Alex

Best Time for Meditation

12 posts in this topic

Basically I want you to tell me about your experience with meditating on different times during the day and on which time you experience the best results. Personally I only meditate before going to sleep, because it fits best into my schedule and out of habit (on and off mediator for 2 years now,) 

I am looking to switch things up a little bit in the hope to get more consistent with my meditation habit and increase the benefits I gain from it. 

In the morning before you start your day has been passed down by many masters because you set yourself in a calm, mindful and conscious state for the rest of the day to come. Although its not always the best method depending on the person, situation or lifestyle you must find what works best for you.

I find both before bed and in the morning is even more effective or multiple times a short for shorter periods rather than one long period.

B R E A T H E

6 hours ago, Alex said:

Basically I want you to tell me about your experience with meditating on different times during the day and on which time you experience the best results. Personally I only meditate before going to sleep, because it fits best into my schedule and out of habit (on and off mediator for 2 years now,) 

I am looking to switch things up a little bit in the hope to get more consistent with my meditation habit and increase the benefits I gain from it. 

i do not bother, to read any previous replies. so you'll forgive me. for repeating what might have already been said. But sir, I have to ask, what is the purpose, of this thing you call meditation? What is it, that you are trying to achieve? You see. And in asking yourself this question. You will either be embarrassed or not, at your reply. And I don't need the answer, to your question.

I'm interested about this topic as well

So far I did one hour morning + 1 hour evening, and i'm thinking to move to 1 hour morning + 1 hour a few hours after before lunch because it would suit more my schedule, but not sure if it would change or not the quality of the 2nd hour to move it there or not

From my experience first most important is to have the meditation placed at times where the stomach is quite empty or at least not too full, so definitly not after meals and before meals is good, and besides that sometimes I find my morning meditation being "bad" if i'm overall tired and therefore too tired in the morning, and if not maybe better in the morning because there is no train or thoughts/happening going on there is kind of the wake up reset going in our favor

Morning middle of the day and night 

Watch your breath though the day 

Question your very being also

Be mindful of everything 

Mentally chant OM 

DO concentration practice with your meditation and self inquiry 

Listen to high frequency tones 

Early morning after a nice sleep. To be specific 4.00 Am. It is called brahma muhurtham in India hinduism. The idle time for meditation to realize brahmam. 

If I remember correctly, Leo made a blog post about it way back. What he basically said was, that you want to meditate when you are at your peak (midday) although it's very counter-intuitive to sit and do nothing at that time.

Use the Prayer Swat Team!

@Alex  I usually meditate in the morning after my gym workout, or right before breakfast on non-gym days.  

I find that after the gym, I'm super relaxed. And for about 3-4 hours after meditating, I'm super focused and purposeful, aware. 

Recently I also discovered that meditating on an empty stomach, right before breakfast, also gives me a weird clarity. I've been wondering whether fasting plays a role in this clarity (the 40 days and night theory of Jesus and Buddha) and I'm experimenting with it. 

Also I am at 20 minutes per session. It takes me about 15 minutes to really get to the point where I can settle down and begin to observe my thoughts.  I did a 45 minute session about a month ago and felt sleepy around 30 minutes, though that quickly subsided. 

I also meditate in bed - it actually helps me fall asleep.

@Alex Whenever you can feel comfortable doing consistently. Morning is probably "best" on paper, but that doesn't mean it is the best for YOU.

"The greatest illusion of all is the illusion of separation." - Guru Pathik

Sent from my iEgo

You'll develop an inner sense for this.  I never know in advance when I will meditate.  I just do it when it feels right to do it.  Similar to how one might eat upon feeling hungry.  Some days I'll meditate for 30 mins.  Some days I'll meditate for 2 or 3 hours, it just depends.  And I never try to force meditation either.  I just surrender to it for as long as it needs to be.  It's like eating, you don't really force yourself to eat, you just stop eating when you're full -- it's an automatic sensor.  Meditation has that too.  

Edited by Joseph Maynor