Paul92

What's wrong with being happy but unconscious?

74 posts in this topic

Someone answer me this please.

What is wrong with the following?

Being a normal person. Who has a normal job. Has a small group of friends. Lives within their means. Does not expect anything from anyone. Takes the rough with the smooth. Goes through life not causing anyone or anything any harm. Is just generally content with everything he or she has. Sure, has a few things that could be better, but doesn't fixate on them. Enjoys the little things in life (time spent with friends/family, going to the cinema, listening to music, cooking, nights in with the TV, walks in the country). Doesn't question everything about his or her reality. Generally tries to help others or bring a little joy to others' experiences. Likes to read and study. Only real desire is to love those closest to them. 

This person is, 95% of the time, content, happy and grateful for the life they have. But they are still, what people on here would perceive as 'unconscious'. What makes these people, like the majority of people, lesser beings? 

I was the above. Now I am questioning everything, more fatigued and anxious than ever. 

What was wrong with my previous life, really?

@Paul92 There is obviously nothing wrong with that. 

But what led you here if you were happy with everything you had?

They aren't lesser beings. Ego is what causes the perception of that. Plenty of spiritual people think they got it figured out cling and demonize those who aren't on the same path. 

There is no right path. 

Wrong is relative. 

The only reason to find truth is because you want to. 

@Echoes I got a bit of an illness that I felt I was focusing on a bit too much. So I picked up the Power of Now by Tolle. I thought it would be about how to just take your mind off things. But then it opened up a huge can of worms which led me to start questioning everything about my existence. I never considered myself to be someone who really desired anything. Of course, there were a few things that could have been better, but 95% of me was content. I had everything I need, and I have to say, from day to day, I had that inner contentment. But that book was telling me that I was chasing something, that I would never be happy until I did such and such, and understood that my reality is not what I think it is. Look, I was happy living my life, it wasn't perfect, but what is? Now I feel like I'm going insane. I thought I was going to have a seizure the other day. Everything just seems tainted. 

@Shadowraix  This is reassuring. I love my family and friends so much. I only have a few, to be honest. But they mean the world to me. But when people start calling them 'unconscious' and such, I just get this awful imagine that I am surrounded by zombies, and the people I thought I loved, including my family, are just sort of shadows, if that makes sense?

I don't even know what truth is meant to be. I just want my old life back, it was nice, despite the odd shitty bit. I never really expected anything special from my life. I don't really care about money, just experiences really. I'd toil all week, to get paid, so I can just have a good time with my friends and experience things. Not to own this or that, just to have a laugh.  

Nothing wrong.

You need to understand though, that most people aren't living like that, internally it's a fuckfest of melodrama, denials, resistances, and fears.

Even though from the outside it may not look like it, because people put masks to hide all this to the public, and even to themselves.

Even if what you say is true, that you're 95% of the time happy, no problems of any kind internally, then the other 5% can still cause you great pain, and totally own you.

Those 5% may not have made you suffer enough yet to seriously consider spirituality, to see that it is the most important part of your life,

In fact it is your life, whether you deny it or not.

Edited by Shin

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

@Paul92 nothing wrong with being happy but unconscious. 

take top performing and stable athletes, movie stars, businessmen... they are happy and loving life. they are thankful too.

but then, life happens... they are happy now... but old age, disease... accidents, unexpected stuff... 

"each soul shall taste death"

Love Is The Answer
www.instagram.com/ev3rSunny

The thing that many including me would argue is that you can't be happy and unconscious. Consciousness is a critical part of happiness. And all unhappiness comes from a lack of consciousness in my experience.

@Shin Sure, I understand what you are saying. It makes sense. I'd say, honestly, I was happy/content 90% of the time. And the other 10% was never anything major. Nothing that I really considered say suicide over. Certainly, nothing that ever really owned me. Each night I could come home, have my workout, then just sit and read or watch a TV series. Oh and play my guitar. That was happiness for me. To others that might have been nothing - boring even. But it was my existence, and I was content. 

