Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tistepiste

Frequency of using psychedelics (truffles)

11 posts in this topic

I was thinking of using psychedelics (truffles) while meditating. I expect to reach another level of consciousness while doing it.

I have a few questions regarding this.

1) What would be a good amount?

I was thinking about 15g. Or is this too much for just breathe focussed meditation? You should know that I just started meditation quite recently. Is 15g too much? Should I start with lower doses? I have been using 15g but that was mostly when I was more active and engaged with my environment. Not meditating.

2) Frequency of usage?

Is one a month healthy? Or should I take more time in between?

3) Setting?

I was thinking I would just do it in my room, with music on. Considering its winter and cold outside right now.

Cheers and lots of love as usual.

I would be mindful of setting expectations prior to a trip. Consider shifting the energy toward an "intention", or just being open to whatever insights may arise. The problem I've found with having expectation energy is that it may desire to steer the trip toward that expectation. This can set up internal struggle as the ego dissolves.

I would recommend starting out with a low to moderate dose. Low enough that you can talk yourself down if things get uncomfortable, yet high enough that you break through the surface level of mental activity. As well, if you want to use psychedelics for personal growth, I would suggest stay with low to moderate doses. Ime, high doses was the opposite of personal development. It eliminates the person.

Ime, frequency is dependent on the intensity of the trip and how well integration goes. I've gone too frequent before and things can turn into a jumbled mess. I would say a significant trip once a month, with time devoted to integration, is sustainable. Keep in mind, the higher the dose, the more difficult it will be to integrate. I've found occasional mini doses can help integration because they bring me half way there, so to speak.

For setting, I would recommend a peaceful setting you are familiar with. Your room is fine. Yet, I would try to avoid potential disturbances like people in the house asking you "What's it feel like?". I would also have several activities planned. Music is great. I would have a few other activities available as well. Sometimes things can get uncomfortable and something as simple as going into a different room or doing a different activity can shift the energy. So, have a variety of music available, perhaps some that is ethereal, electronic, some tribal, whatever. You could also have a video handy, a journal, ,meditation, some creative activity.

@Serotoninluv has dished out some really great advice here.

I'd say once a month is about right too. I don't know the potency of the truffles, so I can't offer any advice on your 15g suggestion, but it's always safe to err on the light side, you can always take more the next time.

Your setting sounds fine. It's nice to be able to venture into nature, but if it will be unpleasant to be in the winter you'll be fine cozy in your home.

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.

2 hours ago, Tistepiste said:

I was thinking of using psychedelics (truffles) while meditating. I expect to reach another level of consciousness while doing it.

1) What would be a good amount?

Aim at 2g of dry mushrooms for your first trip and thus convert truffles accordingly.

2 hours ago, Tistepiste said:

2) Frequency of usage?

It depends only on whether you feel like you've integrated everything on a psychological level and wheter there are any physical symptoms you might wanna avoid.

Imho, the fact that there is a 2 week tolerance is a safeguard mecanism put on by nature to avoid you trip too often :P

@Tistepiste oh I forgot to add: meditating on psychedelics can be way harder than normal, or else it can be way smoother and deeper, or both. It can really go any way. Psychedelics are like giant amplifiers for your mind, so they will turn up whatever is in there. If you are having monkey-mind, on psychedelics you'll have 1000x monkey mind. If you're having deep satori, you'll have (satori of satori of satori)^satori.

The more you take, the more the amplification. Neural circuits make use feedback loops, and when you turn feedback loops up a lot, you can get resonance within these feedback circuits. So this is where a lot of the classic visuals in psychedelics come from - you're actually seeing the patterns of your own mind's visual processing "algorithms" feeding back on themselves, similar to the art created by googles DeepDream algorithm. The same phenomenon happens on all parts of your mind on psychedelics - thought, the senses including sound, memory, logic and so on.

Sometimes this feedback and amplification can be too strong and it can be difficult to meditate. But if you can maintain balance and empty your mind while everything is turned up, that can be an amazing, whole, experience.

edit: PS. What I meant to get to was that I find low-medium doses to be more useful for actual meditation practice than high doses. With high doses it can be a bit too wild, but sometimes it's possible, especially after the peak and amazing. 

Edited by outlandish

@outlandish Wow. This is actually amazing advice. I studied about neural networks of the brain and what you say actually makes so much sense! Really, thank you a ton

@Tistepiste cool I'm really glad you understand that perspective because it does take a little bit of background, but it really does help in understanding what's going on with psychedelics in some general ways.

To piggyback off @outlandish , I’d like to say the psychedelics also amplify empathy and connection for me, like 100x. I may see a simple act of kindness and it’s like the most beautiful loving thing I could ever imagine. As well, ordinary things can become deeply sad or disturbing. Seeing someone with mild suffering can become heart-wrenching and induce suffering in myself. I try to be mindful of this when I trip plan and try to avoid dark music, videos etc. 

@Serotoninluv interesting!

How about this though:

I was a bit depressed the first time I did psychedelics. In this light, the psychedelics would 100x amplify my depressed mood. Wouldn't it?

Although instead during the trip I felt extremely loving and could see the situation that caused me suffering from another more loving perspective. Even though my mind made it out to he the worst thing ever right before.

@Tistepiste For sure, trips can take all sorts of turns and detours. Changing one’s orientation by just a few degrees can make a big difference. 

On one of my trips I was in a reality within a reality within a reality. . . I didn’t know which was the right reality. Then, I felt like I was trapped and would never return to normal reality. Anxiety maxed out and was about to reach the panic zone when the thought entered. . . “Wait a minute, this is like the movie Inception. I get to be in a real life version of Inception. This is so freakin’ awesome!!!” Then I put on some music and started dancing because I was free in any reality that was appearing. . . . Strange Brew. . .