jconn96

Out of body experiences - Anything to be gained?

5 posts in this topic

So having read all 3 of Robert Monroe's books on the phenomenon of the out of body experience it intrigued me as to weather or not this is something one should pursue whilst doing consciousness work. I've only had a few myself and what's funny is they actually require you to be very focused and present otherwise you will just end up back in your body so it does take a bit of work on this side to actually make the most of them. In his second book about OBE's he talks about things happening in his 'real' life as a result of his astral escapades e.g. psychic abilities, knowing exactly what card will be drawn next in a card game, another example was him falling head first and nothing happening to him as though some 'force' wouldn't allow him to be hurt. All of this is just his word and I'm not experienced enough to know the effects of having a lot of these experiences but it got me wondering if there is some insights that could be gained from it. 

Thanks.

It might open you up a bit. Don't go for it too hard if it doesn't come naturally

Imo, astral stuff tends to be a huge waste of time, other than perhaps for opening up your mind. I used to mess with astral stuff a lot after I first hit nonduality, entities, gods, what-have-you, and was rather enticed by how alien it was. Things seemed cool, and I thought I was doing highly conscious thing simply because it was out of the realm of "ordinary" experience.

I'd later realize that instead of getting caught up in the bizarreness, real spiritual work tends to be quite straight-forward, and is all about self-purification and constant self-reflection. Tapping into some subtle energies is not something I see as relevant to true growth. It's just a subtler level of mind. If anything helped me grow, it was probably the really bad experiences, like hell realms and demons, since those helped me realize I was lying to myself when I thought I had largely conquered fear and suffering. Nevertheless, the real lesson for me was to not get seduced by fanciful aspects of spirituality and become more grounded in self-purification and depth.

If you're still interested nevertheless, then I'd at least recommend checking out David R. Hawkins on YouTube. He was pretty experienced with that kind of stuff and knew well of its limitations. I agree with a lot of his conclusions and views on it.