traveler

Concerns About Anesthesia For Huge Surgery

8 posts in this topic

I've made a post about this topic before, but It's pretty important to me and I would like to hear some other perspectives. I'm getting a double jaw surgery in the next year or two, and I'm having trouble with the fact that it isn't really possible to be unconscious. Anesthesiologists don't know what it is that makes patients unconscious, unknowing of the fact that it is impossible to ever lose consciousness. As Sadhguru says in the article below, the Anesthesia only numbs the recalling process.

I have had many enlightening experiences; a huge shift in consciousness, I'm living as the separate self, but I'm aware that this is an illusion). The thing about this that troubles me a bit is the fact that I'm now aware that the anesthesia doesn't really make you unconscious and the possibility that the "level" of consciousness therefore has an influence on how you're gonna react to the anesthesia. Sadhguru doesn't really answer this question, he kind of dances around it, as he does a lot . 

The reason for my worrying is the continouisly expanding awareness I'm experiencing. I'm aware every morning that I'm asleep and that I am dreaming, so if I'm aware while sleeping why should I not be aware while doctors break up my jaws? As you could imagine this is pretty concerning. I try not to worry too much though, as It is in the future, and not now. I would LOVE and really APPRECIATE if you guys could tell me about your experiences, especially If you underwent surgery with total awareness of the separate self and your true self. THANK YOU! 

https://isha.sadhguru.org/in/en/wisdom/article/anesthesia-and-consciousness

Edited by traveler

@travelerare you aware of deep sleep while sleeping? Please say correctly. Some Other enlightened says they are not aware in deep sleep.

What's your concern about taking anesthesia for undergoing surgery? Enlightened doesn't mean the body will not suffer pain. 

Ramana maharishi was skeptical about taking anaesthesia for surgery but doctors adviced him to take anaesthesia and he took it. After regaining body conciousness he felt pain goes the narative. Like wise some monks of ramakrishna mutt sharing their exp about surgery. 

@traveler Don't worry. Even meditation masters lose consciousness under general anesthesia.

"Buddhism is for losers and those who will die one day."

-- Kenneth Folk

You can be enlightened as much as you want but as long as you live in this carbon-based shell called "the body" you will feel pain and everything that this meaty package comes with. Conscious or not, you can not bypass the pain that the surgery would otherwise cause you which would make it impossible to accurately operate on you. 

Your physical body (yes I know it does not exist) is still made from neurons and those can easily get numbed down by chemistry. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

12 hours ago, traveler said:

, and I'm having trouble with the fact that it isn't really possible to be unconscious.

@traveler I had the gall bladder removed about a year ago I had the same concerns as you in the back of my mind. I'm telling you once I was out I was OUT! It was so deep when they woke me after the surgery I felt like I was reborn. It was deeper than the deepest sleep you'll ever get at night. It was kind of funny too in a way b-c when they did wake me I felt a little irritated having to come back to this cold, loud, harsh reality.

I have semi-awareness of my separate self not total and I also underwent jaw surgery for an impacted wisdom tooth and I'm quite old, I was scared but it was literally nothing

they gave me the anesthesia and less than one second later I woke up in the recovery room, no time passed for me at all and there was 0 pain.

Thank you guys for your answers. It definitely helps hearing these things from you!

I've been put under 4 times and always awoke when they moved my body from the surgery table (a couple times asking when surgery would start-...they laughed). I didn't remember a thing from the actual surgery.

Now, my sister wakes up in recovery room screaming, every time, she doesn't know why she's screaming exactly, but guess the nursing staff told her it happens to some ppl, but once she was re-oriented to what was going on she was fine. 

“You don’t have problems; you are the problem.”

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?