SQAAD

Will Science Ever be able to explain Consciousness?

71 posts in this topic

I feel like science is similar to that part of self inquiry when you ask yourself, Am I my body? : no....Am I my feelings? : no....Am I my thoughts? : no....am I....
Current science will keep asking: what is the smallest building block of the universe? how does material stuff exist? Science has been obsessed by this question in a similar way that I as a person am obsessed with "who/what am i?"
I don´t think science is as blind to it´s own illusion as one might think cause it keeps asking these question and with quantum mechanics science understand that it´s not what it thought it was.
When science has emptied it questions it will realize that itself does not exist, science does not exist, reality exists. Then science can start the journey of answering what is science and well be on track! :)  

I agree that science isn't so blind to it's own illusion/limitations.

Most of the discussion on this thread is built on the presumption that science is a static philosophy based solely on logical reasoning and what is measurable/observable in the "objective" world. However, this has not always been the case, nor will it always necessarily be the case.

I just read a fantastic book called "What is Real" by Adam Becker https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/35604796-what-is-real - a fascinating look at the history of quantum physics and it's impact on modern science. It touches a lot on the topic of what we know, how we know, how science proceeds, and how our conception of science has changed even just over the last century. One of the points in the book was that it's a fallacy that science is purely logical and based only on measurement and observation, despite the hype. There is an interesting interplay between creativity and what we decide to try to measure, then how we choose to interpret it, and how this guides the next iteration of investigation.

Consciousness is no longer the taboo topic in science that it once was. "The hard problem of consciousness" is a long way from being solved, but many scientists are looking at it, and if progress is made in answering this question, the whole idea of what science is will surely need to shift.

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.

Science can never explain consciousness if it keeps using its current model of materialism. 

Scientists explore the objective world. They don't explore themselves, which are those who are exploring the objective world. This is a 180° degree switch. Science is still far away from it. 

You mean...

Will Consciousness ever be able to explain itself through science?

Possibly, yes. To some extents.

What is for sure, is that Consciousness uses science to express itself, already. One way or another.

If science realizes it is, in fact, pure consciousness; it may radically change the nature of science; it's orientation and purpose.

This realization may as well be the end of science (as we know it).

Explain consciousness?  What would it mean to explain consciousness?  What is consciousness?  You see how you take these conceptual presumptions for granted?

On 1/23/2019 at 3:22 AM, Leo Gura said:

Adam and Eve partook of the devil's Forbidden Fruit of the Tree of Knowledge and here we are.

Contemplate

knowledge is just an appearance

@outlandish Interesting and thanks for the tip, seems like a really good read! I also get the feeling that science gets a bad rep for only relying on logic and measurements. There is so much creativity that pushes science forward.

@ivankiss You´re completely right that consciousness uses science to explore itself. Consciousness uses the mind to explore itself and mind uses science to explore itself. So ofcourse science can get insights into consciousness, only not in the same way as the mind does. 

I get the feeling that Leo and many of his "followers" on this forum looks down upon science. Maybe because Leo used to be scientific and realized it´s limitations so it´s kinda personal for him and so he, in comparison to other things, talks down on science.
I love science :) 
Also shoutout to Leo who made me see science in another light and educated me on it´s limitiations. Thanks!

Edited by luckieluuke

The closest science will ever get to consciousness is when it will realize that  consciousness can only be experienced . Then, it will create an experience within a specific set and setting, using medical equipment for safety and a special pure and precisely weighted dose substance like 5-MeO-DMT. 

Scientists and other people with various social, religious and racial backgrounds will go through the medical experiment multiple times, and their experiences and testimonies will be thoroughly recorded, beside testimonies from people who had deep mystical experiences without substances.

At some point the converging testimonies will reach a critical mass, (like tens or hundred of thousands) that there will be a specific common core of the experience, and that will be proclaimed consciousness (or the closest we can know God), in an indisputable way. From that moment on, whoever wants to place an argument against it will have to go through the experiment. 

17 hours ago, Joseph Maynor said:

Explain consciousness?  What would it mean to explain consciousness?  What is consciousness?  You see how you take these conceptual presumptions for granted?

@Joseph Maynor I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT CONSCIOUSNESS IS! Wtf. Shit man this is so hard

How can we 'know' whether 

Edited by Beau Lef