AlphaAbundance

How to maximize fasting for spirtual growth?

29 posts in this topic

Fasting, water fasting, dry fasting, etc

I'm currently on Day 5 of a 31 Day water fast and want to know how to maximize this state for spirtual growth.

1 minute ago, AlphaAbundance said:

@ajasatya Enlightement and other insights into Truth

if you're seeking enlightenment, why are you fasting?

unborn Truth

5 minutes ago, AlphaAbundance said:

@ajasatya Various aticles, posts, sites have led me to believe that it would accelerate spirtual insights

a bulimic person would have more "spiritual insights" by learning to eat properly a little more;
an obese person would have more "spiritual insights" by learning to fast for small periods;

have you ever heard of the middle path? what does enlightenment mean to you?

unborn Truth

@ajasatya Nope but just briefly researched it, it seems interesting. The Middle Path seems like a long term strategy, I want to focus in the short term for efficient results.

I only have conceptual understanding; That is Truth of no self, oneness, nonduality and realization of "your" infinite nature

@ajasatya Why do you state those views on bulimic and obese people toward spirtual insights? And why is spirtual insights in quotations?:(O.o

10 minutes ago, AlphaAbundance said:

I want to focus in the short term for efficient results

then sit down and, for 40 minutes, let go of your goals and of what you think of yourself.

if you do it everyday, you might have glimpses of True Nature. fasting is useless here.

12 to 24h food fasting can be useful when you have some gut issues like infections or irritations. fasting for "spiritual purposes" is just another way of playing within the egoic pattern of pride and achievements.

16 minutes ago, AlphaAbundance said:

Why do you state those views on bulimic and obese people toward spirtual insights? And why is spirtual insights in quotations?

because the deepest insights are not separated from practical everyday life. bulimic and obese people should learn more about self-love and health. those are significant insights, not just mental masturbation.

unborn Truth

@AlphaAbundance Better do self inquiry for 5 hours straight once a week for spiritual insights than that torture that will give you nothing 

Edited by SriBhagwanYogi

When you'll have a healthy mind you won't seek for results.

Paradoxically, this is when true lasting results will be there.

Seeking for experiences is still the mind trying to fix itself, this isn't gonna work buddy ?

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

@ajasatya I see cause you do have emotions of achievement, pleasure and pride when fasting off certain beliefs and thoughts about fasting. Are those the egoic patterns?

Also what about claims of Jesus, Buddha not eating to withdraw from carnal pleasure to access Truth more effectively? What about  claims that fasting can make it easier to access no self, infinity? What about statements in the bible and Quran (corrupted but initially based off Truth) about fasting?@SriBhagwanYogi

It seems like the deepest insights can be integrated into every day life but you would have to go to measures separate from pratical every day life (such as meditation for hours, self-inquiry for hours and fasting for days) to reach these insights. 

1 hour ago, ajasatya said:

those are significant insights, not just mental masturbation.

I am a bit confused about what you mean here, could you clarify?

Edited by AlphaAbundance

@AlphaAbundance wtf? have you not drunk water in 5days? and a going for 31 days? That might actually fucking kill you! 
Unless you really know what you are doing here I urge you to stop this foolishness!

If you want to explore fasting for spiritual purposes I won´t stop you, but please do it with supervision of a doctor or something...

@SriBhagwanYogi My comment above this talks about the spirtual benefits of fasting. Yeah it seems fasting is useless without self-inquiry or some spirtual practice. What I am asking is will enhance or accelerate the process? Fasting is not only for spirtuality but for health and psychology as well.

@luckieluuke Ohh lol water fast is as in drinking only water and no food. Dry fasting is no water or food. I am doing the first one although I may try the latter.

1 hour ago, AlphaAbundance said:

Fasting, water fasting, dry fasting, etc

I'm currently on Day 5 of a 31 Day water fast and want to know how to maximize this state for spirtual growth.

Have you done fasting before? I have never done it but 31 day seems way too much and extreme and it isnt even advised before some medical  examination 

@DecemberFlower For water fasting (only water) it seems fine. People go for longer than 31 days; The longest documented is a 500 pound guy going till 354 days I believe. This is from memory so for accurate facts and evidence one would have to research this

@AlphaAbundance experiment short periods of fasting if you're obese; experiment certain degrees of celibacy if you're attached to sexual pleasures; experiment some degree of isolation if you're addicted to social validation;

eat more if you're bulimic; gradually expose yourself to sexual experiences if you're suffering from repression; experiment making eye contact and listening to people if you suffer from social anxiety;

extremes are egoic forms of attachment. on the other hand, the middle way requires wisdom and sellfishlessness.

if you want to use ancient sources, stay with the ethical codes (they will make your life a lot easier) and the existential matters. everything else is garbage. you don't need to fast, punish yourself or make animal sacrifices.

for the record: mental masturbation = frying the brain without actually living better.

Edited by ajasatya

unborn Truth

44 minutes ago, AlphaAbundance said:

@Shin Haha yeah I am probably falling into that trap - any resources on avoiding it?

What Ajasatya said.

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them