Is it my life? That is what has freaked me out the most. The idea that I am not an individual, free to make my own choices. Maybe I misinterpreted some things, but that was the impression I'm getting. 

@SoonHei Yeah, I see what you mean. Though, again, I never really strived for fame or to be mega rich etc. Sure, money helps, of course it does. But I always say that you can't miss what you never had. I live comfortably. I enjoy my job and it gives me enough money to live the life that I want. I can follow my sports teams, I can fund my guitar playing, and I can sometimes travel and see other parts of the world. That's enough for me. I'd rather be content with that than being mega rich and miserable in a state of neurotic mindfry. 

@Aimblack Then I think people need to reevaluate how flippantly they band around the term 'unconscious'. My family and friends are good honest people, that wouldn't really wish anyone any ill. They have good morals, and strive to do the right thing and enjoy their lives. Which is why I love to be around them - they're down to earth. I think it would be unfair to just brand them all 'unconscious' because they haven't had a spiritual experience. 

Also, regarding growing old etc, sure I would think about it sometimes, quite negatively in fact. But then, there's nothing we can do about it, so why worry about it? I just try to keep myself in good shape to prevent any complications when I do grow older. I don't see how looking after your body is a bad thing, or even how it is egoic. Too many people seem to demonize the body and don't value it. 

@Paul92 I think you misunderstand what people mean when use the word consciousness in that context. It's not necessarily connected to morals.

Everybody tries to enjoy their life but depending on which means they take to fulfill that wish shows how conscious a person is. A person doesn't need to have spiritual experiences in order to be more conscious. For instance just eating fast food every day because it's cheap and easy is a mark of low consciousness in regard to diet. Because such a person is not aware that medical bills and the hardships that fast food can cause is way higher than the immediate benefits.He can still be an amazing person.

All the people you know can be really amazing people and whether they do any spiritual practice or not isn't really enough to say how developed they are. 

@Paul92 that's what happens when you start questioning your existence without bringing balance first :D

@lmfao made a good post about it :D

Right now you have a psychological structure that makes you safe and secure. Now you want to remove it but you can't handle the truth. You you're not ready to see the lie/ignorance/unconsciousness that your life is. 

First balance, then questioning everything is a fantastic thing. But if there's no balance you'll go crazy. Like those people who start to imagine raptilian politicians theories.

1 hour ago, lmfao said:

I was watching this Sadhguru video randomly, where he talks about people's search for purpose and meaninglessness. He says that whilst the idea that there is an absolute meaning to life is delusion and leads to madness , be careful that you don't excessively dismantle your psyche when you're not prepared. What this means for me is that I can't only meditate for self-development, I have to be doing many other things as well. There's a good reason ego exists, for self preservation. You want to be stable enough to the point where even without your psychological structure you can live in the present moment.

He starts talking about balance at 6min

Edited by Salvijus

50 minutes ago, Aimblack said:

@Paul92 I think you misunderstand what people mean when use the word consciousness in that context. It's not necessarily connected to morals.

Everybody tries to enjoy their life but depending on which means they take to fulfill that wish shows how conscious a person is. A person doesn't need to have spiritual experiences in order to be more conscious. For instance just eating fast food every day because it's cheap and easy is a mark of low consciousness in regard to diet. Because such a person is not aware that medical bills and the hardships that fast food can cause is way higher than the immediate benefits.He can still be an amazing person.

All the people you know can be really amazing people and whether they do any spiritual practice or not isn't really enough to say how developed they are. 

Like you say, being conscious has nothing to do with how much spiritual practices you have.
That doesn't reflect anything really, because we could still use those practices to have an identity, and still being lost in concepts.

What being conscious really means is how much we self-reflect on how we act, think, and impact the world.
I'm sure there is a lot of people who never heard anything about spirituality, and are extremely conscious.

