), coworkers, family and friends were quite skeptical and surprised.

@EvilAngelBest of luck in this quest and let us know about the outcomes!

Day 3

I woke up early today and felt extremely tired. I felt the need to have my cup but decided to drink clean herbal tea instead. 

I had an important day at work today and had this thought: "I'm tired and in order to be the best version of myself I need to have an espresso shot! how bad could it be?"

With a lot of awareness and loyalty to myself and my commitment, I said to myself: "I don't need any chemical substance to be the best version of myself"

From this point on it was much easier and I had no headaches today.

@EvilAngel Good lack brother! Yes, definitely much easier to fall asleep without the caffeine in your system. And after working out at the gym in the evening it's like heaven in your bad. By the way: breaking benjamin is my favorite band of all time!! The love of my life! I will go to see them in Europe after they finish their long tour in the US.

@Marah You are absolutely right! the social part is one of the most difficult for me. Most people don't really get it about coffee. I found just one friend who really understood my process and supported me.

Day 4

Felt depressed in the morning, I realized that coffee has always been an escape from any bad emotions.

Instead of the coffee, I felt the emotions with full awareness and intent, powerful experience.

Very interesting. 

I myself do not have any bad issues with coffee. But i can relate with the 'i might be fooling myself into thinking i need this'. 
The only con i have is that i can get stomach cramps from time to time. 

Good luck on the challenge though. You can do it! 

Feel the power within and don't turn to another unhealthy addiction in order to escape emotions. Do as I did. I removed, blocked all the things around me that was addicting.

Day 6

This is the longer period of time without coffee I have ever had since I was 18.

I can feel my body and emotions in a much more clear way.

The way my digestion system works changed for the better.

Today I felt really tired and almost bought myself a cup of espresso - then I realized I wanna do it just in order to wake up myself in a chemical way. then I avoided it.

Day 7

A full week without coffee, today I didn't even feel the need to drink a coffee.

It is actually great to know that I do not depend on this thing.

Day 19

I feel great and don't even feel the need to drink coffee.

It is crazy because I even feel aversion when I think about coffee! I just don't want it!

I found green tea much better option! might be a new addiction :)

That's great!!

I need to take on this aim for myself at some point,,,,

"To have a free mind is to be a universal heretic." - A.H. Almaas

"We have to bless the living crap out of everyone." - Matt Kahn