Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
peqkno

Fasting for Skinny Guys?

15 posts in this topic

What does one have to take into account?

Me personally: Low body fat and some muscle mass (gains through body weight training). Diet mostly low carb.

Should I do OMAD or Fasting?

Edited by peqkno

Miracle:    Impossible from an old understanding of reality, but possible from a new one.

What is your goal? Is it to gain muscle or to cleanse/detox? 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Are the two contradicting each other?

As of now muscle. So OMAD i'd guess?
I'm just a little scared of losing more body fat than considered healthy doing any of the above.

Or maybe things go full-circle and I loose so much fat that I start gaining some.  ;)

Edited by peqkno

Miracle:    Impossible from an old understanding of reality, but possible from a new one.

1 hour ago, peqkno said:

Are the two contradicting each other?

Cleansing is more of maintenance and even katabolic/breaking down state where gaining muscle is more anabolic / building state. In order to build muscle you need to be in caloric surplus and eat regularly..that would be 3 meals a day at least and couple snacks. + to gain you need to be in positive nitrogen balance meaning protein intake > protein output because building of muscle is one of the lowest priorities for your body and it needs to take care of building basic protein-based elements like hormones, ensymes, blood cells, immune cells etc etc...

Building muscle on OMAD will mean stuffing yourself with gigantic amounts of food in one go which is not good for the metabolism imo...but it can definitely be done and people have gained muscle going OMAD. Your body is getting mixed signals if you starve for 23 hours and it may not necessarily support the anabolic state that you want. 

I think for you the most rational thing would be to start eating regularly and maybe try to track your meal intake in something like cronometer.com. To gain muscle focus on at least 1.5g of protein per kg of bodyweight and most of all you need to hit those muscle hard physically. If you are relatively new to gym and will have sufficient caloric intake and good stress put on body, you will see gains coming in pretty fast the first year. Make sure to figure out the diet before you go in supplementing any powders or capsules. 

Don't be afraid of carbohydrates but instead of the starchy ones (flour, white potatoes, white rice) get in and complex sources of carbs from wholefoods (sweet potato, wholegrains, beans, legumes, chickpeas) and also fruits and vegetables. 

Good luck !!

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Glad you found something that fits , just careful with falling victim to marketing, most of their recommended products are their own branded ones so keep your mind open :)

Intermittent Fasting and fasting in general can do wonders for the body if you know what you are doing and know your reason for fasting, A lot of people fast for health reasons, medical reason and even religious reasons, but whatever your reason is, it is so important to do your research. 

Also depending what your goals are, you will alter what and how you eat. Here is a resource for you, you may find helpful

There's defenitly benefits, but if your goal is to gain muscle/weight and you have already a fast metabolism / strugugling to gain weight (like me), there's definitly a big downside to intermitent fasting as it's just harder to get x calories in 8 hours than in 15 hours

So if you're sometimes strugling to reach your daily calories goal i'll say that's maybe not the best idea, if you don't have that problem you can try there seems to be a lot of benefits

3 hours ago, Jordan94 said:

There's defenitly benefits, but if your goal is to gain muscle/weight and you have already a fast metabolism / strugugling to gain weight (like me), there's definitly a big downside to intermitent fasting as it's just harder to get x calories in 8 hours than in 15 hours

So if you're sometimes strugling to reach your daily calories goal i'll say that's maybe not the best idea, if you don't have that problem you can try there seems to be a lot of benefits

Nobody has a fast metabolism. 

@Jordan94 Calories don't matter that much in gaining or losing weight.

It's about the food quality (nutrient density) and removing chronic stressors (like lectins in nightshades or other "antinutrients" that cause inflammation).

https://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/f/c/f/fcf6d6a7feebebd1/Podcast_66_The_Calorie_Myth_with_Jonathan_Bailor.mp3?c_id=6271725&cs_id=6271725&expiration=1548881922&hwt=3a943745c7c0a33231f87df9d9ba9b95

or

@MIA.RIVEL Thank you. Already have researched and experimented with it for some months.
Was curoius about even longer fasts or daily like 20h+.

10 hours ago, peqkno said:

Calories don't matter that much in gaining or losing weight.

It's about the food quality (nutrient density) and removing chronic stressors (like lectins in nightshades or other "antinutrients" that cause inflammation).

Isn't the weight change in the end just calories in - calories out ? In which it's a bit more complex because some different food will have different effects on the metabolism, but that's just counted in calories out then
So the 2nd sentence would just be counted in a change of calories out

15 hours ago, Andreas said:

Nobody has a fast metabolism. 

There are definitely cases of people with hyperthyroidism who have a very fast metabolism. It is not a digestive pathology but rather a hormonal problem but these people generally have fast digestive movement and often do not absorb so much. 

On ‎31‎.‎01‎.‎2019 at 10:11 AM, Michael569 said:

There are definitely cases of people with hyperthyroidism who have a very fast metabolism. It is not a digestive pathology but rather a hormonal problem but these people generally have fast digestive movement and often do not absorb so much. 

Yea and diabetes and so on but these are diseases. The bmr between people only varies about 100 calories. 

On 01/02/2019 at 7:51 PM, Andreas said:

Yea and diabetes and so on but these are diseases. The bmr between people only varies about 100 calories.

I still think disease is a man-made nonsense that is trying to label a disharmony in the body so that proper medicines could be applied. Yes the labelling is definitelly useful but I don't think there is a single person on this forum who does not have anything going on in their bodies. Every one has a degree of insulin resistance, some digestive issues, some hormonal problems, most of us have intolerances to this or that..anyways though I'd add that in as the medical profession likes to draw lines but in reality the area between healthy and ill is pretty damn vast. 

On ‎04‎.‎02‎.‎2019 at 10:16 AM, Michael569 said:

I still think disease is a man-made nonsense that is trying to label a disharmony in the body so that proper medicines could be applied. Yes the labelling is definitelly useful but I don't think there is a single person on this forum who does not have anything going on in their bodies. Every one has a degree of insulin resistance, some digestive issues, some hormonal problems, most of us have intolerances to this or that..anyways though I'd add that in as the medical profession likes to draw lines but in reality the area between healthy and ill is pretty damn vast. 

Saying that one has a "fast" or "slow" metabolism is unhelpful. The degree to insulin resistance or any other hormonal imbalance one has can be within a normal range, and a unhealthy range.