Juan Cruz Giusto

Are We Getting Better or Worse As A Society? (Steven Pinker)

4 posts in this topic

I've been fascinated with a book called Enlightenment Now! By Steven Pinker (no, it's not the enlightenment you think it is). He clearly shows that the world is has been getting better for the past decades and the best part is, he uses tons of data to support his case.

Hope you enjoy it!

My YouTube Channel: https://bit.ly/2PSLrNb

My problem with Pinker’s argument is that it is mostly based on stage orange materialistic values.  While it is a valid perspective, his stats are somewhat cherrypicked and they fail to take into account the deeper existential issues with modern society.

It’s entirely possible to make the opposite case.  For example, J. R. R. Tolkien viewed human history as a continuous spiritual decline and represented this idea in his expanded mythogies of Middle Earth 

I would try to integrate both perspectives to get a more accurate view 

Whether society has gotten better or not depends on the goals and values you are striving for. 

Better and worse is a dualistic illusion. Everything is always Good.

From the ego's perspective, society is getting less oppressive overall. But the paradox is that Pinker's ideology creates a justification for endless capitalism and materialism, which keeps society from becoming even less oppressive and more equal.

It's not that what Pinker says is wrong per se, it's that it's only half of the picture.

Like if I told you, "Today I saved a little puppy from getting run over by a bus. I took it home with me."

But what I don't tell you is: "When we got home, I threw the puppy into a pot and made myself a delicious stew."

The ego-mind loves to tell half-truths to make itself look good.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.