OrpheusNovum

What I realized about enlightenment today

33 posts in this topic

I sort of had an epiphany while letting out my anger in a more productive way. Yesterday, my argument with Leo caused some stir. Today, I think I gained the ability to get at the heart of what he's saying, and it's pretty interesting. 

What happens, even with words, is that created words are unconscious ego-projections of perceived meanings that create a sort of gnostic stacking system. The more people stack knowledge upon knowledge within this system, the more believable the system becomes, and the more vivid the illusion. After all, it all sits and stacks on a projective fabrication of something that does not exist! 

Science itself as a concept is an ego fragment of someone's perceived angle of illusion of "what is". Using words invokes and projects the perceived meanings of the fabricator of these concepts. 

What does this mean? The fuck if I know. But color me intrigued. 

Edited by OrpheusNovum

"Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all."

-Aristotle 

HAHA. Fair enough. 

-Aristotle 

@OrpheusNovum Be aware of the ego’s tendency to trade a set of concepts it finds unpalatable for a set of concepts it finds palatable. This is the ego playing a game of bait and switch. 

The deeper issue to get at is the attachment and identification with beliefs, regardless of wether you find them displeasing or pleasing. 

3 minutes ago, Serotoninluv said:

@OrpheusNovum Be aware of the ego’s tendency to trade a set of concepts it finds unpalatable for a set of concepts it finds palatable. This is the ego playing a game of bait and switch. 

The deeper issue to get at is the attachment and identification with beliefs, regardless of wether you find them displeasing or pleasing. 

Can you elaborate?

-Aristotle 

24 minutes ago, OrpheusNovum said:

Can you elaborate?

The ego will grasp and identify with ideas, thoughts and concepts. 

Become aware of the underlying sense that these are “my” thoughts and ideas. There is a subtle attachment and identification that is just below your awareness radar right now. 

You might be tempted to think more and figure things out, yet this will keep your mind distracted. The most important thing is to become aware of those attachments/identifications to beliefs.

Beliefs are really important to hold the egoic structure together. The ego will fight like hell to protect them. It will avoid, blame, defend, distract, cause fear or pleasure. There is a highly evolved egoic defense system and it doesn’t get deconstructed easily. 

Putting cracks together into attachment and identification with beliefs is really important in dismantling it’s fortress. 

I sense some genuine willingness and openness present here. Be aware if the ego tries to close that window of opportunity.

I guess my frustration comes from my understanding of this being "all action is ego, therefore don't act", which contradicts taking massive action to change your life. How am I supposed to get anything done?

-Aristotle 

Gotcha. Drop that thought for a minute. If what I write doesn’t resonate with you, you can pick up the old thought again. It’s not going to go anywhere for now.

Consider that all actions have an underlying motivation. Some type of seeking energy. For most humans, the motivational energy is need based. We want to meet our needs. we want to feel comfortable, secure and happy. This gets distorted within egoic dynamics. Countless beliefs and ideas about life has been conditioned into the brain. We get conditioned to see the world as it relates to personal needs. Our actions become transactional. The ego constantly thinks “What’s in it for me?”. This leads to separation and suffering.

As we become aware of egoic attachments and ideas, we can begin to release them. We lose the need-based motivation.

Since this is pretty much the only source of motivation you know right now. its natural to ask “If I lose that motivation, there won’t be any motivation and nothing will get done”. This can be true at a transitional stage. Personally, I could barely get out of bed for a couple weeks. Then, a new source of energy arises that is not fueld by egoic needs. It is much more genuine and pure. It is energy of life wanting to experience itself. 

This may seem a bit woo woo, yet you have personal experience of this. Go back to when you were a kid - before the story ruled your world. Imagine doing something you loved. Perhaps climbing trees or playing soccer. You didn’t do it to look cool, you didn’t do it so your parents would be proud of you, you didn’t do it because you were told to. You were living in the moment climbing a tree for the pure joy of climbing that tree. You were energized up that tree by a life force. That is a glimpse of it. It is home. It’s what we all truly desire deep down. To return home. 

There is still action, yet the identification of being an actor dissolves. 

Ahhh, so here I am with the root of my problem. I'm a performing artist with the belief that my work only operates smoothly and as it should as long as I carry the need for attention. My attack was the result of the belief that I can't have my life purpose without ego, because method acting is the process of ADOPTING ego to convey truth. I guess I should stop practicing method, and look for another way. 

-Aristotle 

Which is not to say that I haven't found and understood some of the tricks and traps along the way, but that many of them have been ignored for the sake of performance. The show must go on, as they say.

Edited by OrpheusNovum

-Aristotle 

6 minutes ago, OrpheusNovum said:

Ahhh, so here I am with the root of my problem. I'm a performing artist with the belief that my work only operates smoothly and as it should as long as I carry the need for attention. My attack was the result of the belief that I can't have my life purpose without ego, because method acting is the process of ADOPTING ego to convey truth. I guess I should stop practicing method, and look for another way. 

Which performing art do you practice?  I was an amateur jazz musician (trumpet) for about 10 years myself.  I played many jam sessions and other gigs.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

@OrpheusNovum You can continue acting. I’m a scientist and thought  I would have to quit since to walk a spiritual path. Not the case. It has gone deeper and more integrated.

@Joseph Maynor Super cool! I love live classic jazz. Can you play All Blues? Or Flamenco Sketches? My two favorite jazz trumpet songs.  

@OrpheusNovum The Tao Te Ching is a good book for being, it's relatively short. http://www.with.org/tao_te_ching_en.pdf

I wouldn't jump to conclusions, but given how a lot of actors end up, really messed up. Johnny Depp, Marlon, Brando Robert De Niro etc. Method Acting is probably not the best.

Still; a lot of power there to be wielded.

I wear masks, my good man! A tragedian of sorts, and of many trades. Singing, poetry, comedy and acting. Time to paint the mask and put it at the bottom of my trunk as a memento. Time for heart to shine through.

Edited by OrpheusNovum

-Aristotle 

I'm starting to get a rush of poetic flow, this is exciting! How has science deepened since your enlightenment?

-Aristotle 

8 minutes ago, RichardY said:

@OrpheusNovum 

I wouldn't jump to conclusions, but given how a lot of actors end up, really messed up. Johnny Depp, Marlon, Brando Robert De Niro etc. Method Acting is probably not the best.

And Heath Ledger ?. It’s an intense business.

Yet, some breakthrough - like Jim Carrey.

2 minutes ago, OrpheusNovum said:

I'm starting to get a rush of poetic flow, this is exciting! How has science deepened since your enlightenment?

Go with the flow!

These days, science is a hybrid of Leonardo Da Vinci and Deepak Chopra. An integrated mystical wonderland. 

2 minutes ago, Serotoninluv said:

And Heath Ledger ?. It’s an i tense business.

Yet, some breakthrough - like Jim Carrey.

Honestly, my whole family dynamic is based on Jim Carrey jokes. My siblings and I will call each other up just to fling around quotes from Ace Ventura. Liar Liar was my favorite movie when I was 6 years old. It was the hardest my mother and I had laughed together. She hated him before that, but it brought us closer.

-Aristotle