Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shan

Are there proffesionals to create custom nootropics or supplement plan ?

5 posts in this topic

If you saw Leo's 2 videos one for supplements and one for nootropics the list is endless. I take my hat off for him to research so many supplements and using them well. 

I would like to start somewhere to help with my anxiety and also help with my overall health and mind-performance. That list seems too long and will be hard to understand what works and what doesn't. I am hoping to find a consultant who can understand my needs and suggest a plan.  It would be great to find someone locally (Australia) so they know the local brands but anywhere is fine I guess. 

I do not think the local doctors or dietitians are good because as in words of Leo "they just make sure you will live but can't make you a high performer".

TL:DR : Are there trustworthy professionals who can help me create a custom nootropics/ supplement plan ? What are they called, how do I find them ?

@Shan throwing away a medical check up or a visit to a dietician is unwise IMO. Your anxiety and/or other problems can be caused by a number of nutritional deficiencies which won't be fixed by nootropics. You could have an Iron deficiency for all you know, very common especially in vegetarian/vegan diets. Could have underlying inflammation as well maybe form coming off from a viral infection. I had a viral infection and was just floored for 6 months, had to sleep 9-10 hours every day.

Fix problems first, get a good foundation, then focus on being a high performer. Leo does actually advise to sort out your blood work and diet and get regular health checkups. What he meant by that quote is that doctors aren't in the business of making you self-actualize, you are in that business. Doctors are there to make sure you are at a good base line. From a good baseline you can go ahead and make your life extraordinary, but you gotta baby step it. As far as I'm aware Medicare will cover a bulk-billed GP if you come and say you want your bloods done because you are low on energy etc.

Nootropics will only add a moderate boost. Proper diet and sleep can solve a lot of underlying problems. It is from a position of good diet and sleep that people then go further and add supplements to get that extra moderate boost. Even Leo said that apart from Modafinil, all the other supps he listed are like having a really good coffee without the side effects of caffeine.

If you are still hesitant to see a doc, try 5-HTP.

@Cepzeu 

Thanks for your detailed reply. You are obviously in Aus too !

I did get my blood work done and I was cleared by the Docs.  I even said I dont want to be just OK, but really good. What I should have (or should do now) is to get a copy of the test and see if they are barely ticking the boxes or really excellent. Here again, I wish there is a service who can help understand these results.  I am doing my best with sleep, workout, and nutrition already.

I am considering 5-HTP too but there are negative reviews and articles . Each anxiety supplement can be specifically used to increase a) Serotonin, b)Dopamine, c)GABA and d) ATP directly or act as precursors for their production. These are the components causing anxiety or depression. For example, 5-HTP increases serotonin, L-Phenylalanine for Dopamine and L-Threonate is for GABA. There are other supplements like Creatine, Lions Mane, Alpha GPC, Ashwaganda for focus or as a combination. The internet is very divided on all of these and the docs only suggest SSRI. I also want to sort memory, focus etc and be my best. 

I guess I will try and error, but considering this is the mental health I don't mind getting an experts guidance. But looks like there is no such thing :(

@Shan My pleasure :)

I am based in NZ but have some knowledge of the Aus system too. In terms of understanding your results, your doc should give you a call to come back to the clinic and discuss everything, if they don't, you should be able to book another appointment for them to talk about your results with them in detail. That is what happens in NZ, I would be surprised if it didn't happen in Aus.

This is where you will have to do a lot of trial and error testing. SSRI's are recommended because they get people from depression to a baseline zombie state, where they don't feel bad, but don't feel good either (this is for the purpose of actually being able to do some talk therapy or cognitive behavioural therapy without constant thoughts of suicide etc.) Docs should not be prescribing SSRI's indefinitely. And again, docs focus on getting you to baseline, not necessarily really great.

IMO nootropics are VERY personal and work based on your brain chemistry. I tried dopamine and it made me nauseous without much improvement (you have dopamine receptors in your gut as well). I tried 5-HTP and it made me feel a bit more focussed and feeling good. On the other hand, my gf has depression and was on SSRI's as well. She took some 5-HTP (when she was NOT on SSRI's - DON'T mix SSRI's with anything unless a doctor has advised it) and felt amazing, in a way better mood, without brain fog. Obviously she responded to it better than I because her depression may stem from underexcretion of serotonin or a lack somewhere in that pathway, as you may know. Every person is different.

The hard work for you will be doing this self-experimentation. Buy a bunch of the supps and try them one by one, then when you've tried it for a while, maybe try a combination (again DON'T mix with prescription drugs unless given the all clear by a doc). See what works and what doesn't. You body is unique and your biochemical pathways will vary compared to other people so it's up to you to experiment. No one will really be able to give you a customised plan because again, everyone is different. They will just put you through trial and error as you can yourself. If you want to be extra cautious I would get the guidance of a doc to make sure your combination of nootropics won't hurt you significantly (you can get into trouble with mixing serotonin based nootropics - read up on serotonin syndrome). Try one for a month (some take time to build up), try another one for a month, etc. etc.

Excelling in life is a long term path, don't rush it :) it's to be enjoyed

All the best in your journey, post up some results in the next 6 months or so if you feel like sharing :)  

Thankyou @Cepzeu

I really hope to improve and also remember to post to you in 6 months or less. Cheers mate.