It's just that in our current society, it's almost impossible for such people to rise, there is such an abyssal pull to stage orange values, which make us go in the total opposite direction.

Chasing solutions in the external worlds, when there is no problem as long as we closely inquire within.
Chasing happiness in external activities, when the only place we can find it is in ourselves.
Chasing love in relationships, when the only love that exist is our own existence.

(Not saying this for you obviously xD )

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

3 hours ago, Paul92 said:

I believe someone could live a happy, healthy, fulfilled life never looking into the nature of reality.  Beliefs are tricky things. 

If you want to question something, make it the duality your thinking is confined to. Takes twice the energy, always holding two perspectives. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

3 hours ago, Paul92 said:

Someone answer me this please.

What is wrong with the following?

Being a normal person. Who has a normal job. Has a small group of friends. Lives within their means. Does not expect anything from anyone. Takes the rough with the smooth. Goes through life not causing anyone or anything any harm. Is just generally content with everything he or she has. Sure, has a few things that could be better, but doesn't fixate on them. Enjoys the little things in life (time spent with friends/family, going to the cinema, listening to music, cooking, nights in with the TV, walks in the country). Doesn't question everything about his or her reality. Generally tries to help others or bring a little joy to others' experiences. Likes to read and study. Only real desire is to love those closest to them. 

This person is, 95% of the time, content, happy and grateful for the life they have. But they are still, what people on here would perceive as 'unconscious'. What makes these people, like the majority of people, lesser beings? 

I was the above. Now I am questioning everything, more fatigued and anxious than ever. 

@Paul92 Leo said one time, "the problem with being unaware is, you are unaware that you are unaware." 

This means that you think you know what you desire, when in actual fact you do not. This is why I think spiritual work and religious work tend to attract very very weak minded, or mentally "strange" people. It's harder to let go of reality when the goings good. (No offence my peeps)

In short, there's nothing wrong with doing any of that stuff...but if a person feels like they are uninterested in consciousness that's fine, however because of the nature of unconsciousness they do not realise what their desires truly are. Nobody has any other desire other than awakening, it's just some people are in the right vibrational state at the right time, being exposed to the truth in the right way...that they break their unconsciousness for a moment and see the truth.

Transcension is an interesting thing...

Edited by Aaron p

5 hours ago, Paul92 said:

This person is, 95% of the time, content, happy and grateful for the life they have.

This is a total lie.

That person in actually unhappy 95% of the time.

Be ware of how you are so miserable in life you are too unconscious and scared to even admit your own misery.

It is impossible to be unconscious and happy. Period.

Ironically, it takes consciousness just to realize you are unhappy. As but one example, notice how you constantly live in fear. Every day of your life you have a constant cloud of fear and insecurity hanging over you. Fundamentally you feel incomplete and incapable of facing life. Fundamentally you feel broken, not good enough, and unlovable. This is not something that happens occassionally. This is the theme of your entire life!

Just take a look, if you dare ;)

Do not fool yourself into thinking that any external material acheivement will ever change the above sitution. No matter how much money or sex you get, you will still be afraid, broken, and miserable. And eventually you will want to kill yourself because nothing you try will fix it. That is, unless you know about spirituality.

The devil lies to himself that he is happy being a devil. Therein lies his tragedy. If only he would admit he is a devil, there would be hope. But he is too blind and arrogant to see it. So he continues living in his own self-created hell, calling it heaven.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Paul92 My self has used the same narrative to protect itself. The second half of the narrative for me goes something like “what if the spiritual life for me means I no longer have sex, don’t get to have fun and have to work a low wage job serving people?”

@Serotoninluv Osho came along to disprove your narrative ;)

91 Rolls Royces

@Leo GuraMay be osho was never enlightened truly. A charlatan who deceived gullible people for his power fame money sex what ever the reasons known for himself. 

@Jkris He was deeply enlightened.