Jonson

Heartbeat

17 posts in this topic

Hi guys ! I'm 18. 

I want to ask you if you experience some stuff that i do. I sometimes think of my own heartbeat and get scared that i could die at any point. 

I am fit and also muscular so i don't think i'm unhealthy. I just get anxious sometimes and verify my pulse and stuff. I think about how everyone is like that and i relax.  

Just the thought that i am alive because of that heartbeat. Do you have any advice? thanks

Sounds like you have existential anxiety. Seems like you're afraid of death. Nobody really wants to die, so it's the ultimate phobia. But death isn't inherently bad or scary, it's just in how you perceive it. How can you have a healthier relationship with the knowledge of your mortality?

@Jonson

Fear is an illusion, created by thought, which is also an illusion.

There's nothing to fear ultimately.

You need to stop believing your thoughts, simply by just sitting in silence and watching them more consciously.

3 hours ago, Wyatt said:

Sounds like you have existential anxiety. Seems like you're afraid of death. Nobody really wants to die, so it's the ultimate phobia. But death isn't inherently bad or scary, it's just in how you perceive it. How can you have a healthier relationship with the knowledge of your mortality?

Yes. I see. It still scares me because I'm attached to my past maybe. 

3 hours ago, Truth Addict said:

@Jonson

Fear is an illusion, created by thought, which is also an illusion.

There's nothing to fear ultimately.

You need to stop believing your thoughts, simply by just sitting in silence and watching them more consciously.

Sometimes it is hard to be conscious. I'll have to implement a meditation habit and quit masturbating every day, maybe get a girlfriend and I'll be ok. Thank you guys :)

Thank you :)

@Jonson running away from your fears will only make them worse, try to find out what fear is and what its purpose is.

Masturbation has nothing to do with that, I mean, sure it keeps you stuck in your imagination and that's a part of the problem. But also, being with a gf is no less thought-provoking. So...

My advice is that you question your fears to death.

@Truth Addict So i come to the question why do i fear death and then who am I . I used to think of myself as a healthy human with the capacity of doing anything. I could be chill if a doctor told i will live without a health problem for the next 80 years . That way i have time live out my life and not worry about dying cause i'm already fullfilled.

Edited by Jonson

@Jonson question your fear, what is it? How does it arise? Where exactly do you feel the fear in your body? etc...

And if a doctor will be of help, why haven't you asked him yet?

Man I had this as well when i was 19 during lacrosse game i thought i might die because i was so concious of my heart beat.

However it was the worst right bedore i was about to fall asleep i was always so scared that i might die, but one night i said fuck it and let it be. i let my heart beat hard but i didnt panic i just let it passed and ever since that i got over it

@Jonson  completely normal to experience this some point in life. My advice would be when you feel/see the fear rising actively tell yourself the darkest fear around the subject...

"Yes I'm going to die, it's going to explode." No looking for escape routes. Submerge yourself in the fear.

Keep doing that every time fear is present and sooner or later A) the fear will go and B) you'll see it's all BS

Funny, I experienced this as well. Really freaked me out for a while and I also constantly had to ckeck my pulse whenever I couldn't directly feel it anymore. But after a while I just figured "Well, I'm still here, so it must be still working and I'll probably notice it whenever it shouldn't be the case".xD (slightly morbid perhaps) But you're fine, it really seems to just be a certain phase. But it's certainly good advice to use it as an opportunity to truly come in contact with physical mortality and stuff...

Edited by DocHoliday
Reason for edit: typos and stuff

Hey, what's up! This is Jack R. Hayes, I'm an author, currently living in Germany. Thus far, I've written two books, both in English and German; one's called "User's Manual for Human Beings", and the other one's called "The Wisdom Espresso". If you'd like to check out my work, visit me at  https://jackrhayes.de  or go to Amazon and search for my name. I'd be happy to see you there!

@Sahil Pandit Should i keep looking into it if i'm 18 and healthy or will it just mess with my head too early in life ?

You are silence. Empty of form. Nothingness. Nothing is happening, so there is nothing to fear. It is very peaceful.

You are love. You are the fullness of life. All of existence is inside of you. Love will make you cry tears of joy when you see that everything is you. That all is love and silence in a unified state.

Silence has transcended space and time. Therefore you were not born. You are eternally silence and love. You can live from here. Live from anywhere you want, and you are still living in complete silence, because everything is silence.

When you sleep every night you return to silence and love, no personality. Empty, void, full, complete. Contemplate this before bed :) 

Edited by Solace

Feel your hearts embrace of this moment of existence, and your love will awaken in everything you perceive ❤️ 

@Jonson You may become depressed for a little bit.

But i would rather integrate my mortality into my live than live a life of fear (of death).

Death has increased my gratitude for life 10 fold. 

18 is a good age to start to think about these things.

Let go of the old life you once had, and embrace one with deeper meaning :)

We are all one spark, eyes full of wonder

“Take the lowest place, and you shall reach the highest.” 

“In the monastery of your heart, you have a temple where all Buddhas unite.” - Milarepa 

i think your truly scared of death, so i ventured into some quotes on my phone.  I remember a lecture i watched on Marcus arilius, the speaker said

"Marcus arilius believed that all men die, but not all men die whining"

I'll give you the most relative quotes i have to try and help change your view.

"A man who died of old age will meet the same conditions as one who dies prematurely" - marcus arilius

"Loss is nothing but change"
-marcus arilius

"Do not despise death but be well content with it" - marcus arilius

"It’s something like going on an ocean voyage. What can I do? Pick the captain, the boat, the date, and the best time to sail. But then a storm hits… What are my options? I do the only thing I am in a position to do, drown — but fearlessly, without bawling or crying out to God, because I know that what is born must also die."
- Epictetus, Discourses

You could always read the power of now, damn... whenever i recomend that book I know people are thinking

"what do i need to read this book for? It is so obvious be present." It gets into so much more than that, it helped me learn to ground myself when i was going through a scary 2-3 year bout of depersonalization and panic attacks.

Maybe it'll help you, hope i could.

Edited by Deepconcepts