Thetruthseeker

Eben Pagan vs Seth Godin ...

6 posts in this topic

I love them both and find so much value in both. But there’s one thing they disagree on I think and not sure who to trust more 

Seth Godin says don’t try and sell to strangers with ads, flip the funnel to a megaphone of your true fans and grow them outwards. And just generally never recommends ads or social media sponsors (saying it can lose trust) 

whereas Eben still does talk about funnels, Landing pages lots of follow up marketing with time sensitive offers etc and I’ve seen him do ads for his courses on Facebook 

i love them both, but just wondered what people thought on this difference. I wonder who Leo prefers because I know he talks about both fondly. 

I’m a coach, with regular clients and a online course 

Any thoughts welcome! 

I think that the marketing strategy you use is highly dependent on what value you're providing. 

If it had been an impersonal product, Eben Pagan's marketing would have been way more useful. Most people do not really care about the hand-made quilts, howsoever cool you may think they are. While some may and they'll put the word out. 

Since you're a coach, personal recommendations are going to much more effective than an ad-I-didn't-ask-for before a YouTube video or on Facebook. Of all the personal/ business development ads I've seen on YouTube/FB, the only one I looked up is Tai Lopez because I had already heard of him from other sources - which is unlikely unless you're internet famous/notorious like him. However, the reach of personal recommendations is definitely limited in a sense. 

I'd say put 90% of your time and efforts in providing massive value and creating a following. For 10%, try doing effective ads and test the waters. 

Godin's strategy makes much more sense if your clients are internet-savvy millennials who already have a lot of choices on their fingertips. 

If your clients are middle-aged people, they MAY click an ad that solves their immediate problem/pain. 

Edited by Himanshu

@Thetruthseeker I remember having a hotdog once, in I think Silverton or Leadville Colorado. A bank Wells & Fargo was doing it as part of a marketing scheme to market accounts with the bank. Was on holiday at the time, but I remember the stage coach logo and the free hotdogs. Came to mind because I listened to a Seth Godin speech on youtube and he mentioned Wells and Fargo, in the UK they'd probably be more inclined to say sorry mate, potential clients only, but in less words. I think you got to take it for what it's worth.

Edited by RichardY

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 7:28 PM, Thetruthseeker said:

I love them both and find so much value in both. But there’s one thing they disagree on I think and not sure who to trust more 

Seth Godin says don’t try and sell to strangers with ads, flip the funnel to a megaphone of your true fans and grow them outwards. And just generally never recommends ads or social media sponsors (saying it can lose trust) 

whereas Eben still does talk about funnels, Landing pages lots of follow up marketing with time sensitive offers etc and I’ve seen him do ads for his courses on Facebook 

i love them both, but just wondered what people thought on this difference. I wonder who Leo prefers because I know he talks about both fondly. 

I’m a coach, with regular clients and a online course 

Any thoughts welcome! 

I'm more in agreement with Godin's perspective, and this is how I've grown my coaching business. And it goes more along with my personality and my branding as a result.

As life coaches, you and I are valued for authenticity and being personal and accessible. So, if you create a ton of ads to get people to you, it feels "salesy" and inauthentic to younger generations. This is especially true because in the age of the internet the more authentic you are the better. But if you give away a lot of content away for free, and then mention that you also offer some paid content, your bigger fans will likely want to partake in those services. And it doesn't feel salesy or pushy to do so.

That said, if you're selling some product where you wouldn't be creating other content in relation to it, then you'd need to employ ads. For example, on my FB, I get a lot of ads for clothing and period products that pop up on my timeline. And they don't really have a lot to share in terms of free content that they could give away. So, for those products, it's more appropriate to use Eben Pagan's view.

But when you yourself are the brand and the service you're offering relates back to yourself, people will only want to interact with you if you're authentic. And if you get too "advertisey", it will feel inauthentic and it will drive away a lot of quality clients.

If you’re interested in developing Emotional Mastery and feeling more comfortable in your own skin, click the link below to register for my FREE Emotional Mastery Webinar…

Emotionalmastery.org