VictorB02

How much reading is too much reading?

34 posts in this topic

I know that this is an extremely relative question and everybody is different,

but what is too much reading to you?

I currently only read for 30 minutes then take notes for 30 minutes and I’m looking to double both of these so that I’m reading for 1 hour and taking notes for 1 hour.

What does the forum think?

Is this too much reading to actually retain information?

Or is it more how you read than the duration you read?

any answers appreciated, thank you

“The eye through which I see God is the same eye through which God sees me; my eye and God's eye are one eye, one seeing, one knowing, one love.” ― Meister Eckhart,

When your eyes well up. Take a nap.

Dont look at me! Look inside!

@Rilles imma just read till I’m blind then heh

“The eye through which I see God is the same eye through which God sees me; my eye and God's eye are one eye, one seeing, one knowing, one love.” ― Meister Eckhart,

@VictorB02

just joking hehe

seriously though, only you can know how much is too much for you. I might read a bunch for a few months and then take a long break. Its good to take a break and contemplate what youve learned the past few months.

I use Audible and my mind usually loses focus after about 1-1.30 hrs, I think thats a good amount of time, unless youre a really devout reader who can listen in long stints.

Edited by Rilles

@Rilles you're right, It is all on me, thanks for your reply though.

Do you take notes on what you read/listen to? or do you think taking notes is not worth it?

I have often contemplated if its even worth taking notes but I have always done it as I see the value of re-reading something multiple times and writing it down can really help drill it into your head

If person mostly read a book without applying knowledge in life, this is probably too much reading.

What a dream, what a joke, love it   :x

2 minutes ago, VictorB02 said:

Do you take notes on what you read/listen to? or do you think taking notes is not worth it?

No, I dont, maybe I should but I find that if I have an insight from a book it sticks with me either way, if I have to look up notes to remember something important then it probably wasnt too important.

@dimitri Thank you for your reply!

@VictorB02 thank you for the question. ;)

Are you reading/taking notes consistently?
If not, I would suggest trying to make a habit from it first before increasing timing.

Edited by dimitri

@Rilles great point. And that applies to me as well honestly, taking notes or not I remember the stuff that I naturally remember regardless of the note taking, but it prob still has value

@dimitri Yes, I have been reading for 30 minutes/taking notes for 30 minutes for the past 2 months every day without missing a day

@VictorB02 Great!

I was keeping a habit of reading every day for 6-8 month (but it was "at least 10 minutes per day" rule, sometimes I read 5 hours per day, sometimes only 10 minutes). Now I read almost every day, so can miss 3-5 days per month. :$

Edited by dimitri

@Rilles I'm not sure but I think I remember things better when not writing them down. It's like my brain thinks it doesn't have to keep it because it's externally saved. But not taking notes feels wrong, so I don't not what to do. :D

@dimitri awesome!!

@LoveandPurpose I can see that, it can be a chore to take notes. when I find myself taking a ton of notes, I switch to an audio recording of my notes.

13 minutes ago, LoveandPurpose said:

@Rilles I'm not sure but I think I remember things better when not writing them down. It's like my brain thinks it doesn't have to keep it because it's externally saved. But not taking notes feels wrong, so I don't not what to do. :D

Its a personal preference, if you like taking notes then do that by all means.

Edit: I misread your post, maybe try for a month to take notes and see if you have value from it. 

Edited by Rilles

11 minutes ago, LoveandPurpose said:

@VictorB02 What do you mean by an audio recording of your notes? :)

OneNote has a feature where you can record audio from your phone and computer. So when I have a lot of notes from a chapter or a long quote I will use audio instead of typing it down or writing it down.

@LoveandPurpose yes I believe it does! But both are great!