Manjushri

How to treat psychosis naturally?

21 posts in this topic

I'm having psychotic episodes, and I don't want to end up in a mental hospital. I also have horrible insomnia and I have medication for that but the medication is just too harmful (zyprexa) for my body to take it. I'm desperate and don't know what to do. I'm mustering up my last resources as a cry for help here before I go down the drain of unconscious hell because I'm currently in a really undeveloped environment (family) that can't help me and stage orange society. If I even mention meditation, that would be crazy as fuck.

I was meditating too much and I got extreme gains. and now I got a shit body even though I'm 19. when i say shit i mean unable to make myself food, and it's not a question of will... For 20 days now already I'm trying to recuperate myself from glimpses and I just can't ground myself in daily life. I need to be functional at least now. Help?

psychosis is really just saying your reality is not different to those around you in my opinion. i wouldn't even go as far to say your psychotic. it just feels like that.especially doing this work, we all atleast feel like once in our lives we are going through psychosis. i myself included.  i would just say ground yourself in the present moment and do what you really need to do (actualise), this will ground a fundamental, for like 3-4 months and when you look back in hindsight you will atleast have the feeling you've moved forward and have more clarity on the issue as well as direct experience. 

what kind of meditation did you do? :)

Insomnia sounds awful. I used to have it to some extent before. Really annoying stuff :D

Edited by Salvijus

There are "nootropics" and supplements.

https://examine.com/supplements/sarcosine/

https://examine.com/supplements/d-serine/

etc

Scroll down here to see different supplements that have evidence in treating schizophrenia, whether its related to psychosis i dont know. But supplements can many times act like medications.

https://examine.com/topics/symptoms-of-schizophrenia/

I'm sure there's other treatments that dont involve medications with large side-effects like therapy. Maybe exercise.

Insomnia can trigger psychotic episodes.

The best natural medicine for that is shamanic snuff. It calms your mind down... 

If you can’t find that, I’d say check with a psychiatrist, and he’ll probably prescrive you an antipsychotic (like risperidon). It can really help! 

Edited by Gabriel Antonio

also, maybe you could try niacin (vitamine b3) or cbd oil.

Edited by Toby

@Manjushri You might consider seeking professional help with a provider you resonate with. I worked with a green-level social worker for a few months during an unstable period. She was open to a wide variety of healing modalities and I found it helpful. 

Also you can always try different medications if you want to try.

I can totally relate. I'm speaking from personal experience here. Do your research, find a therapist, do your best to eat a healthy diet, get lots of sleep, meditate in moderate doses. Find a psychiatrist and take meds until your mind stabilizes. Be patient. It takes time before things improve.

@Manjushri you're just starting the same kind of thread over and over and not offering enough background.

tell us more about you. what is your story? how is your relationship with your parents? how did you get into such complicated situation? was it a gradual process or did something really bad happened to you all of a sudden?

you can't separate your emotional struggles from your day-to-day life.

unborn Truth

I had psychosis once which ended up so bad I was unable to walk up the stairs. It's correlated with a 3 day retreat where I get spiritual gains and then actually see the world a bit differently and a lot of shit comes up and I'm unable to handle it myself and then I go and actually put myself in unwholesome situations because I actually don't love myself.

I can't ask for any help because I don't know where to start. I'm labeled as an attention seeker because in my first psychosis episode we checked lots of doctors to see if it's not a physical issue. Now I got physio-psychological problems that are out of hand and I don't even want to say they're out of hand because it would affect my mental state. I kept my mental health in check by only consuming good content and having "good" thoughts which I achieved by meditation.

I'm forced to see a psychiatrist (I'm 19) and don't want to get admitted in a shithole mental facility here in Belgrade, that would ruin my life entirely. I was obsessing about that idea and what would happen here if I stayed at home (me fucking my life up) that it's becoming true.

I don't want to become a vegetable!!!! 

I guess I had really bad habits because i was "living" a yogi life and didn't ever care about anything, just lived in the Absolute. now reality hit me and I got nobody to rely on. My family is really unreasonable but I'm the crazy one here. Nowhere to ask for help, but I don't want to give up. My cognitive functions are shit because of all the self-unloving actions I did - fucking my life up, not eating, etc. I just don't know what to do when I'm unable to do things. Only let them unfold and land in the most horrible mental hospital ever!

It's a big problem that I swept under the rug actually because I wanted to repress it ASAP and get on with my life. I had a strong ego to maintain that, but now it all shattered and I'm a stupid 19 year old kid who's having psychosis. It's a self fulfilling prophecy

Perhaps you are looking to deal with Yellow/ Turquoise problem in an Orange matter? Medications and doctors will not be able to solve an existential crisis. It is also possible that your retreat took you way above your current level of Spiral and you need to come back because you jumped 1-2 stages ahead. 

A concious lifecoach or a therapist might be able to help you out instead of sedating you. You need someone to talk to who will not think you are crazy but who will see what is going on there on much deeper level. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

I would avoid all psychiatrists and psychologicts. They can't help you. They themselfs need help.

There're things that could help you i believe. I think if you bring balance to your mind or if you bring balance on all levels, body, mind, emotions and energy then your condition could improve dramatically. But it has to be a proper practice specifically designed to bring balance in these areas. Not a random practice with random results.

Consider learning proper Hatha Yoga or Kriya that brings balance and stability to your system. It did tremendous things to me but i don't know how it will work for you. But having a balanced and stable mind can never turn out to be bad.

Edited by Salvijus

3 hours ago, Salvijus said:

I would avoid all psychiatrists and psychologicts. They can't help you. They themselfs need help.

These kind of generalizations are not helpful. There are tons of "psychiatrists" and "psychologists" that at least meditate, know what the spiritual path is about and some even are spiritual teachers. And even if they are not, there might be some usefulness for some people for some time.

16 hours ago, Manjushri said:

It's correlated with a 3 day retreat where I get spiritual gains and then actually see the world a bit differently and a lot of shit comes up and I'm unable to handle it myself and then I go and actually put myself in unwholesome situations because I actually don't love myself.

Don't do solo retreats again, and avoid spiritual practices at least for now. 

6 hours ago, Toby said:

These kind of generalizations are not helpful. There are tons of "psychiatrists" and "psychologists" that at least meditate, know what the spiritual path is about and some even are spiritual teachers. And even if they are not, there might be some usefulness for some people for some time.

+1 

@Manjushri Isn't there a different psychiatrist you could go to? 

On 1/19/2019 at 7:23 AM, Manjushri said:

I'm having psychotic episodes, and I don't want to end up in a mental hospital. I also have horrible insomnia and I have medication for that but the medication is just too harmful (zyprexa) for my body to take it. I'm desperate and don't know what to do. I'm mustering up my last resources as a cry for help here before I go down the drain of unconscious hell because I'm currently in a really undeveloped environment (family) that can't help me and stage orange society. If I even mention meditation, that would be crazy as fuck.

I was meditating too much and I got extreme gains. and now I got a shit body even though I'm 19. when i say shit i mean unable to make myself food, and it's not a question of will... For 20 days now already I'm trying to recuperate myself from glimpses and I just can't ground myself in daily life. I need to be functional at least now. Help?

Sorry to say this but there is no natural way of treating most forms of psychosis naturally just like there are limits to treating diabetes naturally. To a large degree, most psychosis is a result of physical wiring in the brain that needs to be manipulated to work somewhat normal.

What you can do is do tons of research, find the best medication for you and take the smallest amount that works. That may come with a lot of experimentation. 

Edited by Matt8800